Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older 1100 trap. I bought a new barrel with the choke tubes marked .27, .35, and .41. I am wondering if anyone has patterned their guns with these tubes. They seem to only come with the classic trap. I forgot to mention the barrel is the exact same part number that the classic trap has. Thanks

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I own a new 1100 Classic Trap. However, I have not yet patterned the gun with any of its 3 choke tubes (0.027, 0.034, 0.041).

Based upon the quality of breaks I'm getting from the 16 yard trap line, I prefer the 0.034 choke.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got to try the new barrel for the first time. Here is my take.
The .27 choke will absolutely smoke a target on the 16 yard line if I do my job. Its tight but gives just a little bit of wiggle room. My guess is that it would be fine back to the 20-22 yard line or so.

I shot the .41 off the 20 yard line just for the fun of it and it is very unforgiving. I broke a decent score but it was real hard to zero in on the target. NO wiggle room here. Then I shot the .41 off the 27 yard line for fun. This choke will break em all day long back there. Problem is, I have not business shooting that far back. Im not that good.

Overall, Im very pleased with the tubes. I have way more expensive guns and keep coming back to my 1100 trap.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Nomochevys, I have been shooting a n 1100 ClassicTrap for over a year and I agree with your assessment of the chokes as marked and performance. after several hundred runds the gun has never skipped a beat. In fact I put a Morgan pad on it and got a 26" barrel and use it for skeet as well. It does fine. I do not like the fit of the factory MC stock so the Morgan pad allowed me to lower the comb.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strut64, Mine is an older gun. It was made in 82 and I bought it used about 15 years ago. Just this past summer it started not cycleing properly. I spent about 120.00 to totally upgrade the guts so to speak in it. My gunsmith told me it was good to go for a long time again. For the money they are hard to beat.

The only thing I have done to mine is had gracoil cut a adjustable cheek piece in the stock. Very professional job and the gun fits me to a tee now.

Funny story, I was shooting at this years state skeet championship and I knew that my gun was suspect at that time. It had just started acting up. Well, I had 2 gun malfunctions by the second station. That is all that is allowed. I borrowed my buddies brand new 1100 classic trap to finish out with and broke a
97 that day with a borrowed gun. It was a good day. They will do the job if we do ours.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I bought my new 1100 Classic Trap on Dec. 3, 2006.

I have been shooting trap regularily since 1970 and I am "old school", I "choke for smoke"; I use the .041".

I am running about a 97/100 in 16 yard practice. I use this choke for everything on the trap range but I am used to an 870TB with a similar constriction fixed full.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Claydust, have you patterned your gun with the .41? Im just curious as to what it does on paper. Seems like you are shooting it real well.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
nomochevys said:
Claydust, have you patterned your gun with the .41?
No, I haven't.

The weather and ground conditions at the club have not been the best for doing this and my duties as trapchairman at the club (volunteer operated), don't help.

First thig I did when I got the 1100CT was shoot it for POI; 60/40, dead on for "windage" with the .041". However, that was the extent of my "paper shooting".

I do intend to patter the all the chokes when conditions permit.

The gun vaporizes well centered targets at 16 yards and will give authorative breaks out to non-official ranges, i.e. meat shoot "miss and out" shoot offs from 30+ yards behind the trap; all with 1150 or 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz. 7 1/2 reloads.

I like this gun :D

The standard Remington trap montecarlo stock fits like it was made for me, 29 years of shooting this style of gun (870TB and 870TC) plus the 1100CT's good shooting characteristics help me to run those scores.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Claydust, If you ever get around to pattering the gun please post the results here. I will do the same. The reason Im so curious is that Im not aware of any remington coming with these exclusive tubes that the 1100 classic trap comes with. Im going to shoot some skeet today with the 1100. Skeet tubes of course.

Im curious why remington does not offer these tubes with the 870
trap. I might just try the .41 on the 16 and let the chips fall were they may. A old man told me recently to put in the tightest choke you had for the gun and throw the rest away. He said he had learned this from years of shooting.

Not being a very good shooter, I felt the .27 might help me pick up a target or 2 from the 21 or so yard line and up. This choke will smoke em too but probably not with as much authority as the .41. Im still experimenting.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
nomochevys said:
A old man told me recently to put in the tightest choke you had for the gun and throw the rest away. He said he had learned this from years of shooting.
I am 53 (my knees are 83 :shock: :oops: ) and have been at the "game since 1970, so I may be "old" to some :wink:

My experience is the same as the person in the quote.

When I do shoot my Citori Grade I Trap, which am doing less of these days, I do run am Imp. Mod for 16 yards in the bottom barrel. However, my average is about the same or slightly lower than when I shoot my full choked 870s and the 1100CT with the .041".

I had a 1976 vintage Citori Grade I Trap up until 1993, it had fixed Mod and Full, the Mod was a true Mod in performance, my scores were no better with that choke at 16 yards than with my fixed full 870TB and the breaks were never great. I could never tell if I was realy "on them" or not.

Those have been my experiences, other may differ.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
nomochevys said:
Im curious why remington does not offer these tubes with the 870
trap. .
They do. The current production 1100 Classic Trap and the 870 Classic Trap both come with the same 3 standard bore trap chokes: 0.027, 0.034, 0.041.

These chokes are also available as separate accessories for any standard bore (0.727) Rem-choked Remington.

I own a new 1100 Classic Trap and love it. But I have not paper patterned any of the chokes yet. Judging by my performance at 16 yard singles, the 0.034 suits me just fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got back from shooting. 50 skeet, 50 trap and 50 at sporting clays. Had a ball. I felt like I might be at a slight disatvantge shooting sporting clays because I only have a skeet tube and the 3 formentioned tubes. ON top of that, everybody else had a stack gun. It was not the case today.

At one time remington didnt mention the tubes for the 870. It may have been an older brochure I had.

I may ad that I meant no disrespect about the term "old man". One of my good shooting buddies is 48 and if he sees a guy that is 49 he calls him an old man. LOL! I guess it rubbed off on me too.

I have a citori xt but just cant seem to shoot it quite as good.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
nomochevys said:
I may ad that I meant no disrespect about the term "old man".
None taken. :D

It is a joke where I work too, in our office everyone is over 40. In our field operation, except for a few in their 20's, it is much the same story.

We have two regulars at the club, one is 70, the other 74, still pretty active, we joke about them too :wink: We tried being nice to one, one day; he thought we were mad at him.

I run on the priciple;

If you can't be young

Be immature!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts