ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 870 Trigger Job
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:54 pm 
Field Grade

I have been thinking about getting the trigger worked on for my Super Magnum Wingmaster (actually it is a 2nd trigger group purchased solely for this purpose from Remington right after they stopped making the Super Mag Wingmasters). I have a Remington cantilever slug barrel for this gun and right now it shoots Remington Cor-Lokts pretty well. I am looking for a good deal on a trigger job and have come up with (so far) 2 options and I am looking for more. I can send my trigger group to Tar-Hunt and for $110 they will work on the trigger just like for the DSG. Anyone with a Tar-Hunt DSG, how is the trigger? The second option that I have found is on ebay, a guy listed as bcgunsmithing who has advertised on ebay for quite some time for $40-$50 + $8 shipping. Anyone who has had this done, I would be interested in hearing your results. I also remember reading in some article about a guy in Wisconsin who works on 870 triggers, but can't for the life of me remember who it was or where I read it. Finally, anyone with a trigger job from a gunsmith in central Iowa, I would like to hear your experiences.

BigRed

Post subject: re: 870 Trigger Job
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Damn,all it should take is a spring replacement. Before I would do anything I would make sure that the trigger mechanism is free of crude and functions properly. If you want to do a first class job you can hand hone the engaging surfaces. Do NOT shorten the sear engagement. Normally the spring change is sufficient. Usually about $4.00 at the good hardware store. (Commercial aftermarket springs are available) At the prices they charge for different ones you can get a few different weights. Just make sure that the spring pressure is sufficent to reset the trigger and provide absolute reliability to the primer and resetting the disconnect. No real rocket science here ! Sear/hammer spring. I have mine a 3.5 lbs. Which for me is fine for a hunting trigger. I DO NOT RECOMMEND A super LIGHT TRIGGER.....IT IS NOT WORTH THE WORRY!
If you are not confident enough to do it a smith should be able to help you out.....reasonably.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

You can get spring kits here Apwcogan.com for almost any gun. KEEP IT SAFE!! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:23 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the help guys. I know I can get lighter spring, but I was also looking at a way to clean up the trigger and get as close to a rifle trigger as possible. I really has nothing to do with the trigger being dirty because one is brand new and the other is almost new. Sometime earlier someone had used the guy on ebay, and I was hoping I could get his experience with it.

BigRed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have reworked many trigger in my shop. It really tightens up groups when you take the travel out of the trigger, and polish it up a bit.

Be careful if you replace the hammer spring, with a lighter spring. You might start getting mis-fires from your gun, if your hammer isn't hitting the firing pin hard enough.

If you want the travel removed from your trigger .... I will do it for $40. PM me if you are interested. This time of the year, I can get it back in your hands, a week after I receive it.

Post subject: Re: 870 Trigger Job
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:35 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm with Neo. Replace the spring first. You get a 3lb trap spring at the remington country store for around $4 plus s&h.

If its not good enough then take it/send it to a gunsmith. $40 to $50 is about average.