Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question i have a remington 1100 and have a 11-87 28" light contour 12 ga barrel . It fits my 1100 frame with no problem and works perfectily. Is there any reason not to use it , I'll only use it with 2¾" target loads. :?:

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Remington says not to, but I use my 11-87 on my 1100 and it works perfectly.

I understand the idea (other than selling more barrels :wink: ) is that an 11-87 has an extra gas vent that in theory could roast your 1100 forearm that isn't vented for the bonus gas port. You'd have to shoot a lot of shells, really fast, to do that.

Also, "they" say that the specs aren't the same for the two barrels. Nobody seems to have told my 1100 that, though, because it accepts the 11-87 barrel and shoots light target loads just dandy. :wink:

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
SuperXOne said:
(other than selling more barrels :wink: )
You pretty much hit the nail on the head there SuperX from what I've seen..:lol:

·
Registered
14,544 Posts
Put an 1100 barrel next to an 11-87 target barrel sometime. If you can tell any difference you are a better man than I am.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
The 1100 and the 1187 are similar in design. As noted, Remington says barrels are not interchangeable between these models.

The gas cylinders are welded in slightly different locations. This is partly because the 11-87 has a longer magazine tube. The 11-87 also has 2 gas orifice holes. Only the 2-3/4 inch chambered version of the 1100 will have two. The magnum 1100 barrel has only one.

The 1100 can shoot only 2 3/4" or 3" shells depending on the barrel installed, and with the 1187 models with magnum barrels can shoot both 2 3/4" and 3" shells. To accomplish this, two additional holes are drilled in the top/front of the gas cylinder, and covered with a tempered steel spring. There is a relief cut made into the gas cylinder to accommodate the spring. The Model 1100 gas cylinder will not have the relief cut or the spring.

The Model 11-87 also has a slightly longer barrel extension. This is the part that connects directly into the receiver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts