Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
Browning BT99 725 Sporting
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some 1 oz loads to practice with. Are these loads OK for 16 yard registered targets?

I'm thinking of going to Silver Dollar in Florida this winter. I will not have the required targets so will be penalized yardage as I'm only 68. Is it worth the trip from Missouri?

· Registered
426 Posts
Shoot some practice with them and see if you like them. If you do, take them to FL with you. If not, take whatever else you normally shoot, when you travel for a registered shoot, the shells are still one of the cheaper parts of the trip.

· Banned
7,303 Posts
Check the rule book on penalty yardage. Your 68 and a vet if claimed. Don't think they penalize vets and sr. vets in yardage. Maybe in singles class there would be a increase in class over your average.

Maltz

· Registered
Browning BT99 725 Sporting
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check the rule book on penalty yardage. Your 68 and a vet if claimed. Don't think they penalize vets and sr. vets in yardage. Maybe in singles class there would be a increase in class over your average.

Maltz
I looked at the program and Sr Vet no penalty. Other class if less than 1000 registered targets, A class singles and 23 yardage handicap. Seems a little harsh for new shooters. I have no registered targets as yet. Been waiting 3 weeks for ATA to send my card.

Thanks Maltz

· Banned
7,303 Posts
I looked at the program and Sr Vet no penalty. Other class if less than 1000 registered targets, A class singles and 23 yardage handicap. Seems a little harsh for new shooters. I have no registered targets as yet. Been waiting 3 weeks for ATA to send my card.

Thanks Maltz
Classification is always worried about sandbaggers. Its hell to pay if the other shooters think there is one present.
Maltz

· Registered
1,576 Posts
To the OP , there's been several discussions about payloads and I'm sure the game you play dictates the load
but , a good shooter with a 12 bore knows it is gauged by 12 balls of equal size , that makes a 12 gauge !
And as far as I know , from reading old books , a 12 bore load was design for 0NE oz of shot ! But , pattern
density rules the sky so , play it by your ability !

· Registered
2,094 Posts
Classification is always worried about sandbaggers. Its hell to pay if the other shooters think there is one present.
Maltz
I shot ATA for the last couple years. Prior to that I competed for 15 yrs in rimfire benchrest. When I competed in my first couple ATA matches I really didn't care what "class" they put me in. I was used to a game where classifications were based on the specification of the firearm used: sporter, 10.5 lb, 13.5 lb & Unlimited. There were no classifications based on the shooter's ability or lack thereof. To win, you had to beat everyone. So, having classes based on one's supposed ability was irrelevant to me. I understand that in the shotgun games there's an emphasis on winning money but that's never been the reason why I've ever competed. When I shot ATA I had no interest in winning "my class" . That's only being the best at some pre-determined level of mediocrity. I can tell by my score where I fit in on the spectrum of shooters. I certainly didn't need a trophy or some little extra jingle in my pocket to make me feel better about not posting the best score. I've been a big boy for over 50 years. If people of lesser talent want a chance to win $ then just do it just based on some random # in a Lewis system and that'll eliminate sandbaggers.

· Registered
35 Posts
I started shooting 7/8 & 1 oz loads this year mainly because that's what I could get.I keep a record of my scores and have not had any real change. I actually seem to shoot a little better with the 7/8. I think all of all of as shooters if we do our part, it really doesn't matter what size loas you use.

· Registered
30 Posts
I started shooting 7/8 & 1 oz loads this year mainly because that's what I could get.I keep a record of my scores and have not had any real change. I actually seem to shoot a little better with the 7/8. I think all of all of as shooters if we do our part, it really doesn't matter what size loas you use.
I recently used some 1oz loads because that was all I could get at the time. I didn’t notice any difference with 1/8 oz less lead in the shell.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts