ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun fit
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:49 am 
Utility Grade

I’m a 73 year old bird hunter who recently took up skeet shooting to improve my bag limits. I never realized how poorly a couple of my shotguns fit other than being to long until recently. I have short arms and not much of a Neck.
I had a so called gunsmith cut down my Benneli 832U and adjust the cast with the included shims.’ The length feels fine but when I mount the gun my right eye won’t go far enough to the right to line up with the front sight. Sorry, that is the only way I know how to describe the problem.
I pointed this out and was told that was all the adjustment there was. Not sure what to do. No one near me does stock fitting. One other thing, my cheek bone takes a beating when I get things lined up. I live in yakima Washington about 1.5 hours from the next larger cities (Tri-Cities). Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Gun fit
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:24 am 
Tournament Grade

Welcome Carlyle. Sounds like you need an adjustable comb.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:40 am 
Crown Grade

Welcome to SGW ! ! {hs#

Before doing anything drastic, you might want to first flip the shims.....

There's a chance that the shims were installed for cast-on ILO the cast-off you need to get your eye aligned with the top rib.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Carlyle,

An adjustable comb may or may not help position your eye farther to the right to align your eye with the rib. It depends on the plumpness of your cheek.

If the shims do not work to achieve the cast-off that you need, you will need the services of a stock fitter or stock maker. He may be able to bend the stock to get the cast-off needed or he may be able to change the way the stock fits into the receiver.

As far as the beating your cheekbone is taking, several things may be causing it. The following list of possible cause is in no particular order:

Too much or too little cheek pressure on the comb can cause "cheek slap."

Needing to mount the gun with your neck leaned forward can also cause it. When the neck is leaned forward, the end of the cheekbone is the part that makes contact with the comb and that is the most sensitive part of the cheekbone.

The "pitch" on the stock may be wrong for you. Pitch is the angle formed by the end of the recoil pad and the rib, approximately 90 degrees. The pitch is correct for you when, as the recoil pad makes contact with your shoulder at the end of the gun mount (with the barrel raised to a normal shooting height), the whole recoil pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder.

It the pointed "toe" of the recoil pad makes contact very much before the top "heel" of the pad, it can cause cheek slap.

The fix for the wrong pitch is simple; just cut the stock to correct it.

There are several stock makers/fitters in Washington; Just Google stock makers or stock fitters and there may be one within a reasonable driving distance. Or with luck, you may be able to find a gunsmith who could alter the stock or install an adjustable comb.

Here is one that I came across: https://www.gunstockmaker.com/about.html

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:05 am 
Field Grade

One other thing, my cheek bone takes a beating when I get things lined up.

3 common reasons for cheek slap: 1 you are rolling/ tilting your head over the stock to align beads and pressing your cheek bone down onto the comb, 2 too much weight is on back foot, 3 lifting your head off comb.

I bet #1 is an issue for you (was for me) - do NOT tilt head. Eyes stay flat to ground - dont tilt your eyes into some funny 45° position.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:49 am 
Presentation Grade

Mount the gun to your cheek, not your head to the gun.
You can sand the shims to fit a little bit. Look at a few videos before cutting. I have a chunky face had a adjustable comb installed. Make sure the stock guy knows what he is doing or he may ruin the stock.
Try this, stand erect, close your eyes, raise gun to your cheek, see where the gun ends up.
Have a friend check the fit. As for pitch, wear a tight t shirt and mount the gun, see if the pad is entirely hitting the shoulder. If not loosen the pad and add a few nickels and tighten to change pitch. This is only for reference, a full shin can be bought on line. Look at you tube videos.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks Capt. sounds like good advice. So far no reply from the stock maker in Burbank Wa. one of our club members is trying to thin one of the shims for more cast. I’m attempting to contact other gun fitters somewhat near by.
Patterned the gun yesterday and found both barrels shooting approximately 6” to the left at 25 yards. Height was just right. ☹️

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:22 pm 
Field Grade

Carlyle wrote:
Patterned the gun yesterday and found both barrels shooting approximately 6” to the left at 25 yards. Height was just right. ☹️

Poi equally left on both barrels? also consider eye dominance issue. If your right eye is aligned with the beads over a barrel-obscured point target and your left eye still sees the point target, you may have a tendency to shoot left.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:44 pm 
Utility Grade

My skeet mentor reworked the shims and it now hits where pointed for him and he is breaking birds with it. We were both shooting to the same point when we patterned it so it should be on for me too.
I will give it a dance tomorrow and let y’all know how it does.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:32 am 
Crown Grade

Good news. for sure !

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:31 pm 
Utility Grade

Shot it yesterday and patterned it with 1 oz federal and 1 1/8 Winchester. The Winchester pattern was a little low and the federal were just about right. It shot a little right now but it is acceptable. Instead of shims he used 8 pieces of electrical tape for another shim. I figure with some more shooting the tape will compress a bit and the pattern will shift and be right on. I can live with it!
When I shoulder the gun the bead is right on target. Many thanks for the help.