Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a small framed guy who is looking for a shotgun for geese ducks and turkeys. I thought a 10 might not kick as hard on the mag loads being a heavier gun but maybe I don't need all that fire power. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
A 12 that shoots 3" magnums will be fine. With the proper mix of loads and chokes you can take all the kinds of game you're asking about. Also, with lighter loads you're fine for upland birds, bunnies, etc. And with rifled slugs you can hunt deer. The 12 gauge is maybe the most versatile gun in the world.

Be aware that the way the gun fits you can have quite an effect on felt recoil. If you're really small, a youth model or a trip to a stock fitter might be in order. Almost anyone can handle a decently-fitted 12 ga with reasonable loads. I'd avoid a 10-ga, especially if this is your first shotgun. At some point, firepower is not as important as hunting skill--though this point is slightly different for everyone.

Welcome to the forums, and I hope you'll write back and let us know how it goes :)

Jeff23

·
Registered
98 Posts
Go for 12. If you decide to shoot a round of clays some ranges require nothing larger than a 12 gauge.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
12 is plenty for versatility in just about every application.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts