Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering getting a do it all auto for my two oldest boys (17-19) for Christmas.

Wondering if anyone on the forum might know of some good places to purchase (will be an FFL transfer, limited supply where I live).

Ive searched Gun Broker, GunsAmerica, Auction place etc, but at times SGW folks know of better places than what you can see through the web.

Just looking for a good, not hyper expensive 12 ***** auto that will do it all. I have an 1187 Prem/LC and have put 10s of 1000s of rounds through it hunting and clay shooting and other than an Oring now and then.....zero malfunctions, but also open to the experts opinion on other options as well.

Thanx..

HR
8)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both my boys love the "tactical/Matte" appearance, one is already in the Marines, the other about to start his military stint as well.

So..........they love the looks, who am I to argue.....especially when its a bit cheaper than the Premier as well, anything on Dad's wallet helps!

HR
8)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree, get the Premiers.
From my experience, the sportman grade is not the same quality. I have work on the Express 870's also. I have polish and smooth out the actions but they still do not work the same as the Wingmaster or the Premier.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ShoottheBest said:
I agree, get the Premiers.
From my experience, the sportman grade is not the same quality. I have work on the Express 870's also. I have polish and smooth out the actions but they still do not work the same as the Wingmaster or the Premier.
Thank you, I didnt know they were of different build quality.
Great info, why I enjoy these forums!

HR
8)

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
I disagree with the statement that the black guns are of a different quality.

I've made my living in mass production my entire adult life after the military, and I can tell you without fear of being wrong that Remington does not have the time and money to mass produce parts to different grades or specs.

The only difference between the matte finish and blue finish guns in the amount of surface polishing. Other than that, they are materially and dimensionally identical (within mfg tolerances).

Because of the less smooth surface finish, the Express/SPS type guns may feel a bit more rough at first, but with use they break in nicely and work just as well as the more expensive ones. I know this from my 870 Express.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Just my 2 cents worth on the differences on matte vs shiny blued in Remington 11-87 and 870 lines. I have worked on both(three Express and one Sportman. I owned one Wingmaster and one Premier. The Matte versions seemed not to have the same tolerances(loose)and not as smooth---I didn't measure them though and I'm not a gun smith. Maybe they have changed since I worked on them and I can only say what I have experienced with them.
I called Remington and asked a technician on the differences. They are milled at the same time but they are sorted into two different lines for final assemblely. I asked about the sorting process but he wouldn't go into any detail.
All I know is the prices are a lot different too. Maybe because of the wood and the sorting process.

870 Express - $332
870 Wingmaster - $645

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
more searching and I found a sportsman for $450 (12 *****, 28" )...
next in line is the Beretta 390 at about that price point.

There is a gun show north of home this weekend...might head up and see if the dealers are "hungry" yet.

HR
8)

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
ShoottheBest said:
I asked about the sorting process but he wouldn't go into any detail.
I just explained why the parts are sorted after machining. Some go to surface grinding and maybe some polishing (the ones that end up brightly blued) and some go to bead blast for the roughening up (the ones that end up in the SPS and Express guns).

You couldn't know what the tolerances of a part are by measuring the part or by seeing how loose or tightly they fit together. You need the blueprints to make that determination.

·
Banned
2,771 Posts
ShoottheBest said:
Maybe because of the wood and the sorting process.

870 Express - $332
870 Wingmaster - $645
The wood has very little influence on the actual cost of the guns. The walnut grades that Remington buys, and the vloumes they buy it at, makes it not that much more expensive than beech.

The sorting process is just labor burdened across all product lines.

The majority of the cost difference comes from the metal and wood finishing process differences.

The majority of the PRICE difference comes from marketing mark-up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts