Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I got a gun that I want to zero in; but the problem is that I only got 75 yards to zero in at. How high above the bull's eye should I put holes in?

Also, I'm intended to shoot further than 100 yards.

·
Registered
14,544 Posts
I will assume you are talking slugs. Do a Bing search for shotgun slug ballistics.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't afford a shotgun; since I just moved. So I got a muzzleloader, they go up to 150-200 yards. I'm not on planing to shoot much further than 100. And in Mississippi shotguns are the put in gun season. An advandge of a muzzleloader goes under both gun and primitive weapon season.

But, the BC of a slug and a muzzleloader slug/bullet are alot the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you should start about 3-4" high at 75 yds. Guessing your ballistics that should put you within about 4" out to 120-140yds. This is just AWAG given my experience,

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Start out at an inch high at 75 yards. Mine is two inches high at 50 and dead on at 100. But............sooner or later you need to shoot it at 100 yards before you ever think about hunting at 100 or over. You owe it to the game you are hunting. Even though it can be done I would never take a 200 yard shot and certainly not off handed. That's a lot of B.S. the projectile/gun mfgs. like to throw around. 200 yards is a long way to shoot. I've done it on a rest with a rifle and dropped deer dead in their tracks but I don't do it with my muzzle loader. Having said that many will disagree with me, that's ok it is America after all.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
By the way I use 150 grains ( 3 pellets) of Triple Seven and a 185 grain Spitzer boat tail projectile as my recipe. Very accurate load out of my Knight.

·
Registered
14,544 Posts
If you only have 75 yards to shoot it in, how are you going to take a 150 yard shot?

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
+1 for no shots over 150yds. Alot of muzzle loader ammo comes with balsitics charts. There will be some difference between what type of powder your useing (goex, triple seven, pyrodex) I would look up your projo, manufacture and see if they give balistics charts for your bullet. Make sure you see what type of velocity/energy you will still have at 200 yds to see if its even possible.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My Mentor/dad taught me.....

Sight dead on at 25 yards!

once you know the limits of your firearm, you will know where the bullet is going to come back to ZERO!

So my 30-06 zero'd at 25 yards, got there with fewer wasted shots!

Has the 100 + height built in and comes back to zero at about 225.....

All of which add up to being able to hold right about where I expect to hit my game, from short range out to about 300, without thinking about anything but SIGHT picture.

From personal experience and observation. 80 to 90 percent of the shooting puplic are guessing where their bullets are going at 100 yards, and the resulting "SIGHT IN" may make the barn safe from being hit if the shooter was locked inside!

That is not saying stay at 25 yards!

It is saying that ..........

1st: at 25 yards you can almost see what the hit on paper is by eye, without optics or getting off the bench/firing line.

2nd: the beloved MOA is about 1/4" at 25 yards, if you can't cover the group with a dime there HOW are you going to get a group to believe in at 100?

3rd: when you have a shooter that bought into the inch over at 100, that has completely lost faith and is giving up on shooting, letting him see what is going on at 25 yards, gives them a fresh start!

4th: next time you are in the field, in area that is new, have people in your group pick out a rock a bush a tree, and state the yardage. then pace it off (I know there are range finders) but pacing impress's better! you may be surprised at how many 100 yard views(shots) are at 50 or less!

So whether I am sighting in a 22, a shotgun, or a belted mag, I start at 25 yards, them fine tune (rarely) as needed for confidence out further!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been shooting with 150 grain of charge, and a 250 grain sabot. But the problem is RECOIL it knocks my hat off every time; that's with me using every muscle in my body. And that only enough to redirect the recoil away from my face. Any tips on that? Yeah, I agree with the fact of have self control; over what is a shooter and one that is grayish. I'm planing on glassing the area I going to be hunting in; starting in early October. Its at Camp Shelby, if any one know that area; a little helpful tips would be much appreciated.

Muzzleloaders can be blackpower shotguns too.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
First off you need to back your charge down. If you can't shoot it comfortably you won't hit beans. Tone it down to about 100 grains, get used to it, then work your way up. Please note that the MAX charge is rarely the most acurate. Buy yourself some round balls and patches to practice with. Second do what Al said, start off at 25 and see where to adjust to. 3rd Without the specific calliber, brand of bullet, and brand of powder noone can tell you squat about the ballistics. 4th I asure you a black powder rifle is NOT a black powder shotgun.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
The sighting is different for a scoped rifle than a rifle with iron sights. The higher scope mount will cause a different result downrange. The idea of sighting in at 25 yds, being about 3"s high at 100, and coming back throuhg dead on at about 250 only works for the scope mounted rifle. For iron sites I'd sight it one or two inches high at 75 and you'd be good probably out past 100 maybe to 125.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got my scope sighted-in with about 1.5 inchs high at 50. Also, I haven't mention this geat budie of my who not only let me shoot on his land. But gave me untold amounts of advice, showed me all his gear, taught how to use them, told me his tactics of hunting, answer all my many questions, and even wanted me to take my first deer on his land.

Also, he helped me sight in my scope; in fact that he job. Did it for me without question. GREAT GUY!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts