ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: re: Targets you like to see in a tournament
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:12 am 
Presentation Grade

This only works if you get the distance right:
A standard thrown teal style with a midi turned over underneath (inside the standard). They remain as one for a good while and then split a bit erratically. :? :)
I have shot the same thing as crossers too and it can be quite tricky deciding the order to take them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:35 am 
Crown Grade

Bob; I can see it now, that pretty P-Gun covered in K-Y

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Hello Sera, I hate supersporting with three different target throwers! Supersporting makes it a memory contest not a shooting contest. The reason it slows the shoot down is all the talking that goes on while the shooters are in the shooting station. At least half of this talking is done by the shooter trying to figure out what targets are comming next. I have only shot supersporting two times. The first time I didn't know what I was getting into and the second time the club did not advertise the shoot as supersporting. If you could see the three target throwers it wouldn't be so bad. When all thee throwers or two of the three throwers are behind the same tree or trees it is just too confusing. If I know the shoot is supersporting I will just go shoot somewhere else.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:50 pm 
Field Grade

Could someone kindly explain the different kinds of targets in sporting clays? In this thread alone, I’ve come across the following target descriptions:

Chandelles
Crows
Teals
Spring teals
Rabbit
Gravity rabbit
Fur and feather
Driven
Quartering in
Quartering out
Low incomers
Curling incomer
Crossers

If there are any other common target terms that I missed, please let me know. If you could point me to a website with diagrams illustrating these targets, that would be great.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:14 pm 
Crown Grade

chandelles: Clays thrown in a parabola(arc), can be a std or a rabbit

crows: a target thrown almost straight up --like a teal-- but w/ the bottom toward the shooter

teal: thrown almost straight up w/ the top (dome) toward the shooter(also called springing teal, after the way a teal evades a hunter...a very steep climb)

rabbit: a specialty target that can be thrown in the air or rolled along the ground....it is harder so that it will not break while rolling...known to jump when they hit a bump

gravity rabbit: a rabbit rolled down a trough so that it is going very slow...will run out of energy and fall over....most people shoot way in front

fur & feather: a rabbit on the ground and a target in the air from the same station

driven: an incomer that passes high over the stand(safely done if the line is slightly oblique to the stand

1/4ering targets are 1/2 way between a crosser and a "trap"(or outgoing) target can be thrown coing in, going out...if low, then a low incomer, usually below the shooters knees and if the terrain is good , below the feet

curlers: traps are set at an angle and this causes the target to fly in a curling motion

crossers: targets set at 90 degrees from the station(or close to that)

There are other shots, trap birds(going away) trap teal, (going high and away)....and there are specialty targets....60mm= minis.....90mm= midis and battues....battues have almost no dome and will wobble in the air, and turning about 90 degrees so that 1st you see edge and then face....they do not hold air in their domes and are quickly effected by gravity.

Last edited by sera russell on Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Sera and rta48 both mentioned the looooong incomer that dies and falls to the ground a good way out from the stand.

In UK this is often called a "decoyed pigeon" or "dropping pigeon" because that's just what it looks like.

A few real sadists set it so that you shoot it sitting down in a blind with an outgoer from behind on report....the air gets kinda fruity! This is more often seen on a fun set up rather than serious competitions, but if you get the chance to set it up you'll have a real laugh.

Another good one...a simultanious pair going away from under your feet, ie the trap is under the platform on which you stand. Ours is set so they go downhill a tad...more obscenities.

regards
eug

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Eug: I shot a "decoyed pigeon" in the FITASC at Nationals.....it landed 50 yds from the shooter....you could see it in the air for over 100 yds but right about the time you wanted to shoot , it lost all energy and fell (glided) to earth.

I was 1 for 3....aaaaggghhh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:24 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the explanations, Sera. That's going in my shotgun notebook.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:34 pm 
Crown Grade

October: welcome aboard.....curling targets are now the standard at almost every shoot.....the target setter puts blocks under the traps so that they don't throw straight flat birds....now many of the traps are designed where one can change the angle right on the mechanism itself.Some machines don't like to be tilted too much , and the targets begin to slide off before the arm can grab them and throw them.

The shooter has a lot harder time finding the line on a curling target, causing mental debate on where to take it.

Most of the time when we see a target's bottom, we think.."it's slowing down, running out of gas.".....but w/ the machines that will throw a severe curl , that is not always the case(always look at your show pair til the bird hits the ground...it will tell you better about how much spring is on that bird....also listen to the trap...it is sounds like .."drung"... the spring is off and the bird is not going too fast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Love those rabbits

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:14 pm 
Field Grade

I've seen a couple of targets thrown that come out from behind a tree. The target is semi-visible through the tree, and the sweet spot was 10-15 ft. past the tree. Basically, you had to start your move while the target was "in the tree". As long as the vegetation gives a decent look at the target, and its orange with some dome showing, should be fair. Also, the target we shot had plenty of visibility "down-range", but it was starting to fall and still going away.

Another target that gives me fits is a narrow quartering bird (nearly straight away) that is curling the opposite direction, for instance a right to left quartering bird thats curling to the right. Its so easy to see the move of the bird to the left, shoot at the left edge, only to have the bird curl off to the right and slip away. A very easy looking bird that gives me huge fits.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:00 pm 
Crown Grade

I find target setters to be an interesting group; You can almost tell what mood they were in when they set the targets :roll: In the recent weeks I have shot targets by 3 different guys with totally different aggenda's. There is a local guy we call Master Choo that everyone should experience his targets, his targets very seldom require much choke but are always in TRANSISTION at the so called sweet spot, fun targets to shoot but can and will wear you out if you shoot them on a regular basis. Brian Ash the son of Gil & Vicki Ash it seems has been mad at the world as of late. The last 2 times I have shot his targets they were STUPID hard for no apparent reason. Stephen Nutbeam (the englishman) use's both distance and speed, but his targets are very hittable if you commit to a line and breakpoint. There is a fellow over in Louisiana they call Hawk that can make a target move in ways that doesnt seem possible and make you want to pull your damn hair out. Sera's targets are fun, hittable and challenging given he has NO terrain to work with, Sera understands that there should be some easy targets at the local monthly shoots for the not so serious to enjoy. Sometimes that thought process gets lost on some of the so-called bigger named setters. I admire any setter that is willing to put some thought and work into his targets (easy or hard) to keep the Indians from getting restless. One of the things that I enjoy the most about this game is trying to get a feel for a setter and thinking I know what to expect from each individual setter. Some I cuss, some I laugh at, some I laugh with but I thank them all, because I damn sure dont want to do it :wink:

RTA48

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:13 pm 
Crown Grade

RTA48, could you expand on this, just curious as to what STUPID hard is? I have shot a lot of hard targets that make me look stupid, which truthfully isn’t very hard to do, :oops: but I am thinking you mean something else?

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:07 pm 
Crown Grade

xsshooter: What I mean by STUPID hard is, say a crosser (full spring) on edge (no dome or belly) 60+ yards thrown as part of a true pair were the other target is a short window. Report pairs that the angles are so severe from each other that it requires you to shift your feet ALOT. A battue thrown that when it opens up you have a fraction of a second to engage before it goes behindthe trees. Extreme distance on teals and crows which wouldnt have been so bad had the weather not been so ugly. It was WINDY, COLD and RAINING. Know before anyone tells me the setter had no control of the weather, the forecast all week had been for cold, wind and rain. Fowler was in the group ahead of me and I think Bobby shot an 81 (maybe) and I think he would agree with me on the targets this time. Let me clarify that I have shot some targets set by Brian that I thought were awesome, I just think he's been mad at the world or something. As a matter of fact I accused him being in cahoots with his parents, beating the shooters up so bad that they felt like they needed to go see Gil & Vicki. Brian laughed, smiled and went on his way. The point is, anybody can set these kind of targets, the good ones make you walk away wondering "How in the hell did I miss those"

RTA48

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:47 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Bustinclay wrote: "One of the trickiest stations at the Kansas State Shoot last summer was a report pair with a fast, low quartering standard target followed by a ridiculously slow crossing rabbit at maybe 10 yards out. Most of us in my squad blew right past the rabbit and shot in front. It looked so easy you either had to laugh or cry. One guy, a AA shooter, still doesn't want to talk about it."

I did not see that one but at the zone shoot here in Kansas last year Dennis Linden had a right to left report pair with a very slow, close rabbit that gave fits to almost everyone.

Thanks for this tread ,Sera. It has been a lot of fun to read.

rta 48: I agree about the "stupid hard" descriptions. I do not mind report pairs that require shifting my feet and like true pairs that put me in a quandry about which to take first. Basically I like targets that make me think. The most memorable stations to me are the tough ones that look like something I have seen while hunting.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

RTA48, that is STUPID hard! :shock:

Bad thing is I have been to shoots like that too. The really bad thing is if you have a relatively new shooter at one of these events it can totally turn them off to the game.

Target setters need to take into account there is a wide variety of skill levels at shoots.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:41 am 
Crown Grade

xsshooter: a few months back Bob Stander, Sera and I were shooting a local monthly event with a new guy. The targets were very difficult although not STUPID HARD, this new guy shot probably no more than 30 and could not have had a good time, although we tried to encourage him and keep him pumped up. The target setter that day was one of the best in the business IMO, but I dont agree with those type of targets at a local monthly event unless its advertised as such. I have reached the point were I prefer targets on the tougher side but I can remember being totally lost and not having a clue and it sure can be a demeaning experience.

RTA48

Post subject: Re: re: Targets you like to see in a tournament
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:11 pm 
Crown Grade

rta48 wrote:
xsshooter: I dont agree with those type of targets at a local monthly event unless its advertised as such.
RTA48

RTA, excellent point. A couple of times each year here at our local club the owner will have two seperate tournamnets on a weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. One of them will be advertised as "regular" tournamnet targets and the other as "tough targets". The regular targets event generally is won by 91 - 93 in Master and the tough target event is usually around 82 -84 in Master class. Everyone knows what they're getting into each day and have the option to shoot in either or both. While I've come to enjoy and appreciate the tough targets, they can be pretty humbling sometimes. A couple of times I've walked away with a 63-64 and not felt terribly embarrased. Point is, anyone who shoots the tough stuff knows ahead of time what's coming.

Now, I've been sitting here reading this very entertaining thread, glancing outside now and then at the MAJOR midwest ice storm that's going on here (you getting it too JWINTS?) and wishing I could figure out a way to get 600 miles south and enjoy whatever it is Sera's decided to "entertain" you folks with. I do have my pellet stove roaring across the room and plenty of supplies for the weekend, a generator waiting and ready just in case, so I should feel pretty snug and happy but I'm not. I wanna be down there shooting!

KK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Clayshtur; they are saying we may have some sleet here in Houston on Monday, hell they will shut the nations 4th largest city down if that happens, mid 70's tommorow and Sunday prior to the front moving in. Sera, has been absent today, Im sure he has been setting up targets for tommorow. I have a feeling he is going to try a new thing or two, unfortunatley I didnt get a kitchen pass, have to visit the grandbaby tommorow but Sunday I will try some of Master Choo's targets if the weather holds out, I read a flyer on another board today with the owner promising that SHE is having Choo go easy on everyone since it early in the year. Kind of amusing after this weeks thread :D

RTA48

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Clayshtur; since your stuck inside I thought I would kinda set the scence for you and others on Sera's shoot this weekend. It is Americana or Acadian at its best. The shoot is held in the little town of Kaplan, La. which is south of IH10 almost to the Gulf of Mexico. This is rice country, flat terrain with bayou's and swamps surrounding the rice field. This time of year the fields will be covered up with geese and some ducks. The place the shoot is held at is called Ed's. Now when Sera says its a Mom and Pop place he isnt kidding. Settng out in the rice country is Eds house and a small metal building that Ed uses as a gun shop. Attached to the house is a largemetal awning. At each shoot Ed's wife prepare's an original cajun meal to feed probably 60 or so. After the shoot everyone sits around and enjoys the food and talks about the targets and why they missed them. Most of these folks are either kin or grew up around each other, its almost like a family reunion. When towne's like me come over from the big city they really ratchit up the hospitality. It the one place that I never want to leave when Im done shooting. To me its a totally different world than here in Houston, and I like to think that there are places scattered about all over our country similar to this, just plain good folks, no hidden aggenda's, just good people being good people. Funny we never read about these kinda folks in the newspaper. :(

RTA48

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next