ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ithaca Mag 10 "Roadblocker"
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What can anyone tell me about the above shotgun? I understand it was the "law enforcement" version of the no longer produced Ithaca 10 gauge with a 21 inch barrel. I have never heard of a tactical or police 10 gauge before. Is this on the level? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Ithaca Mag 10 "Roadblocker"
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:06 pm 
Field Grade

Yep! It's the real deal. The last one that I saw was about 20 years ago, and it was a beast. I don't remember too many specifics about the gun, other than it was extremely heavy for it's size. I do remember the ads in the gun magazines, and being a whole lot younger, thought it was just really cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:21 am 
Crown Grade

I havn't seen one of those in a long time either. If memory serves correct, it had a 3 round magazine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:18 am 
The Mag-10 was introduced in 1977 with production lasting until 1986. The "RoadBlocker" version of the MAG-10 was designed to give law enforcement the ability to deal effectively with criminals in vehicles. It is very heavy (around 11.5 lbs loaded weight) and is not intended for routine carry. It has a stainless steel gas recoil system, placed at the front end of the magazine tube (hence the small ammunition capacity of 2 + 1) incorporates a "countercoil" system which substantially reduces what would otherwise be an extreme recoil. In military terms, it is very limited in its usefulness, due to its heavy weight and limited ammunition supply. Occasionally, I see one or two at a gun show and the run anywhere from $1500 to $2000. Usually I see just plain 'ole Mag-10's, but sometimes a real RoadBlocker shows up. I am unaware of any accessories that were made for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:10 am 
Here is a real RoadBlocker (not a dressed up Mag-10) for auction on GunBroker.com. The price is VERY reasonable- Especially if it is un-fired.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=15433353

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mr. Ithaca- other than the barrel length what other differences are there between a regular Mag 10 and the RoadBlocker model?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:36 am 
RoadBlockers had a phospate (parkerized) finished receiver, barrel and trigger guard. The stocks are plain, un-checkered and not especially pretty walnut. Most Mag-10's I have seen have much fancier and prettier wood (with and without checkering), are brightly blued. They typically have "jeweled" bolts. As a matter of fact, most of the internal components (follower, trigger sear, shell stops, etc...) on sporting grade Mag-10's are highly polished and / or jeweled. As working guns, RoadBlockers are not as finely finished. You could made a RoadBlocker out of a Mag-10, but to be convencing, you'd have to marr or rough up the otherwise nicely finished components and stock.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:59 am 
I just remembered, I have not seen a Mag-10 that didn't have a vent rib barrel (they may have made them without a rib but I've never seen one). Roadblockers don't have ribs and all are 21". I have seen Mag-10's that were parkerized, but the barrels have ribs and the finish on the components and quality of the wood is overall much nicer.
Also, If memory serves, Mag-10 sn's start with either "M" or "Mag" and RoadBlockers start with "R" or "RB". I seem to recall that RB barrels are stamped "RoadBlocker".
It's been a while since I priced either the Mag or the RB, but the prices seem to be coming down. On GunBroker.com, there are several Mag-10's for under $700. Just a year or two ago, I would regularly see them for $1200+.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mr. Ithaca- Wow! You are a wealth of information! I see the RoadBlocker you pointed out on GunBroker.com is going for substantially more than the opening bid. Do you happen to know if Browning or Remington or any other manufacturer made a police or special purpose version of a 10 gauge?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:31 pm 
Browning made (makes?) their BPS in 10 gauge. They even made some with a black synthetic stock, but I don't think they ever made a "tactical" 10 gauge targeted specifically for the military / L.E. / home defense market. As for Remington... I have no idea, but I have never seen any Remington repeating SG in 10 gauge. I am unaware of any other mfg who made a 10 gauge for Mil / L.E. purposes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:16 pm 

Remington makes a semi-automatic 10 gauge, the SP-10. They're spendy, and they're all hunting configurations.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/sp10.htm

If you were dead set on having a 10 gauge combat shotgun and money was no object, you could certainly take the synthetic model and have the barrel cut down by a gunsmith to about 18 inches. You could probably have a mag extension tube made at a machine shop for another $150 to $500 dollars extra, depending. When it comes to firearms, litterally anything is possible if you've got the $$$.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:56 am 
Mr. Ithaca,
The Roadblocker apparently did have a vent rib option for $34 extra bucks back in 1984-85. An "RB" is shown with plain, and ribbed, barrel in the write up "Fighting Shotguns" in the 1985 Guns Illustrated, as well as in the back catalog descriptions. Most of the Mag 10 guns advertised as "Roadblockers" have 18, 20, or some other barrel length than the 22(Cyl) length. The Mag 10 Deerslayer was also parkerized, or blued, but came with a 22" barrel with rifle sights. The forend may be slightly different, but I think a lot of so-called "Roadblockers" for sale are possibly dressed up Deerslayers. If your memory about the serial number prefix is correct, and that the barrel should say "Roadblocker," then genuine "RB's" sould be easily authenticated.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:20 pm 
Arthur Fleigenheimer wrote:
Mr. Ithaca,
The Roadblocker, (as made from 1974 to 1985), apparently did have a 22' vent rib barrel option for $34 extra bucks back in 1984-85. An "RB" is shown with plain, and ribbed, barrel in the write up "Fighting Shotguns" in the 1985 Guns Illustrated, as well as in the back catalog descriptions. A true Mag 10 "Roadblockers" came with barrel's of 20, or 22(Cyl) length. The Mag 10 Deerslayer was also parkerized, or blued, but came with a 22" barrel with rifle sights. The forend may be slightly different, but I think a lot of so-called "Roadblockers" for sale are possibly dressed up Deerslayers. There were no identifying roll stampings with the name "Roadblocker" on the barrel, receiver, or even the shipping box. Also there was no special serial number with "R"/"RB" prefixes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:22 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Arthur Fleigenheimer wrote:
Mr. Ithaca,
The Roadblocker, (as made from 1974 to 1985), apparently did have a 22' vent rib barrel option for $34 extra bucks back in 1984-85. An "RB" is shown with plain, and ribbed, barrel in the write up "Fighting Shotguns" in the 1985 Guns Illustrated, as well as in the back catalog descriptions. A true Mag 10 "Roadblockers" came with barrel's of 20, or 22(Cyl) length. The Mag 10 Deerslayer was also parkerized, or blued, but came with a 22" barrel with rifle sights. The forend may be slightly different, but I think a lot of so-called "Roadblockers" for sale are possibly dressed up Deerslayers. There were no identifying roll stampings with the name "Roadblocker" on the barrel, receiver, or even the shipping box. Also there was no special serial number with "R"/"RB" prefixes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:35 pm 
8) I stand corrected (possibly amended). Just because I know a lot about Ithaca's in general doen't mean I know it all...

The only Mag-10 DeerSlayer I ever saw (in about 1989)had "DeerSlayer" roll marked on the barrel and I have seen at least two RB's with "RoadBlocker" so marked on the barrel (both were used "department" guns). I don't recall if that was universal or not. I still don't recall a RB with a rib. Not saying they didn't come (or were offered) that way, I've just never seen one. Although I think the Mag-10's are neat & cool, my speciality is in the 37/87's, though Ive owned 51's, 66's and a pair of WWII 1911's.

Thanks for keeping me straight...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mr. Ithaca,
Were you surprised at the RoadBlocker on GunBroker.com only bringing $915?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:47 pm 
:? Seemed to be a good deal to me... I would have figured that a gen-u-ine, unfired, "real" RB would have gone for between $1200 - $1500. Perhaps the price is coming down. I have a pre-ban Galil ARM that, when I bought in new in '88, accessories (mag adapter, scope mounts, etc) were insanely expensive and imposible to come by. Now, these items are available and somewhat reasonably priced. Even preban mags (35 and 50 rounders) are cheaper now than they were back in '88. Go figure? :roll: Perhaps it's just currently a buyers market for Mag-10's. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mr. Ithaca,
Do you think $425 is a fair price for a Mag-10 in NRA "fine" condition? I'm bidding on one right now. Thanks for your opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:39 pm 
Mr. ithaca,
I know there is a lot of confusion regarding the "Roadblocker" name. Ithaca says that no short barrel Mag 10, (initially ordered by the Texas Highway patrol, who after testing the gun on engine blocks coined the name "roadblocker"), left the factory with the moniker "Roadblocker" on their shotguns. This makes perfect sense since Ithaca did not use such nomenclature for this gun in advertising or manufacturing. Would a police department apply the name to these shotguns themselves? That sure seems a rather odd idiosyncrasy for them to attempt. Other than a stamp indicating a gun as a particular police department's personal property, I have never seen such practise for a PD to go out of their way to stamp pet names on their weapons. Even the Colt TSMG's owned by PD's only etched, scratched, or marked their department's name on the buttstock, and, or, top of receiver.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:44 am 
Arthur Fleigenheimer,
I believe the guns I am refering to are still in the shop at Lone Star Guns on Bandera Rd. in San Antonio, TX. I don't live anywhere near there now so I can reconfirm this. It has been about 15yrs since I was stationed there but a buddy I have there said about a year ago that they were still there (owner wants over $2500 each on them).
I am not trying to explain weather they left the factory that way or not... Just reporting what I've seen.
I own an M37 Stakeout as well. No where (except shipping the box) is it stamped with "StakeOut". It came from the factory that way. However, I have gotten reports (usually from owners in the pacific N.W.) that their guns have "StakeOut" rolled on the barrel like DeerSlayer is rolled on those barrels. These may have been marked "post production". I don't think it matters. (especially on an AOW)