ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White Line recoil pad removal
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:40 am 
Field Grade

I have just purchased a Miroku 800 skeet 28” o/u shotgun in mint condition. I want to check, clean and lubricate the action. However it is fitted with a WHITE LINE Pachmayr recoil pad, made by Gun Works, Los Angeles. There are no holes to unscrew the pad, does anyone have any advice on removal without damaging the pad? Many thanks for any help

Post subject: Re: White Line recoil pad removal
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:32 am 
Crown Grade

Are you sure? I bet there are holes that are just covered up. Look closely for 2 small "disturbances" in the face of the pad where screws would be pushed through. If not, the pad was glued on and that would be a mess to remove. I have never had to do that so will not comment on proper technique.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:15 am 
Diamond Grade

I have found well concealed screw holes by dragging my thumb heavily across the recoil pad.

I have cut off a recoil pad with a hacksaw blade because the screw heads were so damaged, the screws could not be backed out.
I stoned the rake off the hacksaw blade teeth and cut carefully, right next to the wood.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 am 
Tournament Grade

How did you deal with removing the shank of the screw that remained in the butt after cutting the heads off the screws?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:45 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for help, pushed screwdriver in same position as Miroku plastic butt screws and found the 2 screws, flat headed

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:24 am 
Field Grade

Westender wrote:
How did you deal with removing the shank of the screw that remained in the butt after cutting the heads off the screws?

I won't speak for booknut, but I have used two different methods: (1)carefully fixture it in a mill and center drill the offending screw stub - with a left hand drill if available - then use an appropriate screw extractor, or (2) using a Dremel and a thin cutting disc, put a new screw slot on the stub and back it out with a screwdriver. This second method is only practical in wood, and where something is going to cover the slightly damaged surrounding area. HTH.

geo

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

I didn't deal with the remaining screw shank.
Fastener holes are not all located in the same spacing, in recoil pads.
I drilled new holes for the pad I was installing.
If I needed to remove the screw shanks, I would leave 1/4 inch of shank above the wood.
Some screws are very hard to cut with a hacksaw. This approach may not suit all problems.