ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Clay Delay
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:03 am 
Presentation Grade

The only problem you'll have with a Clay Delay is the outrageous amount of money you'll inevitably start spending on ammo when you realize you can shoot any time you want. Seriously. You run out of excuses not to shoot provided you have the time.

Nice people at Clay Delay as well. Helpful and pleasant every time I've talked to them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

blackandgold wrote:
Wasthestumper is right. I got a clay delay and have tripled my shooting. Its really helped my sporting game by practicing on the skeet field. My skeet club is about 10 min. while the sporting clubs are about an hr away.

It's was the main contributing factor in my decision to start reloading. I couldn't afford to buy all the ammo I was chewing through off the shelf ).410, 28, 20).

Blackandgold - might I assume you are somewhere in the South Western PA area? Or maybe you were? If so, we may know each other without realizing it :)

Or... maybe you're just an Iowa guy.... :)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:46 am 
Field Grade

I bought a refurbished clay delay from the factory for a significant reduction in price. All they had at the time were the "standard model" which did not have the adjustable time delay but for me it didn't matter. I don't use it much but i should. I really think that using the clay delay by yourself and not going out and shooting round after round of regular skeet with your buddies is much better practice and will enhance your scores. Just my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:15 am 
Crown Grade

penman53 wrote:
I bought a refurbished clay delay from the factory for a significant reduction in price. All they had at the time were the "standard model" which did not have the adjustable time delay but for me it didn't matter. I don't use it much but i should. I really think that using the clay delay by yourself and not going out and shooting round after round of regular skeet with your buddies is much better practice and will enhance your scores. Just my humble opinion.

You are absolutely correct! I am a CD dealer in Richmond, VA .

Some very well known skeet instructors have told me that just shooting mostly stations is much better than shooting skeet rounds. You get to practice those stations that you have trouble with without delaying the others when shooting rounds.
If you leave a station with nothing but misses, what have you learned?

If I miss any target twice in a row, and don't know why, I move to the next station. Shoot that then come back to the problem station. I'm looking for 3 consecutive hits in a row.
Others my want to shoot 5 consecutive hits in a row.
We like to shoot all incomers with 3 shots, all the way around, then all outgoers 3 shots.
ALWAYS shoot 3 shots with no misses per target. So if you miss target #3 you can go to the nest statio, shoot it, and come back to the station you missed.
Then shoot a round of doubles, or a regular skeet round.
Have fun!!

Citori CXS 20 ga
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:11 am 
Utility Grade

I'm interested in purchasing one when I come over to USA next week but there are different versions and different voltage issues that affect us in UK ?

nssa-shoots.com

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You should contact the company directly with that question.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:34 pm 
Field Grade

The folks at Clay Delay are some great people to work with. I bought my CD about three years ago and have not had any problems at all with it.
You have lots of flexibility to be able to practice problem stations! I really like my CD!!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:13 am 
Utility Grade

casonet wrote:
You should contact the company directly with that question.

I did just that and purchased the full wireless kit and squad puller :D

nssa-shoots.com

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:46 am 
Crown Grade

You will love it!
Almost as important as your shotgun!!

Citori CXS 20 ga
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:54 am 
Limited Edition

Ther are no free lunches, kids. When you dive into your own personal regimen of target shooting you are also HOGGING the desires of others who would want to shoot and of the field's use.

The fact is this kind of device is for use where you can have the field to yourself for as long as you want and on a field that does NOT count clays/round. It's a solo device.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:18 am 
Presentation Grade

Agreed, except the part where the field does not count targets. I use my Clay Delay at three separate clubs. Every single field I shoot with it requires that I drop a coin into the box. If it is a windy day and the targets fly indiscriminately, that comes out of my pocket, not the clubs.

With regard to hogging a field for solo use; you are absolutely correct. At one of the clubs I practice, my device is practically useless as there is never an opportunity. They have limited fields, they are open to the general public, and at least one other shooter seems to always be present or would be within just a short period of time. Thus I’d be disconnecting and reestablishing the standard pull cord constantly. The ‘Squad Puller’ component that F3SKT also purchased would be ideal for that club. It makes for a very quick switch from the solo device, to the button, and then back to the solo device.

Another of the three club I practice is the flip side to that. At that facility, some sort of device is required unless you bring someone to pull for you and/or shoot with!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:27 pm 
Crown Grade

We have 12 fields. It's not a problem. We are always will to share a field if it gets crowded!

Citori CXS 20 ga
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:02 am 
Presentation Grade

blackandgold wrote:
I belong to 3 clubs. There is NEVER an issue getting a skeet or trap field to yourself.

I rarely have an issue either. Other than the designated "open" nights, where we expect shooters, it's usually pretty open. Even those night have exceptions, so I always have mine with me just in case.

A good practice regimen is not just shooting rounds. Practice is often station by station, multiple shots at the same target, refining things, trying something new. Over the course of 4-5 rounds you only see a particular target 4 times - that's not enough to imprint anything. Rounds are for implementing what you learned in practice. I've had more than a few state/world champions drill this into me.

Coin systems take care of the financials. If not, it's the honor system. I always try to pay a couple dollars more for my rounds to cover the guys who don't. Our target loss at my primary club, at least on the Skeet fields, is very low. Trap loss, conversely, is very high, but a lot of that is down to the voice activated system they implemented - lots of birds disappear over the hill while guys are still loading.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:29 am 
Crown Grade

wasthestumper wrote:

.......Trap loss, conversely, is very high, but a lot of that is down to the voice activated system they implemented - lots of birds disappear over the hill while guys are still loading.

.......and when closing semi's and pumps. Amazing how many guys just let her slam shut, and throw a bird every time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:38 pm 
Limited Edition

I just recently ran into one of these for the first time last weekend. I was amazed. I must have one, as the club I shoot at has the skeet field empty a lot. I hate having to turn around and go home when there's no one else there to pull for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:34 pm 
Crown Grade

John Henry wrote:
wasthestumper wrote:

.......Trap loss, conversely, is very high, but a lot of that is down to the voice activated system they implemented - lots of birds disappear over the hill while guys are still loading.

.......and when closing semi's and pumps. Amazing how many guys just let her slam shut, and throw a bird every time.

This is quite correct! But it can be adjusted by lowering the sensitivity (on off wheel) on the right sight if the transmitter.

Citori CXS 20 ga
Clay Delay Rep