Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get a shotgun for deer hunting in close thick stuff, i have a B A R for the long shots. Is a 10 gauge and #4 over kill? I'm i right in thinking the 10 is perfect for the thick 100yd or less shots? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
163 Posts
100 yards is a long way for buckshot. I think 40-50 yards is about the longest you should use buckshot for. If you want to use a shotgun for 100 yards or less, a 12 ***** with slugs should do the trick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, you may be right on the distance, but if i've got to shoot slugs, i might as well stay with the B A R .. 50 yards is more realistic.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
While I am a proponent of buckshot for deer in thick stuff, I (personally) think that #4 is way on the small size and is better suited for Coyotes...

Stick to 00 or 000 in that 10 gauge, and you have a lethal 50 yard gun...

Pattern it and know where it shoots and what the spread is at 50 yards and you will be good to go...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I agree with both above me I would look at a 12ga (can be used for more things)and I would use slugs with I were to use a shotgun. If you were to use buckshot I would go with 00 or 000. When I am in thick stuff under 100yds I use a 30-30.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, all the input helps. I have several shotguns and they are each used for a different purpose. I want a 10 gauge, and the main reason is more pellets and more powder. Correct me if i'm wrong, you can get a 12 gauge with more pellets( 3 1/2 ) but it doesn't give you any more powder, so it just wont have the knock down power the 10 will.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I've taken my share of deer over the years using everyting form buckshot (00buck) to slugs (12 & 20ga), to rifles (30-30 thru 30-06) and black powder with round balls (.50 & .54cal). I can tell you this, buckshot ain't what it's cracked up to be. 00 buck is about .33 cal. It is not perfectly round (or ballistically stable) and has insufficient energy at 50 yards to consistantly bring down a deer, even with good shot placement which is random at best. Possibly with a clear shot and a heavily choked gun there will be sufficient damage to render the deer incapacitated, but in heavy cover the chances for multiple pellet strikes are small.

The other thing I've learned over the years is that brush will deflect a projectile regardless of size. Any hits using buckshot in heavy brush are lucky at best. Use the most accurate projectile available to you and place your shots well. A game animal is too valuable to chance wounding.

Frank

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Mr Frank. I will have to agree with you on all that you stated above, what i'm tring to do with the gun is the shots that are to thick and close for my Browning B A R ( 30-06), where i'm hunting at has areas that will go thick to thin with in 10 feet, so what i'm tring to do is have the best of both worlds. The long range of the B A R and the short power of the 10. Oh yea, i'm dog hunting so you know how fast the deer will be moving through. When i have to go down in the branch heads, the 10 will be idea, or so i hope! This is what i'm tring to figure out, do i need the 10 or should i just get a 12 mag and do what i need to do?

·
Registered
415 Posts
redchevy said:
Thanks, Mr Frank. I will have to agree with you on all that you stated above, what i'm tring to do with the gun is the shots that are to thick and close for my Browning B A R ( 30-06), where i'm hunting at has areas that will go thick to thin with in 10 feet, so what i'm tring to do is have the best of both worlds. The long range of the B A R and the short power of the 10. Oh yea, i'm dog hunting so you know how fast the deer will be moving through. When i have to go down in the branch heads, the 10 will be idea, or so i hope! This is what i'm tring to figure out, do i need the 10 or should i just get a 12 magand do what i need to do?
See above; you've answered your own question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there such thing as factory 10 gauge slug ammo? Or do you need to make custom loads using round balls? I know there's such thing as buckshot loads in 10 gauge, but i've never seen slug loads in that gauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts