Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 1100 competition and when patterning it it consistently shoots 6-8" low regardless of comb height. Two other experienced shooters, one an instructor also had the same issue even when switching choke tubes. Is this common and can it be corrected? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigeejakes said:
jerryg22 said:
RandyWakeman said:
Elevating the comb 1/16 inch raises the POI at 30 yards by approximately two inches.
Randy, the comb was elevated to its full height and the POI hardly changed.
Sorry, but I agree with Randy. It's a mathematical function of geometry on the gun... If you raise the comb, your pattern will be higher.
Sounds logical but three people shot it and it is what it is. I'm suspecting a bent barrel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
jerryg22 said:
bigeejakes said:
jerryg22 said:
RandyWakeman said:
Elevating the comb 1/16 inch raises the POI at 30 yards by approximately two inches.
Randy, the comb was elevated to its full height and the POI hardly changed.
Sorry, but I agree with Randy. It's a mathematical function of geometry on the gun... If you raise the comb, your pattern will be higher.
Sounds logical but three people shot it and it is what it is. I'm suspecting a bent barrel.
Are you building up the top of the comb? How are you adjusting it? Adjustable butt plates won't work. Even with a bent barrel, building up a comb will still raise the poi. Try taping cardboard on top of the comb.

Just trying to think through it before you trash the barrel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
We saw similar results-I ended up going to the 1100 trap barrel(lt contour) and it did not shoot low-I believe something is/was off with some of their competition barrels.-It may have had to do with the choke installation-Send the barrel to one of Remington's warranty repair shops and have them check it out-I did and they agreed with my findings. I switched mine out with the Trap barrel and couldn't have been happier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
938 Posts
Just a thought ... Most of us use the comb adjustment to align our dominant eye with the rib on top of the barrel(s). Eye position is the "rear sight" position. To me it has less to do with where the comb is than where the eye is. If the OP is using two beads to get the same "sight picture" each time, the comb position isn't the issue. Admittedly, the face position on the stock, pitch, mount parameters, etc. have some minor influence on POi, but, to me, the eye position is key -- not the comb position. What am I missing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Diddle said:
Just a thought ... Most of us use the comb adjustment to align our dominant eye with the rib on top of the barrel(s). Eye position is the "rear sight" position. To me it has less to do with where the comb is than where the eye is. If the OP is using two beads to get the same "sight picture" each time, the comb position isn't the issue. Admittedly, the face position on the stock, pitch, mount parameters, etc. have some minor influence on POi, but, to me, the eye position is key -- not the comb position. What am I missing?
I agree! It's all about where the eye is. With a shotgun with a mid bead it can be helpful to check your eye position. With my field gun there is only one bead, I raised the comb 1/4" and couldn't tell a difference in the way the barrel appeared, but my gun now shoots much higher. Remember we're talking differences in eye position of 1/8 and 1/16" that make differences of feet at the target!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vette Jockey said:
jerryg22 said:
One more question. If the barrel needs to be bent, in which direction (muzzle end) should it be adjusted - upwards or downwards to raise the point of impact?
Seriously?
Yes, seriously. On a rifle the front sight is moved opposite to the direction you wish to correct the POI. Logic says on a shotgun to bend the barrel in the same direction, but I thought I would check, so pardon me if I caused you think I was not serious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
jerryg22 said:
Vette Jockey said:
jerryg22 said:
One more question. If the barrel needs to be bent, in which direction (muzzle end) should it be adjusted - upwards or downwards to raise the point of impact?
Seriously?
Yes, seriously. On a rifle the front sight is moved opposite to the direction you wish to correct the POI. Logic says on a shotgun to bend the barrel in the same direction, but I thought I would check, so pardon me if I caused you think I was not serious.
I really think you're over thinking this. Read some threads on gun fitting... please don't bend your barrel.

Go out and build up the comb. It will fix your problem of a low shooting shotgun. Remember that you don't aim a shotgun you point it, and if the gun doesn't fit it's like you've got a broken finger.

6" low at 30 yards is not much at all- make sure you are using a solid gun mount on your cheek as you are patterning it! I would expect you need to add 1/2" or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really appreciate your recommendation, but please understand that THREE different shooters encountered the same issue at the patterning board. One an ATA competitor that also fits shotguns, one an ATA instructor, and of course me. At every comb height the beads lined up in a figure 8, with no apparent change. This should not occur, so that is the mystery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,251 Posts
jerryg22 said:
I really appreciate your recommendation, but please understand that THREE different shooters encountered the same issue at the patterning board. One an ATA competitor that also fits shotguns, one an ATA instructor, and of course me. At every comb height the beads lined up in a figure 8, with no apparent change. This should not occur, so that is the mystery.
That is geometrically impossible. You are changing the points of a triangle. I think it is time to stop trying to help over the internet, as something isn't sounding right. This might be one of the better trolls in a while, or I have lost all confidence in the ATA. :)
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top