Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opened the Goose Season in PA on Thursday. While shooting at the first group of decoying birds, my older 1100 did not cycle. First shell fired, but didn't eject. The bolt stayed closed. Test fired later with same results, but when I manually loaded a single shell, it fired and ejected. When home, I disassembled to see what was wrong. Everything was cleaned previously, but I cleaned and lubed again. When running empties through the gun to test it, it would load correctly, but upon pulling the trigger, I could not manually operate the bolt. Forcing the bolt back ejected the first shell and the second chambered, but again, the bolt was sticking. I'm not sure if it is related, or me being over sensitized, but it seemed to require more travel from the carrier release to get the bolt to slam home when loading. Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
More details please.
Ammo using?
3" barrel, or 2 3/4"?
Have you used the same ammo without issue before?

·
Registered
20,502 Posts
dubsdad said:
Opened the Goose Season in PA on Thursday. While shooting at the first group of decoying birds, my older 1100 did not cycle. First shell fired, but didn't eject. The bolt stayed closed. Test fired later with same results, but when I manually loaded a single shell, it fired and ejected. When home, I disassembled to see what was wrong. Everything was cleaned previously, but I cleaned and lubed again. When running empties through the gun to test it, it would load correctly, but upon pulling the trigger, I could not manually operate the bolt. Forcing the bolt back ejected the first shell and the second chambered, but again, the bolt was sticking. I'm not sure if it is related, or me being over sensitized, but it seemed to require more travel from the carrier release to get the bolt to slam home when loading. Any insight is appreciated.
It sounds like it may be a broken link (connecting rod).

Remove the trigger assembly and take a look at the link. It's on the rear end of the bolt assembly and connects the bolt assembly to the recoil spring plunger.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After careful inspection of the action bar assembly, everything appears ok. Nothing broken or overly worn. I did notice a corner of the hammer appears to be sheared off. I will replace the hammer and spring, but was wondering, would the hammer interfere with bolt travel? I will also replace the worn bolt buffer. Should I also replace the slide block buffer? This was a used, not well maintained magnum gun that saw heavy use. I have been shooting and maintaining it for about seven years, but now think it's time to start replacing some parts.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The bolt carrier pushes the hammer down to cock it. If the hammer edge is broken on the front edge it could make make manual cocking rough feeling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.