Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I don't know about Rem-chokes but I have early seventies model Wingmaster, it's had Browning choke tubes installed for the last twenty years. 8)

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I too have an 1100 barrel that was manufactured as a fixed skeet choke, but which has been threaded for Colonial thin walls. It works fine.

If you're thinking about having interchangeable chokes installed, I'd suggest you think about having Mike Orlen do the work. He does good work at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Briley will also do it--MY opinion is to buy a different barrel.The "old" fixed choked-especially skeet choked barrels are now bringing a premium :twisted:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hoashooter said:
Briley will also do it--MY opinion is to buy a different barrel.The "old" fixed choked-especially skeet choked barrels are now bringing a premium :twisted:
Why is that. A skeet choke tube in a threaded barrel = same performance as fixed choke barrel plus gives many choke options for greater versatility. Strange, but thanks hoashooter for the info.

When you say premium, what are we talking. Condition is 98%. 26" VR with factory 2 bead set up.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
snakebit ,

In my limited experience , most target barrels , regardless of the manufacturer , seem to pattern better than field barrels with/wo choke tubes . So , if someone has a "Skeet" , they would probably be wiser buying a new or used RC barrel . ---- not necessarily as cheap a decision --- but maybe wiser .

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
First there is no real difference between a fixed skeet choke and the interchangable skeet ckoke.Yes, the tube option gives ya more choices-BUT at one time there were no choke options other than what was on the barrel-I am a greybeard and remember this well :twisted: When choke tubes were first introduced I thought they were a joke--I was wrong --they have evolved into a science :wink: Your barrel should bring no less than 150 bucks :wink:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use this barrel primarily for quail (1 time so far). What range should I expect my maximum shot to be with my skeet barrel? Also the barrel doesn't say "target" on it. Is the skeet choke designation on the barrel indicate taget grade?

·
Registered
12,198 Posts
It may have been only where I was looking, but it is fairly rare for an 1100 barrel to bring 1/2 of new (new $250) on Ebay, usually around $90-110. I see alot more Rem target barrels being sold as a private sale than on the auction sites----compared to the SX-1/391 etc guns.

If you are satisfied with the length and everything else, I would go down to the gunsmithing forum and find Mike Orlens listings for putting tubes in (Ithink it is a sticky at the top), cheapest way out.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
snakebit ,

Two of my sons ,a friend and I shot some SCs the weekend of 12/11 . One sone had an 1100 IC, one had an 1100 SKEET , my friend was shooting a Gold Evolve with LM and I had an SX-1 with IM . We were all using 1oz #8 mag reloads ; my friend @about 1200 ; my sons and I , about 1290 .

There was one teal station at 40 + paces that the more open choked barrels broke OK ( of course I crushed those suckers)and the angle was about 30º to 45º ( you can the math) --- typically that shows that you really have to pattern the barrel with the load you expect to use to find out the effective range of that combination .

For general wing shooting and maybe 80 % of most SC presentations , SKEET or IC can do the job if the shooter will put the pattern in the right location .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts