ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg .410 Special Purpose
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:08 am 
Utility Grade

Mossberg .410.....Anyone seen this thing or heard anything about it? <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm">www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/Specpurp.htm</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>(near bottom of page)<br><br>I haven't run across another main stream company put out anything like that and why Mossberg would choose that gauge to attach a pistol grip to (and i think its thier only shotgun model with a front factory pistol grip) at first baffled me. Then i read some of the articles on the forum about wall penetration of the 12 gauge buckshot and how a user needs to be extremely careful in range and shot size in order not to blow a hole through a couple walls. Anyone think Mossberg may be on to something here with the .410 gauge for home defense use? (I have never fired that gauge myself) <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub125.ezboard.com/[email protected]>OhNoMrBill</A> at: 4/2/03 2:10:02 am<br></i>

Post subject: .410 blaster
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

I imagine it would be light and easy to handle, and could fire more shots faster, due to less recoil. Put slugs in it and it would be kind of like firing a 40 cal pistol with shotgun grips..<br>Its an interesting gun.. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: .410 blaster
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

<!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>*Disclaimer*</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>The Following information is just that. INFORMATION. Neither myself nor anyone affiliated with the Shotgunworld forums can be held responsible in any way for actions taken as a result of any post on this webster.</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> <br><br>Much of the Over penetration topic has been outdated by articles I have read in recent months.<br><br>If someone intrudes in your home, your goal is survival. Call the Police and stay put if possible.<br><br>In a life or death situation, (we're assuming that there are no alternatives here.) you want to neutralize the person/situation as quickly as possible. <br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.firearmstactical.com/wound.htm" target="top">Ballistics Data</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--><br><br>They have illustrations concerning bullet penetration into Ballistics Gelatin. (I'm estimating that the firing line was 7-10yds.) This will help to show what I'm talking about.<br><br>a .410 slug will punch a hole just like 00buck, so in turn if you worry about penetration, you have to eliminate shot size down out of the "Buck shot" entirely. <br><br>Now, over penetration is bad, but under-penetraition is worse. On average, #7 target loads will penetrate about 4-6 inches, assuming no bones are hit. It will be a fairly devastating stomach wound at close range. Bones will probably stop small shot, requiring 1-3 more shots. <br><br>Assuming that an attacker is clean and sober this will probably stop him. An attackers on drugs could withstand the pain long enough to cause you harm before stopping the attack.<br><br>In comparing this to a 12Ga. round to in ballistics gel, will potentially bury the <!--EZCODE BOLD START--><strong>wad</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--> about 4 inches. The piece of Hardened plastic will penetrate almost as well as the #7 shot.... the #4 buck will range from 4-10 inches. 00 Buck even more.<br><br>Making the assumption that it passes through the intended target, with the reduced velocity, in most cases it should not penetrate through 2 sheets of drywall. <br><br>The best way to prevent hitting an innocent person (child, neighbor...) take a slight upward aim. Enough to clear the heads in the next room, but to force the penetration of 4-6 sheets of drywall and plywood prior to penetrating to the floor above. That now gives you a backstop of absorbing material around 2"-3" of drywall with a backing of somewhere between 1/2"-5" of wood material.(taking into account, flooring and joist impact possibilities. <p>"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective"<br>--Ted Nugent<br></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: .410 blaster
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:18 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Buck shot penetrates from a .410 the same as a 12 ga. It is the same with any shot. If the velocity is the same and the pellet size is the same then it has the exact same energy and penetration no matter if it is fired from a 410 or a 10 GA. If you are worried about over penetration from the multiple pellets then either use a smaller shot or go with a hand gun. In a handgun you only have one shot to worry about. Steven<br><br> <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: .410
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:16 am 
Utility Grade

the advantage of the .410 is low recoil. a 3 inch .410 with a slug is supposed to have similiar terminal ballistics to a .44 special, gives a person who is not a "shooter" the ability to have a "more powerful weapon" than say a .38. it's a marketing gimmick in my opinion, but if the wife can't handle a 12 (mine can't), then the .410 might be an option. <p></p><i></i>

Post subject: Re: Mossberg .410 Special Purpose
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:54 pm 
Something that no one has mentioned is that the Mossberg .410 is great fun. I have spent hours shooting at hand-thrown clay targets with it and have just loved it; low recoil, no muzzle blast, just a really enjoyable time. The result of such comfort is that you come to know the gun very well and to be very comfortable with it; an important consideration in self-defense situations. You can do a surprisingly good job with it, too; not olympic quality, but very satisfying with respect to breaking targets.
There is no question that a 12 ga. or 20 ga. would have more effect on an intruder, but being shot with a .410 would not make for a pleasant evening. I think that if a 3" .410 filled with 6's will not stop the intruder, you are in trouble; he is going to be difficult to stop with anything much less than a Bradley. Getting off an accurate second shot with the .410 could make up for a lot.

Bob