Shotgun Forum banner

WD 40

128K views 85 replies 50 participants last post by  SuperXOne 
#1 ·
First of all ... Thanks to everyone who has answered all of my previous questions. Secondly ... Happy x-mas to you all. Last of all , my question.

Before i put my shothun away, i spray the whole thing with WD40. i have been told by a friend that this will soften the wood !!! . Is this correct ?

What is the best method to store your gun to avoid rust etc etc.

Hope you can help ?

Cheers

Jim

#27 ·
MGF said:
Re the "myth" WD-40 leaving a buildup on guns, I take my advice on this from Michael McIntosh's "More Shotguns and Shooting," which devotes a page in the chapter called "Odds & Ends" to the WD-40 question. McIntosh writes that he asked two of the best gunsmiths he knows, Abe Chambers and David Trevallion. Both mention buildup and say they do not recommend it for fine guns. Trevallion even is quoted as saying, "The bloody stuff can even gunk up V-springs till they won't compress."

Personally, I think I'll take the word of the Purdey's-trained gunsmith on this one.
:D Put your faith where you will. :D

That is why we have freedom of religion in America, but as for me, I would be a little suspicious of a statement such as the one above about WD40 fouling V springs until they won't compress. This is obviously nonsense and that alone relegates the rest of what the man has to say to the BS catagory.

The man may be a good gunsmith, but that alone does not make his judgement on lubricants the final word.

I am reminded of the blind man who's sight was restored by Jesus who, when asked if Jesus was a prophet replied, "I don't know if he is or he isn't, all I know is that I was blind, and now I can see."

I am in the same boat with him--All I know is that I have used WD40 for at least 40 years and it has served me well. Have I been lucky? I don't know, all I know is that it works for me..... 8)

#30 ·
FWIW, I carry a can of WD-40 in my pack. If Im in the field and need to get dust, dirt or other gunk out of my gun, I have a pressurized cleaning system with me. If my gun takes a dunk in water, I can get the water out and some form of oil in.
When I get back to the truck or home, Its Break Free CLP and wiped down with Hoppe's 9. I dont use WD-40 as a long term storage, just a short term fix.

#31 ·
Seems like many of us have had the same experiences and are saying the same thing in different ways. The term "build up"... I don't think anyone is saying if you spray some WD on, then spray more, then spray more... you will get a build up. Seems what people are saying is what was described by Bob.

" Hydrocarbons (oil based products) are volatile (Meaning they will turn gaseous)(evaporate). Some faster than others. WD-40 has a small percentage of oil, so when the thinning, penetrating, carrying distillate evaporates there is not much protectant (oil) left. This too will evaporate albeit at a slower rate. ++Leaving behind an ever increasingly thickening oil. Because this oil is of natural base it tends to oxidize faster turning yellow then brown..."++

I recently had to clean a shotgun that hadn't been shot in many, many years... probably 30+ There was a "build up" of yellow gunk, undoubtely some for of organic hydrocarbons... OIL...Some was very sticky, some hard depending on wether it was inside of the gun, or on the outside... Was it WD...Don't know but it was hard to clean off which matches with another posters experience...

"I can say from my own experience. If you leave a gun set for a year with wd-40 in the action it will be very gummy and will need cleaned out."

The tests showing WD to be a great anti rust agent.... boy oh boy, not by my experience. I suspect tests like statistics, can be made to show anything you want... My experience was the opposite rust with WD, no rust with Tri Flow... straight and simple. The only rust problems I have ever had with a gun were when I was using WD.

I believe WD is a VERY GOOD product when used for cleaning, degreasing, removing h2o it's the best. For long term gun storage, or even for a lube on moving parts... Not for me, been there, had problems, won't go back because some test is opposite to my extensive experience with WD, if I can't believe my own experience...eyes...

#35 ·
JimLittleDevil said:
Well folks

Is WD40 anygood on Hornets Nest's ? I only ask because i seemed to have stirred one up by asking this question .. lol

Thanks for all the advice , i will take it all on board

Jim :lol:
Just as long as you leave wd-40's exact opposite out of the arguement, we will be fine.

#36 ·
Fronty Owner said:
JimLittleDevil said:
Well folks

Is WD40 anygood on Hornets Nest's ? I only ask because i seemed to have stirred one up by asking this question .. lol

Thanks for all the advice , i will take it all on board

Jim :lol:
Just as long as you leave wd-40's exact opposite out of the arguement, we will be fine.
Ok guys, the thread has strayed a bit (at least for me).
Would like to see the thread sway back to the "wood"
aspect of it all. Personally, and it also seems to be
the consensus here, everyone agrees WD-40 is great
for bore cleaning, "dirt flush" agent, water remover,
and limited long term rust prevention, we get all of that.

But lets get back to the "wood" end of it. i.e. different
types, finishes (in terms of sealing out the WD-40), etc.

ergo, can I use WD-40 to hose out the receiver of my
new BT-99 receiver without jepordizing the super glossy
stock ? Using that 'brake clraner', er, ah "Gun Scrubber"
is great suff (go thru lots of it), but used on some plastics,
it will dissolve it, and probably attack the finish.

I know WD-40 won't do this, but what I wonder about if
it gets to the stock from the "inside" where its not all
glossy etc. My guess is it appears that even on the inside,
the wood pieces have a dusting of unpolished varnish
which should "seal" the wood from WD-40 (or anything).

Thoughts, comments (on WD-40 and walnut)

#38 ·
Keep any petroleum-based oils or solvents off of your gunstocks. The only oils that belong on wood are linseed, tung, or any other vegetable-based finishing oils. If you're reasonably careful in applying your exterior protective coat of oil with a rag or a patch, it's pretty easy to keep the oil on the metal and off the wood.

And yes, sealing the inletting on your stocks with a polyurethane or varnish is also a good way to keep any oil (or water, for that matter, if you get caught in a downpour) from penetrating into the wood via the action. Again, if you're reasonably careful in applying the least possible amount of oil to the action, and only to the moving surfaces, you'll avoid any problems. Excessive oil just attracts dirt. Some people even store their guns muzzle down to avoid any potential for lubricating oil working its way down into a buttstock. Oil soaking into the tang and wrist or grip behind the trigger guard has ruined many a buttstock--especially on older sidelocks, where the wood in these areas is very thin to begin with. The oil it absorbs renders it spongy, and cracks usually develop soon thereafter.

#41 ·
Well, it's been quite a while since I've been here. And I think the WD40 subject was being "discussed" then too. Kinda like watching a soap opra.... story doesn't seem to change much over time :lol:

I have a few collectibles that I pull out about every 6 months or so, and wipe down with Hoppe's oil. It seems to be working ok. But with all this talk of rust, if there's something better I'd sure like to know.

What do you guys think about wiping the metal down with synthetic motor oil, before putting guns away for months at a time?

#43 ·
WD is very impressive... for 72hrs!! That is the length of the test. From what I gather from the test results, if I wipe my gun down with WD every 72hrs, WD would be great. I don't, and don't know anyone who does or who even wants to.

I suspect tests run for prolonged time, with modern oils, Rem oil, Tri Flow, over say 3 weeks or 6 weeks, from what I have seen in my welding shop of the bare parts coated with WD, well, I switched to Tri Flow and never had the rust problems again that I had experienced with WD. 72hrs is not the kind of test that represents what will happen over say a month, 6 months, not a "real world test" in my opinion. The data from the test does not sway me, but thank you for posting it so I could read and decifer it for myself.

Best to all,

#44 ·
bel_dad said:
WD is very impressive... for 72hrs!! That is the length of the test. From what I gather from the test results, if I wipe my gun down with WD every 72hrs, WD would be great. I don't, and don't know anyone who does or who even wants to.
I don't plan on leaving mine outdoors in the open for more than 72 hours, so I guess I'll keep using WD-40.

#46 ·
My rust problems wern't outside they were inside over extended periods of time. With a tube bender, (and my poor 45!) when your bending role cage steel, the mandril has to be bare metal (where the tube contacts the bender). When I was living in Florida, I couldn't keep mine from rusting while using WD. Wasn't till I went to Tri Flow that the rust problmes went away. I believe WD is a very thin oil with much volitates that evaporate quickly, leaving a very thin film of oil that doesn't hold up well over time. Perhaps if you live in lower humidity areas, and wipe frequently (every 72hrs??) WD would be great...WD is a superior cleaning product. I don't believe it is a good long term rust preventive based on personal experience. The test sited seemed like a poor test of a long term rust protector. I don't see a corrilation between 72hs outside on a flat panel, laying flat...and a round barrel inside, left for say...2-3-4-6 months.

Great that you like WD, it's a free country. I had problems and found the solution was giving up WD. We are all free to use what we like, based on personal rust experience, I have given up on WD for rust protection and use it exclusivley for degreasing and getting water out of the action etc. It's great for that.

I liked the post where the guy was cleaning with karosine and lubing with synthetic motor oil I think this is a very smart man!!... but... he didn't say what synthetic motor oil... Valvoline???? Quaker???? Casterol??? Mobil 1??? Now don't try and tell me they are all the same!!!!!!!! 8) :lol:

#47 ·
You guys don't know what you are talking about. I use WD-40 to clean my bores then peanut oil for exterior protection. Sesame oil to lube the moving parts and just plain old Canola oil for the wood. I suppose there will be those that disagree with my choices, but you know,, you don't get a vote..It is MY choice and I don't need people bad mouthing MY choices, If they work for me,, so be it ,, I am happy with them, go jump on some other bandwagon.

#48 ·
Are you crazy or what? Peanut oil, sesame oil, canola oil....man, don't you know that plain old corn oil works just as well and is cheaper?!

Sheeesh! Next thing you know somebody will be suggesting a really old-fashioned lubricant like sperm oil. Do you have any idea how many men would have to exhaust themselves to produce that?

#49 ·
I think WD-40 is great stuff for firearms...been using it for 30 years without any problems. I used to hunt ducks a lot on the Texas coast, and that salt water spray can be pretty rough on firearms. I continue to use it pretty much exclusively on all metal parts and surfaces. And I like good old Hoppe's #9 for the bore to both clean, and prevent rust. I spray all metal parts and surfaces and leave it alone for awhile...the propellent evaporates and leaves a thin film of WD-40 to lubricate and protect. Then I wipe it down a little, and I'm good to go. This has worked for me for a long time. Good luck with whatever works for you.

#51 ·
Love this place! 4 pages on WD-40! :D

I can attest that WD-40 is great for removing gumy labels off wine bottles, for you homebrewers. It is also good for paint removal on metal (minor specks I'm talking, not major stripping). It seems to keep cupboard door hinges from squeaking.

Gunwise, I use it for removing plastic fouling in barrels, and for washing down a very wet waterfowl gun. Other than that, G96 does whatever else I need. That, and a bit of grease for the break guns. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.