Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to shotgunning, and I've just purchased an 11-87. I've taken in out twice so far; once for dove, once skeet at a friend's house. I fired about 30 shells both times. While cleaning the stainless magazine tube after the second time (also cleaned after the first) I noticed a black splotch about the size of a quarter below the rubber seal. It looks almost like a burn and it wouldn't come off with hoppes #9 or gun oil. Should this be cause for concern? Does it mean that the gun is not functioning properly in some way? Answers/Comments. Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
The same thing happens to mine and I think to everyone. I use a small stainless wire brush and Hoppe's #9, and it cleans
up good. I clean mine about every 6 boxes of shells.If you don't keep it clean, the gun will not work properly. Have seen some suggestions on this forum to keep the tube well oiled; but I keep mine dry.

·
Premium Member
20,443 Posts
I might be wrong, but I don't think the magazine tube on an 1187 is stainless steel. I think it's an aluminum alloy.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about a spot on the magazine tube. No, I don't think it means there is anything wrong with the gun. From your description, this sounds like where the gas ports send gas back into the cylinder to push the piston back on the tube. I would imagine that the gas temperature is 1000 degrees or hotter (just a guess) so it's not surprising that the tube would get a bit scorched in that area.

I like to use Breakfree CLP to keep the magazine tube well lubricated. It also makes cleanup easier since the carbon just wipes right off.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Been shooting mine a lot at the skeet range.Use Hopps #9 and a small bronze wirebrush.Get the bronze wirebrush in 3 packs from Home Depot.And there is only one lube that will work.And that is Tri-Flow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum, but I was wondering if you have come up with a solution for the scorch mark or burn mark you keep getting. I too am experiencing the burned magazine tube and I keep using a bronze wire brush to clean it. I was thinking about placing a thin linning of vasaline there for maximum protection.
Let me know if you found any solution?

beginnersluck said:
I'm new to shotgunning, and I've just purchased an 11-87. I've taken in out twice so far; once for dove, once skeet at a friend's house. I fired about 30 shells both times. While cleaning the stainless magazine tube after the second time (also cleaned after the first) I noticed a black splotch about the size of a quarter below the rubber seal. It looks almost like a burn and it wouldn't come off with hoppes #9 or gun oil. Should this be cause for concern? Does it mean that the gun is not functioning properly in some way? Answers/Comments. Thanks

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
If you go to a shotgun range I bet the smith will have a grinder wheel with a brass brush on it. Takes about 3 seconds to get the scorch mark off, it will come back with or without CLP, you can't avoid it. CLP will help but not prevent.

I have mine done at the range about every 500 rounds or so, but I shoot it a little wet also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What you see is very normal, just take a little scotch brite and use some Hoppe's #9. It helps to rub lengthwise, prevents wear. You can polish up the tube with some mothers mag wheel polish and it helps a little.

Don't worry about the wear, I have two of the 11-87's with over 8000 rounds each and I haven't wore out the tube yet. Great guns, keep that tube clean and it will shoot a long time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just ordered some gas seals (o-rings) from Remington on the phone and the rep asked me if I was shooting it with the magazine tube dry or lubricated. I've only used it a few times but the o-ring was burned. He advised that it had to be dry. Lubricants expecially petroleum based ones break down and cause the o-ring to fail.
Any one have any comments on this advice from Remington?
BCG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.