Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a super-hardcore waterfowl gun do you think a 10 gauge would be worth the money?
Yes1372.22%
No316.67%
Not really, but it would be cool211.11%

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Other than the fact that it would be cool to have a 10, do you think it's worth the money to buy and use one for a super- hardcore duck and goose gun?
Personally, I think it would be :wink: but I get ALOT of pass-shooting.

G

·
I gave up waterfowl hunting long ago, because I wanted to spend the necessary scouting and following geese, on elk hunting instead! 8)

I've never regreted that decision.

But when I worked in sporting goods retail, I had two customers who regularly, every year killed 30-40-50 plus Canada geese each season. They both shot a 10 gagger.

If I ever became a hard-core goose-chaser, I'd invest in a Browning BPS 10 gauge Stalker, probably with a short 26 inch barrel. I'm partial to shorter tubes in scatterguns.

With what I'm learning about Hevi-Shot, I'd shoot loads no heavier than 1 1/2-1 3/4 ounces at geese and reload them to 1400 fps if possible, or however fast it is safe to. On ducks, Ballistic Products has load recipes for 1 1/4-1 3/8 ounces at 1400 fps and slower. Quite often a fairly open choke seems to give tight patterns with Hevi-Shot, and I'd also be checking with Briley or some other company for what custom chokes might be available too.

Most choke tubes should be chosen and used according to what an individual gun does with whatever load one is using. Custom chokes can often be purchased in .005 increments of restriction. www.brownells.com is another source for chokes to check out too.

G

·
Another nice thing about a 10 gauge, if you ever feel the need to blow a really big hole in something, buy some slugs for it. They weigh in at 1 3/4 oz. or around 770 grains. Thats about the biggest bullet you can get without buying a british nitro express rifle.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I voted for 'Not really, but it would be cool', only for the reason that the loads available for 12g can be just as effective. That said, if money was no object, I would definitely have an english best SxS 10g commissioned by Holland & Holland!!

Ben

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
I said yes to the poll, but I am wondering what 'money' you are meaning though...

The NEF 'Waterfowl' 10 GA SB2-32C is inexpensive enough to consider as a hardcore waterfowl piece...If you are talking about something semi-auto and more than $500, you are getting out of my 'worth the money' range...

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewIt ... 13765337...

I am a firm believer that single shot weapons teach you to be a better hunter in that they make you pick and choose your shots far more than a weapon with a follow-up shot available...

all IMHO of course...

Your mileage may vary... :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
The 10 gauge I have does not kick as bad as the 835 I have. I bought a 835 years ago only because I did not want to cut the 36" bbl. My 10 gauge is an H&R single shot. It weighs in a little over 10 pounds. I have blasted birds with my 835, my 1100 3"mag , and they all kill. like all ready posted If you want braggin rights then try some slugs I have a few box's of them. They are federal 3 1/2 in 1 3/4 oz. 766 Gr. hollow point. Now that's stoping power.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Your all just lucky that you have the choice, I've only ever seen one 10 gauge for sale here and you can't get ammo :cry: .
I would love one if I could shoot it though, I have always wanted an 8 gauge too (may have to get into making my own cases :D ).

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you look at the current trend towards 3 1/2" 12 ga waterfowl guns, it makes me wonder why more waterfowl hunters don't make the leap to the 10ga. Less recoil (in the semi), more pay load, and not that much more money. I have been shooting a 10 ga for 26 years and still own my first, a 34" bbl sxs shoulder buster. Now my 10 ga stalker is on duty. With non-toxic shot being the law no gun preforms better than the Big Ten!

G

·
I have three of the BIG 10's a Browning Gold Stalker, a Model 55 Marlin, and a H&R Sportsman's Longrange Model 176 with both of the latter having 36" barrels. AH 10 ga. there's nothing like it. As for as ammo practically all of the leading mail order catalogs have it. Cabela's, Redhead etc.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Oh yes, Love my 10 ga on big birds. Geese and swan. ballisticly the 3 1/2 inch 12 ga can throw a similar load but I like the 10 ga my self. Remmington SP 10 is heavy and less felt recoil. Not the gun you want to carry 2 miles through the swamp though. Won't find shells every where but I have found you don't need many and if you keep your eyes open you can catch them cheap after season on close out.

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an Marlin Goose Getter 10 ga. It is a real hammer on geese in my decoys spread. But where it shines is with pass shooting geese. It can get alot of steel out there at a reasonable price to boot. Steel shot has really come about since I was first forced to shoot those slow moving huge pellets. I have found that I really do not need anything more then my 3inch 12ga for geese over decoys. I can shot 3 1/2 inch in my rem. but find I do not need it. As for ducks I found that I always had a problem swinging my 10ga. quick enough. It does have a 36 inch barrel. I wouldn't spend over $500 dollars on a 10 ga. But I would not turn one down if I could get it cheaper as used.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I picked up a nice used BPS stalker 26" barrel 10 GA, in a pawn shop for under $300. The shells really cost about the same as for my 870 in 3.5" 12 GA and performs better for geese. As for recoil, I don't really notice much of a difference between the two pumps. As for if they are worth the money, I know mine was, but I guess it is up to you. I would recomend shopping around though.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I've thought about getting one myself a time or two,but the mossberg 835 Pump and now the new 935 autoloader they've just come out with are much easier on the wallet, and come with 10ga bores, and you can even shoot dove with the 835 if you wanted to,i don't know that the 935 would cycle with light loads, but the versatility of especially the 835 is unbelievable,
looking at federal ammuntion,it'll shoot 1 9/16 oz steel payloads out of a .775 dia (10ga) bore at 1300, the 10ga will shoot 1 5/8 oz
of shot at 1350 fps that's 5 pieces of BB shot, or 7 pieces of #2 shot more than the 12 at 50 fps faster out of the same sized bore.
and i couldn't loan a couple of shells to my hunting partner while duck hunting because my 10 wouldn't fit his 12.
Yes i think it'd be cool,not justifiable,unless independently wealthy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why are you guys always making out that a 10g has a kick like an Elephant gun? I shoot 2 1/4oz loads through a 10g S/S Kestrel and have never felt a shot yet, infact I get more of a sore shoulder shooting Partridges with those fast 1oz loads through my 12g game gun. If the gun is made for the job the recoil is minimal, leave those sooped up 12's alone and get the feel of a gun that was designed for the job before any of us were born.

Ps it costs $6 a shot for a Hevi shot 10g shell over here, when are you going to get Remington to bring the price down?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a BPS 10 gauge and think it works great for geese. With a good recoil pad the kick is not that bad. If you are a serious goose or turkey hunter and want the ultimate in performance I say yes it is worth buying. The only thing is that its uses are limited to only a few things. If you were to only own one gun though I would recommend a 12 gauge with 3 1/2 inch chamber.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.