ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A.302 not fully releasing shells from magazine
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:39 pm 
Utility Grade

I just got a used 20 gauge Beretta 302 and it has trouble releasing the next shell from the magazine. I will have 2 shells in the mag tube, press the little black button at the bottom of the lifter and about 65% of the time the shell will not release. Lifter makes a clunk and moves forward but it seems the bit attached to the bolt release (holding the rim of the shell in the magazine) can’t release all the way. Problem seems to be that the latch (attached to bolt release button) won’t move far enough to the side to let the shell drop freely—it sometimes does but usually doesn’t.

Here is what I’ve tried:

I tried to clean everything as best I could with carb cleaner and lube with clp. Including action, trigger group, magazine tube, bolt release assembly.

I tried swapping the bolt release lever/button (upper piece, lower piece, and complete assembly) with one from a 3901
-putting in the bolt release lever (lower piece) seemed to solve the problem until I had to drive in the retaining pin. That pin needed to be driven in a millimeter or two for the roll pin to be inserted. I stupidly tried to persuade it: this extra travel caused lever to bind, eliminating the progress (and removing the stuck pin afterwards was not exactly fun). So I’m wondering if maybe that pin channel might have some sort of issue?

I tried swapping in a trigger group from a 390 –almost seemed worse

With bolt and trigger group removed if I slide shells into the mag tube they can sometimes still be held slightly by what I will refer to as the top of the bolt release button (for lack of better term). On my other Berettas without the trigger group in the shells have no resistance or anything to hold them in the mag tube with trigger group removed.

When the shell fails to release upon pressing the lifter button, pressing the bolt release button in very far will release it.

Another observation is that the lifter does seem to fall more to the right side (if looking at loading gate) compared to my 12 gauge 302s.

I’ve bought a few used 300 series guns and even the most abused ones have never given me an issue, but this one really has me pulling my hair out.

I only have 302, 303 and 3901 12 gauges to try swapping parts and a 390 20 gauge.

Last edited by bearsniper on Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A.302 not fully releasing shells from magazine
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:00 pm 
Crown Grade

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=237346 Shoot the gun with live ammo and see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks LT, yes I saw the thread before posting but I think the problem there was a little different, and I no suggestions have worked so far.

I shot the gun this evening, I probably put about 75 rounds through it. The good news is that it cycled cheap Winchester 7/8 loads and 1 ounce loads well with only 1 malfunction. The bad news is that the one malfunction seemed somewhat similar to my experience with dummy rounds. The bolt was locked open but interestingly a shell had dropped from the magazine and was ready to be picked up and loaded. For some reason the gun thought it was empty even with a shell remaining. I’ve seen it where the next shell blocks the bolt from closing but this time the bolt was actually locked back and held by the gun. The lone malfunction was with a cheap Winchester 7/8 load.

It’s still pretty difficult to unload the magazine, the only way to get the shells out is to do press lifter button and then hard press the bolt release button—or shoot them..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:50 am 
Field Grade

Hi bearsniper,

I have a 20 gauge B-80 that behaves the way you described and I've never figured out why. It always functions perfectly when shooting though.

And I have a 20 gauge 303 that doesn't have that issue.

The B-80 has far more wear though, and it appears the pivot holes in the lifter have worn and are now a little oversize, allowing the lifter to shift as you also described. I've wondered if this might be part of the problem.

Anyway, it never causes me any difficulty shooting, so I don't worry about it.

As far as unloading both of them, I always remove shells from the magazine by depressing the lifter with one finger, and then pressing the shell release with another. Works great.

Have a good one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:22 pm 
Utility Grade

Glad I’m not the only one. After several hours of unproductive tinkering I handed it over to my gunsmith.

I’m sure it would have worked 99% with the recoil of the gun kind of knocking the shells loose, but I’d rather not worry about it.

Hopefully I’ll have something useful to report when I get it back.