ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gold Fusion Maintenance Question
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:11 pm 
Field Grade

Please forgive me if this is a question that has already been answered but I could not find anything in the search.

I bought a new Gold Fusion several months ago and the weapon has a couple hundered rounds through it (less than 1000 I think). I clean the weapon after every outing including a full break down and the weapon fuctions great on light or heavy loads.

The "problem" I am having may just be my own obsession. I have some black areas around the lip of the gas piston I just can not seem to get off. Also no matter how often I clean the gas bracket I am still able to get some deposits off.

I am sure this is normal but I just wanted to be sure (this is my first Browning and I want the weapon to last).

Am I trying to over clean the weapon or is there something out there that will remove these carbon buildups without damaging the piston?

Thank you for your time and have a great weekend.

Post subject: Re: Gold Fusion Maintenance Question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:25 am 

The piston and magazine tube does not need to be spotless.

The Gold is a pretty easy design to clean.

Take the forearm nut off and then the forearm. pull the bolt back a little bit and slide the barrel off. The piston, sleeve, and spring will now slide off the magazine tube. To get the bolt handle out, push up the carrier and press the cartridge stop (on the bottom of the bolt towards the front) up into the bolt and then pull the handle out. Keep the cartridge stop pushed up and slide the bolt out thru the front of the receiver. The bolt will no come apart into it's two main pieces. Use a pin punch to push out the cross pin at the back of the bolt to get the firing pin and spring out. Push out the two pins with a pin punch and pull out the trigger group. Spray the receiver and trigger group down with a gun scrubber. Let it sit for a little while and wipe it off or better yet spray it off with an air hose. Clean the bolt and other pieces with a solvent. Lightly lube the parts and put a drop or two in each rail of the receiver and let it run down them towards the back of the receiver. Lightly lube the outside of the magazine tube where the spring and sleeve ride on it. Put a few drops of oil in the trigger group and wipe or spray off the excess.

The piston is not supposed to come apart. Once a year I soak the piston in a jar of solvent overnight. During the rest of the year I will just spray it down with carb cleaner now and then to clean it. the best pistion cleaner that have used is from Slip.

http://www.slip2000.com/choketube.html

I like to clean the recoil spring and magazine at least once a year or after the gun gets really wet.

To clean the magazine tube take out the spring retainer. Put a flat tip screwdriver in the square hole and push in and up on the tap . The retainer is under some spring tension, so keep your hand over it to keep it from flying. Clean the spring and follower. Clean the inside the tube like you would a barrel. Lightly lube the spring and reassemble.

To get at the recoil spring the stock will need to come off the gun. Use a Phillips screwdriver to remove the pad. Put a little soap on the shaft of the driver where it goes into the pad. This will keep it from tearing. The screws go in on an angle, so you will need to move the driver around a bit. Once the pad if off there will be a nut that holds on the stock. Take off the nut followed by a spacer ring followed by an oval plate. Now the stock will come off. With a rag in hand grab the end of the tube. There will be a cross pin that needs to be pushed out. You will need to slightly push down on the plug at the end of the tube. Warning: the spring is under tension. Make sure you have a good grip. The towel/rag is for when the spring comes out. It will more than likely be full of black nasty grease that will stain anything it touches. Clean the spring and the other pieces. Clean the tube like you would a barrel. Lightly lube the spring and it put back together.

Also make sure to clean out the gas ports once a year with a drill bit. Start with a smaller bit and work your way up. A 7/64 bit is the biggest for my Gold 3 1/2". Slide the bit in and out of the ports by hand so you don’t remove any metal.

Last edited by Worc on Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:45 am 
Field Grade

Worc

Thank you for the information. I did not think it would hurt but wanted to be sure. The information about the mag spring is handy as well. I have never done this so I may have to just to ease my own mind.

Thanks again.

Post subject: re: Gold Fusion Maintenance Question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:41 pm 

Worc - You should make this a sticky. Great info here!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:29 am 
Presentation Grade

Hey, I know this is about the fusion, but What about the gold's? I've taken apart the piston, and completly cleaned it out and put all the parts back together. You said you shouldn't take it apart, I was wondering why. I've put about 300 rounds through it since then, and haven't noticed any problems.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:03 pm 

Browning states not too take it apart. I half heartly tried to take a few apart and the ring would not budge. I guess if you can get yours apart easy, it should be fine. The piston does not need to be spotless.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ok, thanks for the reply. I just took a putty knife and slipped it in the groves and twisted it. It was really dirty, but it cleaned up really good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:33 am 
Tournament Grade

Man I dont know how many people I have told about Slip 2000 gas & choke tube cleaner it's GREAT!! What I like most is no stinking up the house and the stuff is the best I have ever used to clean gas pistons or choke tubes!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:07 pm 

Quote:
Man I dont know how many people I have told about Slip 2000 gas & choke tube cleaner it's GREAT!! What I like most is no stinking up the house and the stuff is the best I have ever used to clean gas pistons or choke tubes!!!

It just melts the carbon off. Good stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

I took the piston from my Gold Fusion apart last night. Now I know where all the gunk goes. I've been amazed by how clean this gun shoots. That gas piston can hold a lot of junk even after it looks like it's clean from the outside. The piston came apart no problem but it did not want to go back together. I'm hoping I didn't do any real damage to it trying to put it back together after giving it a thorough cleaning. If anyone is thinking about taking that piston apart I'd say think twice. If by chance I did cause some damage, is there someplace where a person can buy another one?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:21 am 
Field Grade

There is a gunsmith selling a Browning Gold / Winchester X-2 Gas Piston Tool for dis-assembly and re-assembly. I noticed it back in Sept. on e-Bay. Have not tried it but looks interesting.

His e-mail address is [email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:10 pm 
Field Grade

Good post, I use paint brush cleaner you get at home depo, works like a charm, and fairly cheap as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:41 am 
Utility Grade

Worc wrote:
...To get at the recoil spring the stock will need to come off the gun... Once the pad if off there will be a nut that holds on the stock. Take off the nut followed by a spacer ring followed by an oval plate. Now the stock will come off...

Hi all, i know this thread is quite old but i'm desperate in need of help...i'm new to this forum and i've just got myself a new Winchester SX2 yesterday. Having read this thread earlier, i've followed step by step in order to make a thorough cleaning to the SX2 (can't find any relevant threads under Winchester topic).

But the problem is, after removing the butt pad and the nut, the spacer ring and the oval plate just can't be removed and needless to say the stock won't come off. The spacer ring is of 'cone' shape, smaller end is between the oval plate and the screw threads, the spacer ring is small than the screw threads hence can't be removed. The spacer ring is not threaded.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/displayimage.php?album=11&pos=0

i've been trying to figure out how the spacer ring was placed in between the oval plate and the nut but to no avail. Appreciate your help... :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

The oval plate and the spacer under the nut should just fall out as on my Browning Gold and Silver. It might be stuck because this is the first time you are taking it apart. Give the butt stock a few taps with something that won't damage it and see if those parts ball out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 pm 

It could be the cross pin in the recoil tube snagging on the bevel spacer. You may need to giggle it around some to get the spacer off.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:30 am 
Utility Grade

yes!! it's the cross pin! it's real hard to remove the spacer, some force was applied in the process.

after the stock was pulled off, i could see that the cross pin was slightly longer than the stock tube diameter which caused all the problem. i've done some filing and it's now smooth as :D

Thank you very much for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:33 pm 
Utility Grade

I just came back from the range and my 12 GA 3" GH was stove piping on every shot. While I cleaned it before the range, I think it needs a deeper cleaning mentioned in this thread (IE removing the magazine tube etc).

I have two q's:

1. What are you guys using to soak the piston?

2. I noticed before the range there was some carbon residue on the magazine tube that I couldn't rub off with remington carb cleaner. What's a good way to remove old carbon?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:40 pm 

GoodOmens wrote:
I just came back from the range and my 12 GA 3" GH was stove piping on every shot. While I cleaned it before the range, I think it needs a deeper cleaning mentioned in this thread (IE removing the magazine tube etc).

I have two q's:

1. What are you guys using to soak the piston?

2. I noticed before the range there was some carbon residue on the magazine tube that I couldn't rub off with remington carb cleaner. What's a good way to remove old carbon?

Thanks!

From my above post: The piston and magazine tube does not need to be spotless.
The piston is not supposed to come apart. Once a year I soak the piston in a jar of solvent overnight. During the rest of the year I will just spray it down with carb cleaner now and then to clean it. I'll be trying some of this stuff a little later this year.

http://www.slip2000.com/choketube.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:20 am 
Tournament Grade

Last edited by valkrider on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:53 am 
Presentation Grade

I pull the barrel and run a patch through it. I work a tooth brush over the works and apply just a tad of light oil. Shoots fine.

Just because a gun can be taken apart doesn't always mean that it should be taken apart. I don't do serious surgery until a gun stops working. Then it's to the OR.