ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1187 fore end support
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:36 pm 
Field Grade

I have two 12 gauge 1187's one a trap gun and the other a Premier,as I was taking the trap gun apart for a deep clean this partial sheet metal part falls out, it's obvious that the part is broken off as the end is jagged. Looking at the Kuhnhausen shop manual it appears to be part of the fore end support # 91658. The gun was working fine prior to take down, so I took down the Premier and the same section of the part is missing, any idea on what gives? both guns shoot fine.

Post subject: Re: 1187 fore end support
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Virginian is the recognized SW expert on Remington shotguns and his advice is worth waiting for. If they were my guns though, and even though they are working, I would be inclined to replace both broken forend supports on general principles. With a piece missing, they may not function as designed and could impact something else. They are on eBay as low as $21 and may be less on the Remington website or from other sources. I'll be interested in Virginians thoughts as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From Remington parts:
F91658 V-44 1187 FORE END SUPPORT 12 GA ONLY NEEDED ON 12 & 16 GA $7.21
The current supports are about the fourth iteration of this part since inception. Some guns just seem to eat them. The support on my original '63 was showing a crack in the spot weld about 1973, and I replaced it and it is still going strong. My '66 is still original. I do not know if it has any relationship to where a shooter holds the fore end or how tightly they hold it. I don't know if it could be due to improper installation. Or, if it is just a design flaw. I would replace it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:03 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the response's, I will replace the support on both guns. I was wondering if this was one of those "if it's broke and still works don't fix it" parts. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Without the forend support, the barrel will wobble back and forth a little bit with each shot. Eventually it will shear off the barrel alignment pin, then it will wobble back and forth more. Eventually it will crack the receiver.

The kinda messed up naming the part, since it has nothing to do with supporting the forend, it is there to take up the play b/w the barrel and receiver.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have to disagree Skeet Man. The barrel stud locates the barrel, and if you do not keep the magazine cap tight that will allow the barrel to develop a wobble. The fore end support is just that, a rear support for the fore end. The wings on it engage the mortise inside the rear of the fore end. Now the barrel support does provide an area to assist in preventing the barrel from rotating. Maybe you are like me and read what you are looking for rather than what is sometimes. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What is the forend support actually supporting in the forend though? What is it preventing the forend from doing that the forend would do if it were not there? If it really was a "forend support", the tongue that fits b/w the barrel and barrel support would be unnecessary. So at worst, it's performing double duty, but I can't envision what importance it actually has to the forend itself.

On every gun I've had, the forend support definitely removed the play b/w the gun and action. In most instances it takes a little force to actually insert the barrel completely, as the barrel compresses the f/e support b/w itself and the barrel support on the mag tube.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Okay, on the original style there was a small machined block spot welded to the saddle that did match up with the flat on the bottom of the barrel. It did remove some play but it was not really tight. The barrel support was not in fact, as the machined block was taller than the barrel support.
With the new style the fingers do extend back and rest on the barrel support and take some play out between the barrel flat and the receiver, but I have not had any that I would call tight. Without the mag cap being tight I can twist the barrel, albeit slightly. If yours gives a tight fit I'd say that's good.
The outboard wings that are over the action bars do engage a mortise in the fore end and support the rear of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:30 pm 
Field Grade

The forend support on my 11-87 broke recently. I have the part ordered. How is the part installed? I'm not sure if it will come with instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:00 pm 
Crown Grade

The forend support snaps onto the action bars. You hook one side of the forend support over the top side of the action bar and press the other side onto the other action bar until it spreads slightly and engages. The flat portion of the forend support should face the receiver end of the action bars. I'm not sure how helpful this is without pictures but it is fairly intuitive. Virginian may have a link to better instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The pic in the owner's manual shows it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:27 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the replies guys.