ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5 stand etiquette
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Is it appropriate or ok, if I mount my gun and track targets if it not my turn? Perhaps only at certain times, for example, I am at station 5, and I track the targets for station 1 shooting?

I figure it is one way to practice mounting my gun and tracking/seeing targets. But I don’t want to annoy folks

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: 5 stand etiquette
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

Not a good practice where I shoot, others may disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:03 pm 
Tournament Grade

A distraction for other shooters. May not be allowed by club management.
Certainly would not be allowed shooting trap for example.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

I don't shoot a lot of 5 stand, but I know I wouldn't appreciate seeing you following targets as you described.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:29 pm 
Limited Edition

No. I try to stand still when I’m not up, statue still when the shooter to my immediate L or R is up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:06 am 
Tournament Grade

No, it is not appropriate!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:20 am 
Presentation Grade

Absolutely not!! Unless it's your turn to shoot don't mount a gun!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:56 am 
Tournament Grade

Definitely a no no at my club. Best practice is to stand still with no movement to distract the other shooters until it is your turn.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:14 am 
Utility Grade

Id say no to mounting the gun, but depending on course layout, you could track it with your hand. For example Sandonona has dividers so shooters cant see one another. I found it helpful to use my hand to follow a few targets.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:37 pm 
Crown Grade

I would see nothing wrong with tracking the targets with your finger, but NOT a mounted gun.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

That would be a great practice exercise. Many shooters though are really distracted by
what other shooters are doing, and they have a hissy fit if someone points at targets
while they are shooting.

If you could put together a squad of shooters who did not mind, it would be a good exercise.
Good luck trying to find that squad, but you may be able to find one or two others and shoot
with them. Then you could all improve your shooting and focus during distractions by shooting
with each other. If I were in your area you could recruit me to join you squad. I am in Texas
right now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

When I am scoring, and I see the wrong shooter mount his gun, I stop the squad, because I assume he thinks it is his turn, and I don't want him shooting out of turn. Some of the younger shooters track birds with their finger, and it doesn't seem to bother anyone. It must be something they have picked up somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:09 pm 
Crown Grade

I kind a have trouble believing a shooter on station 1 would see you way down on 5. Why don't you ask where you're shooting. Everyone on the squad and puller would have to say ok first. I know at my club you could.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:05 am 
Limited Edition

Man I thought the trap shooters had their panties in a wad. Maybe I’m a different shooter…when I’m on the stand the ONLY thing I’m concerned about it what I’m doing and when it’s my turn to shoot the rest of the guys could be having a party and I would have no idea what in the hell is going on…I’m focused on the bird, you want to use your gun to track the bird…have at it…hell if you shoot out of turn, guess what…I don’t care; that has happened. There are a million other thing to worry about in the world and a guy standing beside me tracking my birds while I shoot is not on the list…no matter how long. lighten up Francis…

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:05 am 
Crown Grade

I am pretty sure that mounting and tracking targets designated for another shooter are not allowed in any shotgun discipline.

However, if you have a bunch of like minded folks having fun; that is a different story. In past I have shot with a bunch of experienced 5 stand shooters who always shot a bird if rightful shooter first missed it. Just fun & games and it was done among accomplished & safe shooters.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:17 pm 
Limited Edition

I'd say it's pretty gauche and tasteless.

Imagine if you were playing billiards with someone and he "needed practice" lining up his shots, so every time you were taking a shot, he's squat a the other end of the table with is face down by the pocket you're going for. Good practice for him? Maybe. But still gauche and tasteless.

If you need more practice time tracking targets, go out to the range on your own sometime at sunrise or sunset, when there's nobody out there, and get more solo practice time. When you're shooting with friends they may be OK with it if you ask, but if shooting with strangers it's not a time for this kind of self-improvement.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Like the other guys said not really a good idea.

Would you like someone doing it when you were shooting? I think not.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 8:59 am 
Crown Grade

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:
Would you like someone doing it when you were shooting?

My eyes are on the target, I have no idea what the other guys are doing.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:36 am 
Crown Grade

bladesmith wrote:
I kind a have trouble believing a shooter on station 1 would see you way down on 5. Why don't you ask where you're shooting. Everyone on the squad and puller would have to say ok first. I know at my club you could.

Why have trouble? What if the shooter's target is from the right, especially if the machine is right next to the right side of the 5-stand? His eyes will be watching the machine/arm and you sticking a barrel out could easily be in his way.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Wed May 12, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I know FITASC has a rule against it. Someone in my squad raised gun and followed bird. Ref said only time you ever close a gun and raise it is when you are ready to shoot. He stated you cant raise any where on the grounds. That was FITASC but I just follow that for everything. I use my left hand when seeing birds. I don't move during someone else shooting . Agree with ref or puller thinks you have messed up and think its your turn.