Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to load some 1 1/4oz 12 gauge loads for crows i have a recip from around 1985 (hand book of shotshell reloading)

1 1/4oz
fed hi power target hull
23 gr. green dot
ww12114f
fed primer
1220 fps
9200 psi
2 ?s first is the fed topgun hull same as the old (1990s) fed high power target hull with rolled paper base wad
second this is old published data i think it can be trusted any opions would be helpfull
reason i wanted to use this is have all comp. on hand and won't need more than 2 or 3 boxes for family i figured load the feds once and throw them away.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
gtipton said:
I need to load some 1 1/4oz 12 gauge loads for crows i have a recip from around 1985 (hand book of shotshell reloading)

1 1/4oz
fed hi power target hull
23 gr. green dot
ww12114f
fed primer
1220 fps
9200 psi
2 ?s first is the fed topgun hull same as the old (1990s) fed high power target hull with rolled paper base wad
second this is old published data i think it can be trusted any opions would be helpfull
reason i wanted to use this is have all comp. on hand and won't need more than 2 or 3 boxes for family i figured load the feds once and throw them away.
I don't remember if the Fed HP Target hull had a low basewad, or high, but I THINK low rolled paper. Check to make sure; low is what you want.

Alliant still lists that exact load for Federal PAPER; 1235fps & 9900psi, so you should be fine. Plastic v. paper walls are not going to add much, if any, pressure, but I'd drop to 22gn, just on general principles.

Top Gun or T&F are mostly constructed the same, anyhow. The TG have a compressed fiber basewad, not paper any longer, but they are the same hull & same data. I wouldn't use them for anything approaching 11000psi, but they are good one-and-done hulls.

Old data is generally still good, if the powder has not been reformulated. GD has been tweaked, but only to make it less nasty. Burn rate and density/drops were unaffected, according to Alliant.

Good question about old powders, however.

Question for you. Are your primers Fed209? or 209A? It matters, but I think by 1985, all Federal primers were 209-A.

GS

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
gtipton,
Yes, for all practicaql reasons, those hulls are the same, and that load is listed in the 2000 edition of Alliants Reloading Guide, although it shows a chamber pressure of 9,900 PSI.

That load will work OK, but IMHO that is a poor wad for that Federal case. Some Powder migration is going to be present with that wad. A far better wad would be the Federal 12S4, which is designed for the Federal cases and 1-1/4 oz. loads.

However, even with a little powder migration, you won't have any problem with them, and so I would say, go for it.

DLM

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank guys i thought the psi looked low for that load don't know if i miss read it or if todays reloading books have much more reliable psi. and fps. data than some of the older books

buy the way their fed 209s from the late 80's
my win 209 primers are from the 80's to i think i was paying $12.00 a 1000 back then the good old days

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
I just finished the last of my Green Dot loading up the same load with #5s and #4s for pheasants. I prefer to use the Federal paper hulls for hunting loads but have used Top Gun/Hi-Power/Game/Field/Multi-Purpose/whatever hulls I had on hand. I have seen discernable difference in these hulls in decades and probably won't for a like time to come. I like them as the faster powder is not affected much by the often frigid temperatures one finds when hunting pheasants in the upper Mid-West. When temps begin to drop below 20 degrees, the slower buning powders tend to be negatively affected in their burn rates more than the faster powders in a given load weight. Using a "hotter" primer is of limited value in comparison to the powder type. I like these hulls for when using an auto as I don't mind not finding them so much. I try to pick up all my hulls as I consider that littering but that can be difficult with an auto hence the use of paper hulls when possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.