1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Beretta 694 and xcel
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11-87 18" police barrel first test . Fixed IC

6 rounds of Buck shot ( Cycle fine )
6 rounds of Remington STS 3dram ( cycled fine )
6 rounds of gun clubs 3 dram. ( Cycle fine )
6 rounds of Estates 3 dram. (Cycle fine )
10 rounds of Winchester super target 3 dram
NO GO ....FTF every shell so I put
28" vent rib back on they still would
Not cycle . The brass or steel seem to
Swell up and keeps it from cycling .
? Remington 11-87 only or do other
Autos have this issue .

That said I like the super targets in my
Over / under

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
BTW............ ALL gas-action self-loading guns (makes no difference if it's a handgun, shotgun, rifle, or full-up machine gun) require a certain minimum pressure level AT those gas ports.
Chamber pressure is non-relevant, port pressure has to do with gunpowder burn speed and nearly nothing to do with chamber pressure.
Supply less pressure than it needs, they short-stroke.
Supply too much pressure, they cycle so hard they bash themselves, sometimes into parts breakage.

Thus, a 3-dram load with a slower powder has a far better likelihood of cycling than a 3-dram load that uses a very fast-burning powder.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Directly from Remington itself:

The 11-87 with a pressure compensated barrel is designed to cycle field loads or heavier.
The Model 11-87 3" gun is designed to cycle loads of 3 ¼ dram 1 1/8 oz shot or more for 12 gauge guns.
The Model 11-87 3" gun is designed to cycle loads of 2 1/2 dram 7/8 oz shot or more for 20 gauge guns.
The Model 11-87 Super Magnum is designed to cycle field loads or heavier. This would consist of 3 1/4 dram 1 1/8 oz shot or more.
The Model 1100 12 gauge is also designed to cycle loads of 3 ¼ dram 1 1/8oz shot or more.
The Model 1100 20 gauge gun is designed to cycle loads of 2 1/2 dram and 7/8 oz of shot.
These firearms are not designed for target loads. We do offer the Model 1100 Sporting, Trap and Skeet firearms that are specifically designed for target loads and should be used with less than 3 ¼ dram 1 1/8oz shot.

·
Registered
Beretta 694 and xcel
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Box reads 1200 fps. 3 dram 1 1/8 oz

Like said The metal case part of the shell looks to epand or bulge and I think this
Causes the cycling problem .
It shoots target loads from other brands just fine .

·
Registered
Beretta 694 and xcel
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Box reads 1200 fps. 3 dram 1 1/8 oz

Like I said The metal case part of the shell looks to bulge and I think this
causes the cycling problem . It shoots target loads from other brands just fine .

And stock barrel the Winchester super sports FTF also

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
The Winchester loads using the cheap Universal hull are well known for these specific issues across a wide range of shotguns, regardless of brand.

Stop using the cheap Winchester ammunition and your problem will go away.

·
Registered
Beretta 694 and xcel
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cerberus said:
The Winchester loads using the cheap Universal hull are well known for these specific issues across a wide range of shotguns, regardless of brand.

Stop using the cheap Winchester ammunition and your problem will go away.
I use them in my O/U no problem and they pattern fine .
I was only curious trying out this new barrel on my 11- 87
Yes I will not use them on that gun ..... which I never shoot.

I just thought I would pass this information along .

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I've got a 25 plus year old skeet model 1187 and I don't recall any ammo not working...............EXCEPT some junk when I first got the shotgun called "concord".
It had a all plastic hull including the head where the metal should have been..................it wouldn't even cycle the bolt and 50% of the rounds. :shock:
Don't recall Winchester ammo giving any trouble with it or my Wingmaster!
That said..............if everything else work OK, then your Winchester ammo is the problem. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
Beretta 694 and xcel
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Strange ?
I cleaned my 11-87 100% I went to my clay range and shot 70 rounds through it with both stock 28" And police 18" barrel . It's cycle the Winchester super targets with no problem . Why I could not cycle the Winchesters before ???? No idea . It shot the Remington gun clubs & federal's fine .

Bad box ? Same flat . But I'm happy seems to work fine with all now .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.