ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: opinions on M1 vs Montefeltro
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well Benelli fans I’d like some input, advice and information from the people who use these shotguns.

I’m seriously considering the purchase of a Benelli for my upland game hunting. I’m torn between the M1 in 20ga. and the Montefeltro. One day I lean one way and another day the other.

I love the look of wood on an upland shotgun right up to the day that it’s rainy and we’re sloggling through the mud, loading dogs and people into the back of a pickup and seeing everything get splattered and splashed, then the basic synthetic stock looks pretty darn good to me.

So give me your opinions on these two Benelli shotguns please.

Post subject: Re: opinions on M1 vs Montefeltro
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I live in the great pacific northwest. It rainstorms here more often than my wife's mood swings. I have subjected wood stocks to this in the past and it eventually leads to a crack behind the trigger guard, destroying confindence in the gun and resale value.

I find the Montefeltro wood quality to absolutely suck for the money being laid out. In the Monte's favor is 2oz lighter than the M1F20ga at 26" barrel, a longer slimmer forestock, and a shinier blue finish, but at it's detriment is a lack of raised rib, which I love, the common lumber pattern, and a piss-poor small safety button.

The prices are both in the $825 range.

The M1 has a large triangle safety that's easy to engage. The synthetic stocks are tough and the gun gets used for hard hunting though woods, briars, and fences; not pansy babying behind Hank from TV fame. The parkerized finish is more acceptant of scratches without showing. My M1Field 20ga 26" perfectly compliments my black Super Black Eagle 24"/28"bbl gun. Between the two, I don't need any more shotguns.

Don't tell my wife that.

Post subject: Re: opinions on M1 vs Montefeltro & on barrel length
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:17 am 
Tournament Grade

I'd never tell any gunner's wife that he didn't need more guns, that would be the ultimate betrayal.

Thanks for your evaluation of the two shotguns.

I'm also trying to decide between the 24" and 26" barrels. Hunting mostly upland game.

Post subject: Re: opinions on M1 vs Montefeltro
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:06 pm 
Limited Edition

I have the 26" M1F since these guns are already so light in 20ga that the shorter barrel is going to be kinda whippy, not to mention louder for your dog/hunting partner. Only if hunting in very very tight cover and woods would I opt for the 24".

I recently bought an extra 24" for my 12ga SBE for late season armoured pheasant and woods Turkey; at just over 7lbs, it's as light as a synthetic 12ga auto is going to get, but heavy enough that it doesn't seem whippy even in a shorter barrel. I keep the 28" reserved for duck blind work where partners would not invite me again if I blasted their hearing with a short barrel gun.