Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having trouble finding any kind of 1 ounce wad for loading 20 gauge shells. Any help would be much appreciated. Is Remington not making these anymore or Winchester?

·
Registered
20 Posts
You didn't say what hulls you were using and that makes a difference. I load AA and Remington Premier hulls in 20 gauge. I used to load the Winchester AA20F1 wad, but it has been discontinued for several years. The Remington SP20 was what I used after running out of WAA20F1 wads, but I am not sure Remington is back producing components. If you are using Federal hulls, their 20S1 wads work well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't say what hulls you were using and that makes a difference. I load AA and Remington Premier hulls in 20 gauge. I used to load the Winchester AA20F1 wad, but it has been discontinued for several years. The Remington SP20 was what I used after running out of WAA20F1 wads, but I am not sure Remington is back producing components. If you are using Federal hulls, their 20S1 wads work well.
I’m using Winchester double A hulls

·
Registered
35 Posts
I checked them but didn’t see any. I already have some of the CB-1078 will those work for 1 ounce too?
Sorry, you're correct-- those are the 7/8 oz wads and no 1 oz wads seem to be available. The listed loads use the WAA20F1 wads which have been discontinued for some time.

Hodgdon has some published one ounce loads using the CB-1078/WAA20 but only for Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls. It looks like Precision Reloading has preprimed Cheddite 20ga hulls in stock if you want to try them:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
There are no 1oz wads being produced currently, maybe some will come available again after the ammo shortage. Until then there are a couple recipes using large hulls (federal) and the normal waa20 wad for 1oz. Lymans has a couple i believe.. Obviously this is only doable because of the wad mis-match (tapered in a straight hull) and you will probably get powder migration and pretty large fps swings after carrying them for a while. It is basically the only option unless you find some old stock wads that someone has in their basement.

The last bag of 250 waa20f1 i saw sell on ebay was $55.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are no 1oz wads being produced currently, maybe some will come available again after the ammo shortage. Until then there are a couple recipes using large hulls (federal) and the normal waa20 wad for 1oz. Lymans has a couple i believe.. Obviously this is only doable because of the wad mis-match (tapered in a straight hull) and you will probably get powder migration and pretty large fps swings after carrying them for a while. It is basically the only option unless you find some old stock wads that someone has in their basement.

The last bag of 250 waa20f1 i saw sell on ebay was $55.
I was hoping someone might know of some or have some they were never gonna use and want to sell them

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was hoping someone might know of some or have some they were never gonna use and want to sell them
I think the rules have changed here with the new format and there is now a posting threshold for you to be able to buy and sell here, so be careful you're not fishing for a ban. @Curly N, @dogchaser37 or another administrator/moderator can tell you.

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
I think the rules have changed here with the new format and there is now a posting threshold for you to be able to buy and sell here, so be careful you're not fishing for a ban. @Curly N, @dogchaser37 or another administrator/moderator can tell you.
You may be confusing this site with Trapshooter.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
You may be confusing this site with Trapshooter.com
I do post over there and have sometimes mixed them up! :) I am posting here more frequently since the format change.

But in this case I believe I read there is now a 25-post threshold to use the classifieds area. When I go there (I currently have 11 posts) it says "You have insufficient privileges to reply here".

So my assumption, maybe incorrect, is that if you try to get around that threshold you will get a ban.

Edit: Found the thread.

·
Administrator
23,268 Posts
I do post over there and have sometimes mixed them up! :) I am posting here more frequently since the format change.

But in this case I believe I read there is now a 25-post threshold to use the classifieds area. When I go there (I currently have 11 posts) it says "You have insufficient privileges to reply here".

So my assumption, maybe incorrect, is that if you try to get around that threshold you will get a ban.

Edit: Found the thread.

This is mostly correct, as all buying and selling is limited to the Classifieds. You must have more than 25 postings before you can participate there. At this time, any attempts to bypass this rule by posting in other sections is will be met by a deletion of that posting. In the future if this becomes a frequent situation, the response may become more harsh. It looks to me that the OP was looking for a source to be referred to rather than a direct purchase and I hope that I am correct.
The answer that they are not being made currently domestically is correct as far as I know. Many people testing these one oz. loads were not impressed with their performance and have stated that a good 7/8 oz. load performs better downrange on game and clays.

Reactions: bosni

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is mostly correct, as all buying and selling is limited to the Classifieds. You must have more than 25 postings before you can participate there. At this time, any attempts to bypass this rule by posting in other sections is will be met by a deletion of that posting. In the future if this becomes a frequent situation, the response may become more harsh. It looks to me that the OP was looking for a source to be referred to rather than a direct purchase and I hope that I am correct.
The answer that they are not being made currently domestically is correct as far as I know. Many people testing these one oz. loads were not impressed with their performance and have stated that a good 7/8 oz. load performs better downrange on game and clays.
Thanks I have saw something about that somewhere else that 7/8 loads perform better. I guess more is not always better

·
Registered
271 Posts
2 months ago i was looking for some. I went in local gun shop. They had 2 bags left. But the bag said Remington 12ga 1oz. Come to find out they was 20 ga 1 oz wads. In a 12ga bag from the factory. I was happy to get them. I wanted to load 1oz loads for squirrel hunting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is what I am doing. If you get yourself some Winchester 572 powder, which you can find right now on several websites in stock. Hodgden has a lot of recipes for 1oz 20 gauge loads, using the BP SG20S wad and Winchester 572 powder. The BP SG20S wad is also in stock at Ballistic Products. Now you are in business assuming you have primers. I have been using Win 572 powder a lot recently and i really like it.
For the Winchester AA Hull they have 4 recipe combos using the 572 powder and SG20s wad combo

·
Registered
297 Posts
Lyman Shotshell #5 has a 1oz load for WinHS or CF, WSF powder and WAA20 wad. I just hope WSF is dense because I just loaded some WAA20 and 7/8oz shot went all the way to the top of the petals I’m a Remington Premier.

·
Administrator
23,268 Posts
WSF is very dense and similar in performance to Longshot, but WSF is no longer suggested for the 28 but Longshot is.

·
Registered
807 Posts
40 years ago I was loading a book 1 ounce 20 gauge load with Unique in a Remington case with the WAA20 wad. Velocity was ~1150 fps. Unexpectedly it fit, probably with a lot of wad pressure.

Same load but with RXP20 wad in a Winchester case fit a tad better.

It always struck me odd the book called for a Remington wad in a Winchester case, and Winchester wad in a Remington case.

A current book load with a WAA 20F1 wad may work with a WAA20 wad. Try a few. Other 20 gauge wads will probably work better.
Call powder company to determine if safe.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
There are a TON of huge payload wads in 20ga, 1oz or more lead. There have never been more. And there is data for them. You have to stop looking for old discontinued wads, and look at the nontox capable wads.
All of these hold 1oz or more lead for 20ga.
Sam1, tps20 2.75, tps20 3in, csd20 aka tuwsbl2024, csd203, pt2092, pt2090.

Pt2090 are in stock at bpi, go to the PT wads page to find. I just ordered 2 bags yesterday. They hold 1.25oz lead or something.
BPi Advantages manual has tons of lead loads for many of these. Most of them will hold 1oz of steel shot. If I was loading lead, Id go with csd20 or pt2090. Or tps20 short, but not sure what data is for that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts