Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shopping for a new barrel for my 12 gauge 1100 to use on the sporting clays and trap fields. I currently have a 26 inch skeet barrel and am trying to decide between the 28 and 30 inch remchoke barrels. Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
You have to decide on Balance. I used a 28" on my 1100 but it was a DU 3" mag. gun that I put a 2 3/4" barrel on. The 28" made the already front heavy gun balance better than a 30" would have. If you use a light contour barrel and have a standard 1100 30" barrels may make more sense.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Most sporting clays shooters use the 30" barrels. The longer barrels will help you to swing thru (not stop the swing) after the shot is fired. With longer barrels you'll have a longer site radius, which helps with barrel alignment for longer shots in sporting clays. Short barrels point quick, Skeet & quail shooters like these. One length might help balance the gun better than another. For sporting clays you'll need screw in chokes, they are a must have! Keith

·
Registered
187 Posts
I went with 28" on my 1100 Sporting 12 - because that's all it comes in. I'm not the biggest guy in the world (5'9" - 150 lbs.), and the fact that the 1100 series is somewhat heavy already (around 8 pounds) so even if it were offered in 30" and/or 32", the 28" is what I would have picked - it's as perfect a fit as I could ask for in a non-fitted shotgun.

Even at 28" with the Sporting 12, the extended Rem choke brings it out to 29" total...

·
Premium Member
19,845 Posts
To get an approximate idea of the difference in balance and feel, just tape some weights onto the end of the 26" barrel of your present gun and swing the gun to compare. A loaded 12 gauge shell would represent the weight of approximately 2" of barrel, so tape on 1 shell for the feel of a 28" barrel and 2 shells for a 30" barrel. Practice lifting, mounting, and swinging the gun with 1 or 2 shells taped to the end of the barrel and then decide which you like the feel of better. Forget about the longer sight radius. It's importance is way overrated.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Some good advice here. You have a skeet barrel and you must have adjusted to that barrel, which would be short by today's standards. I think a 30 inch barrel would seem like a bit much for you, and it does create a front heavy gun on the 1100.

This is a case where, for sure, you would want to try that 30 inch barrel. Quite honestly, I have never seen one on a 1100. I am sure they are out there, but I just have never seen one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, the receiver on autos are much longer than those on O/Us, so even with a 28" bbl, you have the same sight plane as alot of 32" O/Us do..... I would think for overall, the 28 would do just fine, but I agree with those above, see which one feels best on the gun....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts