Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard should it be to remove the action spring on an 1100?

I recently purchased a roughly 20 year old LT-20 Magnum which hadn't been shot much. Unfortunately it also wasn't cleaned much either. Externally it's beautiful, internally it had rust in several areas.

I suspect the action spring is either crudded or rusted up. I'm sure it was never apart before.

I bought the proper tool from Brownells and started disassembly. Quite a bit of rust evident on the nut, lock washer, and exterior of the tube.

I can't depress the recoil spring retainer to free the drift pin. I've been soaking it in Liquid Wrench for a few hours, still not moving.

Does it usually depress relatively easy, or are they generally quite difficult?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The plunger has a "U" shaped slot cut in it. You may be pushing on the retaining pin, not the plunger. You need to use whatever tool you're using, and push along the side on the tube.

Take a flashlight and shine it down the hole, you'll see how the pin lays in the plunger.

The retainer plungers are aluminum so they won't rust in. They can get a little beat up preventing them from coming out of the tube once the retaining pin has been removed.

If the plunger still won't move in enough to remove the pin...give it a light tap further into the tube. If now the pin can be removed but the retainer will not come out on it's own, you'll have to help it.

Having the receiver completely stripped down, you can use a small steel rod (I use an 1/8 welding rod) to push it out from the inside. You will need to compress the spring as far as it will go before tapping on the rod to move the retainer. Keep a heavy bath towel laying over the end of the tube....or else.............

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

I did get the pin out, but the retainer won't budge.

I'll let it soak in penetrating oil a bit longer, then try "persuading" it.

The pin was badly corroded.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, this is starting to be a drag.

I've had this soaking for about 48 hours.

Inserting a piece of drill rod (3/16") through the receiver and compressing the plunger and spring, then bouncing the end of the drill rod on a concrete floor results in a piece of bent drill rod.

The spring plug still doesn't budge.

Lots of rust-coloured stuff draining out of it.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I would continue to tap the retainer lightly in both directions to try and get the rust to start breaking free. The drill rod trick will be the way it's going to come out.

If the retainer is able to move further into the tube, and seems to free up, wrap some abrasive paper around a dowel and with it mounted in a electric drill, try a polish the rough area.

I've had a few stuck retainers but generally they would come out with a couple of bumps with the rod from the inside.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought I was going to have to get someone to drill this out, but finally got it.

I was finally able to remove the plug by reassembling the stock with the action spring plug pin left out and by placing the butt on a rubber mat on the floor (this is a magnum model so it has the thick recoil pad) and inserting a 3/16" drill rod through the stripped receiver to depress the action spring follower fully and then giving several whacks with a hammer.

The plug was badly corroded (rough white buildup on it). Fortunately the inside of the tube was pretty clean. Chucked the plug in my drillpress and polished it up. Will move freely in the tube now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts