Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have an 870 and love it, but looking for a great (ultrareliable) semi for HD, 'tactical', and clay- (yes, i regularly bust clays with my 18" 870, and another short bbl is on the menu). I want something that can take a licking and keep on ticking, and go many shots without fouling...

the way i see it so far...

11-87 is tried and true, and i like the gas system to lighten recoil, but its kinda heavy

1201pf and M1s90 are the same? very light weight and reliable as well, but kick harder than the 11-87, cycle faster which is nice,...

FN SLP a gas gun to lighten recoil, as fast as the m1s90 and 1201fp? and lighter than the 11-87?

how well do all these hold up to punishment and heavy fouling, as far as i know only the 11-87 is proven in this department... but the two refiews of the slp on this board show promise...

any and all comments would be appreciated...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
i bought my 11-87 used and for a time, on purpose, i did nothing to the SG while firing shot, buck and slug to the tune of about 400 rounds, THEN she went in for a cleaning... granted the cleaning was long overdue, but never a hiccup, stoppage or FTF... i have no experience with the other brands you suggest, so this is not objective, but the "heavy" 11-87 just feels right and it is a welcome part of the HD family here that with a bbl change, i could manage a decent score of clays or hunting if i chose to...

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I hear the FN/ winchester SX2 action is supposed to be the fasted autoloader in the world.

I like the SX2 practical myself, but i'm not sure i'll ever actually buy one.

on a side note, I did experience some weird loading problems with my autoloader using paper shells(remember those?). I wonder if other more modern models would feed paper hulls?

·
Registered
106 Posts
1201FP = ultra reliable.
I've never really 'cleaned' mine in at least 200 rds. over a period of a few years.
I just shoot it and put it away DIRTY.
It works every time.

Maybe I should clean it... :roll: :twisted:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've got 6500 rounds through a Benelli M1. I had a malfunction once in a desert and a few times with tactical slugs. Otherwise 100%. Very few can shoot and hit a target as fast as any semi-auto can cycle so ignor the speed claims of the SX2 or any of its clones (FN or Browning Gold). Check the 3-gun sites and you will find that they also have large reliability issues. I don't know much about 11-87s but the 1100 platform seems good when properly tuned.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i found an FN SLP on gunbroker NIB for $650. Drossed it yesterday and am really excited...

May still get an 11-87P down the road, and it was runner up, but the SLP was very affordable, and light weight, and should still be soft shooting as its a gas gun/not recoil...

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just checked the empty shell boxes, my 11-87 has gone 450, plus a few on skeet and trap. One of these days I'll probably clean it. My Keltec p32 has had 500 rds and the Glock 19 is getting close to 1000rds with out a cleaning. But yes, I do keep a few spotless for personal defense.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Siaga is not a choice out here in the PRK

The FN SLP should be in my hands any day now, and i can hardly wait...

I found an 11-87 Police, rifle sights from a member here (Raven) and drossed today...

Done and Done... in 2 or 3 weeks, i should have a nice review and compairo... Happy Happy, Joy Joy-

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Decisions Suck:

So avoid making them by getting them all:

-11-87P rifle sights, new to me ("under 100rds through it previously" but looks like it doesnt even have that through it...)

The 11-87P really feals like a solid shotgun, not heafty enough to warrant a complaint, but very substantial feeling in the hand. Shooting clays, i found it pointed and connected great, better than the SLP, but that may be my bias as my 'go-to' shotgun is an 870, with similar ergonomics of the 11-87. The park on it is nice, and the action is smooth (though not as smooth as the SLP's.)

Dislike the 'release' button on the elevator, that must be pushed to release the bolt foward, or to allow the elevator to go up prior to loading (each time this must be depressed). Sort of poor design imo, but i understand their is a 'tactical upgrade' to this lever which makes it easier and faster to operate.

Firstly, shooting the Wolf, all rounds fired, but the action would not cycle once. The Bolt never came back enough to eject, let alone feed another shot. The Winchester saw no difference, so shooting clay and manually cycling the bolt. Doing this, i found the extractor did not grab with as much authority as i would like... (may need to address in the future?)

Shooting the slugs, every round cycled perfectly, and with the rifle sights, i was just digging a hole at 100yds. grouping within 5" seemed to be the norm for [email protected] definately minute of man- no problem. Out to 200yds man sized targets are no problem (hit the 10" plate regularly, and when missed i was really close)... this was cool imo. Also, for a slug gun- it was a pleasure to shoot, lightly recoiling (def. softer than the SLP, which was not so bad either)...

Shooting 00B she cycled but not quite as fast as i would have liked, and seamed to be getting slower to the end of the day (now having had about 150rds of assorted stuff through her)...

-FN SLP (self loading Police model) Ghost Ring new off of gunbroker, thanks Ray Tanner

The SLP is finished nicely, very lightweight. The size grew on me through the day, as at first i found it a little fat (fatter foregrip and i am used to) but by the end of the day, i may prefer this?.... The bolt release is on the side (where i prefer it) and that elevator button/relase of the 11-87 is absent on the slp, which is better for me. I did note that when loading, the positive lock of the round into the mag tube is less authoritive than the 11-87, leading me to load a round and not depress it enough so that it holds in, and then backs out before the next round goes in... this happened more than once. I feel the depth that you must depress the round to catch is quite deeper than the 11-87, which i am not too fond of.

Shooting clays, neither the wolf or Winchester would eject or cycle at all. I had to manually work her each time (and this was using the 'light loads' insert, made for loads under 1.5oz( shotgun comes with another gas insert for loads over 1.5oz). I was really dissapointed that she would not cycle the light stuff, especially considering the insert just for this purpose.

The Ghost ring setup was at first much harder for me to use on clay, and aquire target, but by the end of the day, i was getting close to the same number of hits as with the remmy.

Slugs functioned fantastic, and cycled nice and fast, as did the 00B, both ejecting c leanly. Noting light recoil but heavier than the 11-87. With the Ghost rings, my 100yd slug groups were about 1.5' spread (foot, not inch), and then i stuck a little tasco red dot ($25Midway sale) on her, and i was digging the same tight hole as with the rifle sights on the remmy...

Wished both cycled lighter stuff they way they did the 00b/slugs, and that they cycled the 00b/slugs harder and faster- as that would be my pref.

Beretta 1201FP
Just got a police trade in. (have a thread about the build up here) Looks a bit beat up, but man can she shoot. She cycled everything (i assume their may have been some work done, or maybe just that its so well worn in/broken in). Cycled everything from light to heavy... like a champ... and cycled darn fast/aggressive. But WOW, what a recoil. After a short time, i was stuffing a jacket between my shoulder and the stock... I just upgraded to a speedfeed stock and hope this will help some...

Patterning seems really poor unfortunately, especially for a 20"bbl. I may have to address this in the future...

And my Go To gun that got this maddness all started, and still my favorite... Remington 870 express no less, Knoxx specops, and full Vang Comp. This gal can do it all, and keep doing it all day long..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.