ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: re: WD 40
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:01 am 
Field Grade

Well, it's been quite a while since I've been here. And I think the WD40 subject was being "discussed" then too. Kinda like watching a soap opra.... story doesn't seem to change much over time :lol:

I have a few collectibles that I pull out about every 6 months or so, and wipe down with Hoppe's oil. It seems to be working ok. But with all this talk of rust, if there's something better I'd sure like to know.

What do you guys think about wiping the metal down with synthetic motor oil, before putting guns away for months at a time?

Post subject: Re: re: WD 40
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:27 am 
Diamond Grade

Bill21351 wrote:
with all this talk of rust, if there's something better I'd sure like to know.

Paste this link into your browser to see how the most popular rust preventatives stacked up after an empirical test by an unbiased, authoritative source:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTec ... &t=1&i=503

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:10 am 
Crown Grade

WD is very impressive... for 72hrs!! That is the length of the test. From what I gather from the test results, if I wipe my gun down with WD every 72hrs, WD would be great. I don't, and don't know anyone who does or who even wants to.

I suspect tests run for prolonged time, with modern oils, Rem oil, Tri Flow, over say 3 weeks or 6 weeks, from what I have seen in my welding shop of the bare parts coated with WD, well, I switched to Tri Flow and never had the rust problems again that I had experienced with WD. 72hrs is not the kind of test that represents what will happen over say a month, 6 months, not a "real world test" in my opinion. The data from the test does not sway me, but thank you for posting it so I could read and decifer it for myself.

Best to all,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:42 pm 
Crown Grade

bel_dad wrote:
WD is very impressive... for 72hrs!! That is the length of the test. From what I gather from the test results, if I wipe my gun down with WD every 72hrs, WD would be great. I don't, and don't know anyone who does or who even wants to.

I don't plan on leaving mine outdoors in the open for more than 72 hours, so I guess I'll keep using WD-40.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:42 pm 
Utility Grade

AHHH, good old WD-40. I hope they oil the hinges of my coffin with the stuff.

Spray a little on some catfish bait and see what happens. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:55 pm 
Crown Grade

My rust problems wern't outside they were inside over extended periods of time. With a tube bender, (and my poor 45!) when your bending role cage steel, the mandril has to be bare metal (where the tube contacts the bender). When I was living in Florida, I couldn't keep mine from rusting while using WD. Wasn't till I went to Tri Flow that the rust problmes went away. I believe WD is a very thin oil with much volitates that evaporate quickly, leaving a very thin film of oil that doesn't hold up well over time. Perhaps if you live in lower humidity areas, and wipe frequently (every 72hrs??) WD would be great...WD is a superior cleaning product. I don't believe it is a good long term rust preventive based on personal experience. The test sited seemed like a poor test of a long term rust protector. I don't see a corrilation between 72hs outside on a flat panel, laying flat...and a round barrel inside, left for say...2-3-4-6 months.

Great that you like WD, it's a free country. I had problems and found the solution was giving up WD. We are all free to use what we like, based on personal rust experience, I have given up on WD for rust protection and use it exclusivley for degreasing and getting water out of the action etc. It's great for that.

I liked the post where the guy was cleaning with karosine and lubing with synthetic motor oil I think this is a very smart man!!... but... he didn't say what synthetic motor oil... Valvoline???? Quaker???? Casterol??? Mobil 1??? Now don't try and tell me they are all the same!!!!!!!! 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:40 pm 
Crown Grade

You guys don't know what you are talking about. I use WD-40 to clean my bores then peanut oil for exterior protection. Sesame oil to lube the moving parts and just plain old Canola oil for the wood. I suppose there will be those that disagree with my choices, but you know,, you don't get a vote..It is MY choice and I don't need people bad mouthing MY choices, If they work for me,, so be it ,, I am happy with them, go jump on some other bandwagon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Are you crazy or what? Peanut oil, sesame oil, canola oil....man, don't you know that plain old corn oil works just as well and is cheaper?!

Sheeesh! Next thing you know somebody will be suggesting a really old-fashioned lubricant like sperm oil. Do you have any idea how many men would have to exhaust themselves to produce that?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

I think WD-40 is great stuff for firearms...been using it for 30 years without any problems. I used to hunt ducks a lot on the Texas coast, and that salt water spray can be pretty rough on firearms. I continue to use it pretty much exclusively on all metal parts and surfaces. And I like good old Hoppe's #9 for the bore to both clean, and prevent rust. I spray all metal parts and surfaces and leave it alone for awhile...the propellent evaporates and leaves a thin film of WD-40 to lubricate and protect. Then I wipe it down a little, and I'm good to go. This has worked for me for a long time. Good luck with whatever works for you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Ruger, well I tried tong oil.... great for the stock, but my auto just doesn't cycle like it use to... don't understand it, can't be the tong oil, oil's oil.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

Love this place! 4 pages on WD-40! :D

I can attest that WD-40 is great for removing gumy labels off wine bottles, for you homebrewers. It is also good for paint removal on metal (minor specks I'm talking, not major stripping). It seems to keep cupboard door hinges from squeaking.

Gunwise, I use it for removing plastic fouling in barrels, and for washing down a very wet waterfowl gun. Other than that, G96 does whatever else I need. That, and a bit of grease for the break guns. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

to hijack the thread a little.

Anyone use LPS 3?

We use it all the time at work, but mostly for assembly protection

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:41 pm 
Field Grade

I work with a fellow that is into wood working and he says that WD40 if put on a stock , especialy oil finished or bad nicked stock. The WD40 gets in after awhile and displaces the natural moisture in wood and that is what weakens the wood. Just like if you see a old single Brl like a Hopkins & Allen or the H&R toppers that has had lots of 3in1 or gun oil put on it and stored in a corner the wrist or pistol grip area get soaked in that oil and can crack or brake. He soaked a pice of walnut in wd for a month and you could actually fell the wood compress, the wood was dryed but no finish. thats what I saw, but I use WD to clean chokes , put then in and half hour just swab it out and they are clean. WD on metal yes, wood noway.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL HERE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm a lineman and I work on the West Coast of Vancouver Island.Right on the Pacific Ocean in the rain forest.Out here,things rust!The only stuff that we use to keep our tools rust free is WD40.Been using it for 30 years and plan on using it for another 5-7 years,
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:06 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

WD 40 has some uses in gun care. It is a good water displacer for metal surfaces until you can get a better oil.

I will never put it in the action of one of my autoloaders and I will advise hunters in cold climates not to use it. It is not a good lubricant and it turns to a heavy gooey grease that will stop a gun from working in cold weather.

The next time it gets down to single digits spray a little WD 40 in a saucer and put it out in the cold. Look at it 20 minutes later and you will see why it is a very poor choice for hunters. I have seen it gum up the triggers on O/Us too.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:28 pm 
Crown Grade

ruger4570 wrote:
You guys don't know what you are talking about.

But isn't this a subjective statement as well ?

ruger4570 wrote:
,, you don't get a vote..It is MY choice and I don't need people bad mouthing MY choices, If they work for me,, so be it ,, I am happy with them, go jump on some other bandwagon.

We _know_ it's your choice, no one has ever challanged that...
If you are sensitive about bad mouthing "YOUR" choices,
bear in mind, that just as much as it is "your" choices/vote,
its also someones elses right to 'bad mouth' your choices too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mokeman3 wrote:

So what's your choice, Mokeman: peanut, canola, or sesame?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Bonasa wrote:
Mokeman3 wrote:

So what's your choice, Mokeman: peanut, canola, or sesame?

Well, what do YOU think? Of *course* sesame oil...
I mean, humans can't eat "peanut" oil and survive,
so how in the hell do you expect an expensive gun to ?
( I wonder why the guy never went with "olive" oil ? )
Me? heck, I'm an old-fashioned boy from Pa - I'm a
"Penzoil" guy through, and through... hehe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

What happens if you eat peanut oil? Will you die, get constipated or the scours?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I work in law enforcement and every year when we go up to qualify, we are reminded to never use WD-40 on our firearms. Most guys up our academy are also hunters or shooters of some sort and they will not use it on their privately owned firearms as well. There are many other high quality products out there like rem oil,things from the Hoppes line.

I use WD-40 to loosen rusted bolts and stuff like that, but I don't use it on my firearms.

#541119, http://www.claysnwings.com
Introduce a kid to the great outdoors, it's addictive!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next