Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a odd one...... does anyone else out there have any info on a "Dickson Falcon 3200" side by side 10 gauge? It's made in spain (late 60's) I assume. Possibly a Zabala Hermanos, spainish made goose cannon. This behemoth has done it's job extremely well over the past 40 years but recently dropped a firing pin. I need a parts source. Any ideas? or am I stuck with a very heavy single shot 10ga ?????? :? Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi, I just saw a similar 10ga sxs at a local gun shop. I can talk to the owner of the shop next time I am in there and see if he has any info for you if you would like?

K

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
There were alot of these guns imported to the US back in the early 60's. Dakin,AyA, Mercury Magnum and Zabala made some of the better ones. I broke a firing pin in my Dakin several years back and my local gunsmith fixed it like new for just a little cash. While he is in there,have him give that old beauty a good cleaning,too.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have my dads 10 ga SXS that he bought back in the 60s. I did some checking a few years ago to see where it was made. It was made by AYA and after contacting them they were able to give me the model and year of manufacture. I was hoping for a valuable double gun from spain but it turned out to be a matador which isn't a high dollar gun. The thing is built like a truck. Mine has 32"bbls full and full. Being somewhat of an heirloom, I hate to shoot it too much or fiddle with shorting the bbls and opening them up to IC or Mod. The old theroy of full choke causing a ring bulge isn't true with this gun. My dad put a fair amount of steel through it in the early 90s w/o any ill effects. Full isn't the best choke but it still shoots a deadly pattern.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Lakenut said:
The thing is built like a truck.
Yep, that's a Matador, all right. They are not fancy nor expensive, but they are good shooters. I have a 12 ga.

Being somewhat of an heirloom, I hate to shoot it too much or fiddle with shorting the bbls and opening them up to IC or Mod.
I wouldn't cut the barrels, either, but I would open up the chokes. Opening the chokes won't hurt the value, won't affect the appearance, and won't cost much if you get Mike Orlen to do it. I wouldn't hesitate to do that, even on an heirloom.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I almost opened the chokes up but the 32" bbls are so awkward. The guns lack of mobility gives my 12 ga. the nod most of the time.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Seamus O'Caiside said:
"...I would open up the chokes."
"I wouldn't hesitate to do that, even on an heirloom."
But why would he want to do that? What would one possibly hunt with a 32-inch-barreled 10-gauge SxS bored anything other than full/full? He's got a 12 already.

I'd keep it original and reserve it for any forays after waterfowl from a blind or for turkeys. It's the perfect gun for either of those applications.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
I would never shoot steel in any of these old Spanish 10ga guns. They were never made for it and the barrels are too soft and thin. Instead, shoot Bismuth. You maybe surprised what great patterns those old 32" F&F barrels will produce. I was!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
:shock: Lord no !!! my shoulder throbs with pain just thinkin' about it !!! :shock:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know this a little off the subject but I have a Zabela 10 ga double and would like to find another of same or different. I am new here and would to love to learn as much as possible. I am also looking for a double or single 8ga and bigger.. Where does a person look for these??? Thanks for all they help! :D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
They were never made for it and the barrels are too soft and thin.
You my friend couldn't be more wrong. Those are the thickest, heaviest bbls I have ever seen. There is nothing thin about them. I also did some checking on their proff ratings and they are stong enough to withstand quite a bit more pressure than HV steel will dish out. However, I do believe you would be correct about using Bisth. The thing throws an awefully tight pattern with lead. My dad tells me stories of duck hunting back in the 70s w. 2 7/8" shells. 50 + yd shots were easily doo-able with the shorter shell and #2 and #4. Talk about reach out and touch em.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The gentleman looking for an 8 ga.- If you have a Zabala 10,
have it rebored to an 8. The Brits use 8 ga.'s on waterfowl and rebore these old Spanish guns regularly. Mike Orlen may be able to do this but I've never heard of him doing it.

'Lonzo

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Lakenut - Proof ratings have little to do with barrel thickness at the muzzel. You do not qualify your statement,the one that you called me an idiot, as what barrels you are measuring. My Dakin has massive chamber specs but the last 4" of the barrels are quite thin. My Mecury Magnum and two Zabalas are the same while the AyA Matador is much thicker but the AyA No.413 is the same as the Dakin. The thickness of the barrels is not really the big problem with shooting steel or heavy shot in these guns,anyway. The real problem is that the steel is much softer than the steel that is used in modern barrels made for steel. That factor along with very tight chokes lends to barrel scouring and bulging. I have been working with these guns for 45 years and did not just fall off a turnip truck!

That said, do as you wish with your gun. It is yours and if you ruin it I will not care. :roll:

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is the Mecury Magnum, now I assume its a 10ga sxs. Just curious who made it and when?? Anyone want to sell theri 10ga sxs. I want another BAD!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Msrenso, Mercury Magnums were built in Spain and were imported to the US from 1959-68 by different companies including FII. They were offered in 10,12 & 20 gauge magnum and 28"&32" barrels. The Mercury Magnum was a boxlock SXS. They were pretty sturdy guns.

If you are interested in my Dakin, PM me.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You do not qualify your statement,the one that you called me an idiot, as what barrels you are measuring.
A little sensitive are we? When did I call you an idiot? And if I did why would I also agree with you? I simply stated that I thought that you were wrong about all spanish guns having thin bbls. My gun, AYA Matador, has barrel walls thicker than anything I have ever seen on any other gun. I don't have any specific measurements but it is quite easy to see with the naked eye. As for the steel being soft, that may well be true. I am not claiming to be an expert. All that I have is my experiance. The gun has had thousands of lead loads put through it and probably close to a thousand steel loads put through it. Everything from #2 down to T shot. There is no visible ring bulge behind the choke and the bore is everybit as shiney as my Browning or Winchester. There is no evidence of abrasion or erosion in the bore. I agree with you 100% Bisthmuth or TM would be the best way to go considering the guns age and its 32 full choked bbls. However, the bulk of my waterfowling has been in the duck blind the last couple of years. This would be too much gun for that.

I am sorry if I offended you A5. That was not the intent of my post.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts