ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making a pattern board
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

I would like to pattern my gun at the local skeet range. However they do not have any dedicated area for this. They basically say to use an open space next to one of the skeet fields. I have yet to see anyone doing this and I have never done it myself. So I thought I would ask for some ideas on how to make a pattern board and stand that would be portable and will be easy to set up and use. I know there are lots of creative people out there that have some great ideas.

Post subject: re: Making a pattern board
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just staple news paper to the top half of a 4x8 plywood board and I lean it against the corn and shoot at the papered top half (4x4)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We made a frame out of 2 X 4"s, got a roll of builders paper at the builders supply (Lowes) an length of pipe. Fasten the pipe to the top of the frame, slide the roll of paper on, an pull down as needed. We put 2 nails in the bottom of the frame to fasten the paper to so it wouldn't blow around. Pull the paper down, fasten at the bottom, shoot, tear off paper, pull down more as needed. We also made a wooden box, or cover that protects the roll of paper from getting hit with shot.

It works just like a large paper towel dispenser.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Don this sounds great, I have a few questions though. Is this free standing? How high is the roll of paper off the ground? How wide is the paper roll? As for material, in thinking about portability and keeping it light (I don't have a truck), do you think 1" PVC schedule 40 sprinkler pipe would work for the frame? I assume the pellets are not hitting the frame?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Don's idea is good. We have a similar one using butchers paper and made out of metal by some studious fellow. Works a treat....just remember to take a vivid/marker to put a small circle/X in the middle of the paper to aim at for consistency and help telling the spread of shot (high or low)

Post subject: Re: re: Making a pattern board
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Clayaddict wrote:
Don this sounds great, I have a few questions though. Is this free standing? How high is the roll of paper off the ground? How wide is the paper roll? As for material, in thinking about portability and keeping it light (I don't have a truck), do you think 1" PVC schedule 40 sprinkler pipe would work for the frame? I assume the pellets are not hitting the frame?

Free standing with short lengths of 2X4's for feet. The roll of paper is about 4 1/2' off the ground. Builders paper is 36" wide. A roll cost about 10 bucks. I don't know if PVC pipe would hold up or not cause pellets will hit the frame. Schedule 80 might work better.

Skeet aren't hard to hit, just easy to miss....!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

I haven't done it yet myself but I liked this idea.

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/edu24.htm

Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Several years ago I made a patterning board from 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings with the pieces toward the shot faced with 1 x 2" pipe. Each piece of pine was attached by drilling for two bolts about 1/8" in diameter. The bolts were left a little loose so the joints at the corners would go together without leaving a gap between the pieces of wood. I glued some joints and left the others unglued. That way I could disassemble it and bring it home. The wooden facing also permits the target to be stapled. For the bottom two pieces of the "square", I used Tees for fittings. This permitted me to mount them on a stand also made of 3/4" PVC and perpendicular to the pattern board. It has lasted for about 15 or more years of testing and breaks down into a bundle about 6" across. That size allows me to store it easily in the garage. One negative is that it is so light that a wind of any velocity will blow it over. A bag or two of shot on the stand will hold it down. If you save your spent primers in shot bags, a couple of them will work as well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:02 am 
Presentation Grade

I also made a free-standing frame using 2x4's that's worked really well for the past 3 years. You'll need four 8' lengths of 2x4, two hinges, and wood screws.

First, cut down 2 of the 2x4's into 6' and 2' lengths and cut the other two into 4' lengths. Lay out the 6' pieces to form the vertical supports and attach two of the 4' pieces to form the horizontal sections of the frame (one right at the top and the other 30-40" below the top, depending on how wide your paper is). I also attached the 2' pieces along the face of the vertical supports between the upper and lower horizontal supports, just so I would have another surface flush with the horizontal supports for stapling the sides of the target.

Next, flip the frame over and attach the last two 4' pieces to the back of the vertical supports with the hinges. They will act like legs on a picture frame, allowing the frame to stand freely. The bottom of the legs should overlap the bottom of the vertical supports by about 6" so the frame can stand up nearly vertically. The completed frame will fold up flat and fit in a standard short-bed pickup. I'll try to post up some pictures tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:36 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

I just grab a 4' pine pallet, use mash clips to hold the paper on, a stapler works also but not in too much wind.

Don't get an oak pallet, it is heavy and some of the pellets will bounce back and screw up the pattern.

I made a nice steel permanent frame to be used, at least in this country you need support all the way across the paper and whatever is behind it needs to accept the shot. The steel one I don't bother with anymore and a pallet is always available.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mine is similar to others. I made a 2x4 frame about 40" square. I used two 36 inch 2x4's for supports and attached them to the frame with hinges. I then took two small lengths of 2x2 and use hinge pins to secure the legs to the frame so it would stand upright. I then used cardboard as a backing and staple craft paper to it. I bought the craft paper at lowe's in a large roll for about $10. With the hinged legs it's very portable.