Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the local humane society has two 7 week old pups whose mother was pure springer, father was probably an aussie mix.

what kind of chances do i have of turning he/she into a pheasant hunter?

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Depends on how much of the hunting gene their mother had and how much they got from her. Aussies being herding dogs and pretty trainable who knows, they may round up every pheasant in the countryside then flush them. I think you can turn almost anything into a workable hunting dog as long as you have the patience to find THEIR gifts and keep your expectations in check.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I agree with jlp that you can turn almost any dog dog in to a hunting dog, with work(I got lucky I just had to teach my shepherd to quarter and to hold on command). First teach the dog how much fun birds are and don't belive that "only hunting dogs will hunt" b.s. I saw a three legged half Pitbull and half German Shepherd pheasant dog and he was pretty good. And as another plus I have an acquaintance who had a aussie cattle dog as his pheasant dog a while back.
Okay, I'm ranting. I'll stop now.
Good luck with your possible new pal.

ps.s This is a subject that I am esp emotional on so I tend to rant rave but be sure to keep you expections in check and if he doesn't hunt you can at least know that you saved a dog from the pound.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice. i'm on the board of the local humane society, so i hear where you're coming from. i'm going to be the foster home for the pups and see how it goes.

·
Registered
362 Posts
A job is a job to a dog... How well they do it depends on multiple things: drive, genetics, disposition, environment, health. You get the idea. Just dont set the bar to high for him and enjoy whatever he can do for ya.

Guys in the birddog game tend to be very breed and line proud. Many of them have years or sometimes even generations raising and training one line of one breed. That does not mean its the best or only way to go. It just increases the chances of getting a successful bird dog the first time out.

I know of many high dollar birddogs that have been rejected by some trainers cause they 'wont make'. That does not mean they wouldn't be fine hunters, they just wont make it to the level the owner wants. So they give the dog to someone who wants a family pet and only a moderate hunter. The gentleman picks another dog and trys again...

In your situation; I say go for it!
:shock: I heard of a Rat Terrier that backs and honors...
I gotta get me one of them!

·
Registered
123 Posts
So I have been talking about my dog Mr guy a lot, but he is 1/2 ausie and turned out to be a great little helper on my hunts. With very little training too. I watched 5-10 pure bred labs run crazy in the pheasant fields last weekend... owners screeming.. wistling.. shocking...

My dog just stayed close by, and ran around sniffing for birds. he flushed 3 hens on his own, and caught a duck that someone had shot the wing of. We didn't even see the duck, next thing we know he's got it trapped and brings it over to me.

I say 1/2 is good enough. especially 1/2 ausie.

PS do you have pictures?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
should be getting he/she (my choice, haven't decided yet) end of this week, will post to this thread.

i've volunteered to be the foster home for one of the pups until i or someone adopt it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hi,

If the 1/2 Springer comes from a field bloodline, then I'd say go for it. If it's a bench line, then you may very well end up with a pet and companion.

Sadly, the Springer breed has pretty much been split into two different dogs. There are fieldbreds that hunt and showbreds that have pretty much had the hunt bred out of them (not unlike Cockers in this country). They are even starting to lose resemblence to each other also.

The choice is up to you. But the odds of getting one that will hunt, sadly goes down dramatically if that part that is Springer is a bench bred dog.

Just .02

Dale

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
south dakota being the heart of pheasant country, and a desert for "civilized" stuff like dog shows. i doubt i'd find a show-bred dog. but i'll ask the owner how well the mother hunts.

thanks for your opinion. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts