Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry as I am sure this was discussed into the gound a decade ago.

I just bought a 20ga 11-87 upland and didn't know those models had a lock in the safety.
It did not come with a j-lock key. I'm guessing it's hated like the S&W IL but is the consensus to just ignore it and it's not a problem? I have seen an article or two that they lock themselves but I'd think that is unlikely (or someone removed the trigger group).

I don't see any keys for sale at the moment (like a lot of Remington parts at the moment).

Should I bother having it removed?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I purchased a couple of 870 Express shotguns back when the "J" safety was standard. I never had a problem with it self locking. I eventually replaced both of them with a standard safety since these were Home Defense shotguns and I did not want to tempt fate.

If you want to replace it you will need a new standard safety button, a standard safety ball bearing, and if I remember correctly you will also need the little spring. If you have the necessary punch, or even a small nail, you can easily replace it yourself. There are YouTube videos showing how to do this. The procedure is the same on an 870, 1100, or 11-87. Just make sure that you work in a contained work space as parts can go flying and those little parts can easily disappear.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
If it gets locked on and you don't have a key on hand, all is not lost. Push out the two trigger pins, push out the pin at the rear of the trigger assy that holds the safety spring in, remove the safety spring, plunger, and safety, voila, problem solved. Reassemble when you get home.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
One year, probably the first year he had it, my brother was locking his safety on an 1187. First week of dove, he walked down to meet me at a sunflower field. About a 25min walk down hill... You can probably guess what happened. I think it is likely that was the last time that safety was ever engaged.

I guess my LT20 has a locking safety...I mean, I know it does, and I must have tested it, but have never used it. It has never locked itself in well over a decade. So I think you are safe with or without that green key. I used it a lot so far this dove season, and that safety has the perfect feel and motion to it. I don't know why Remington decided to screw with perfection. The V3 safety is terrible in comparison.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts