Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a first gun and have decided between a pump 870 synthetic or a 1100 synthetic in 12 gauge. What do you think would be a good first gun. Can anyone point me to reviews or anything? Thanks.

· Registered
4,555 Posts
I've had an 1100 for 30 years and love it still. I don't like pumps all that much to be honest. For hunting or clays, the pump is not going to work as well on doubles.

I'd get the 1100...

Scott

· Registered
255 Posts
A friend of mine bought the 1100 synthetic last year and has had no problems at all with it. The only drawback is he has to use 2 3/4" shells for geese, but he shot 16 of them this past season so I guess it's not really a drawback for him. I'm looking pretty hard at an 1100 synthetic in a 20ga right now. A shop about an hour away has a sale on them for $399. That's kinda hard to pass up. If you need to shoot 3" shells then you'll have to lean to the 870. You'll likely be happy with either one.

· Registered
338 Posts
I had an 870, wonderfull gun,
I never had an 1100 but would love to try it.
I think , however that you will benefit more from an 1100.
It will fire a second round faster and with less "jurk" then a pump. A pump is nice for home protection, it makes a nice ..."don't f__k with me" :twisted: sound, .
Both are excelent guns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Firefly,

I don't know about you, but if I was where I did NOT belong and heard the sound of an 1100 (or other semi) action slam closed - I think my first thought would be Oh S#%&! :!:

Radnor

· Registered
14 Posts
Another option you might consider is the Rem 1100 Laminated. It's kind of like having a synthetic that looks like wood. It's a non-catalog gun for 2003 so you won't even find it on their web site. I just love mine. I've shot about 750 rounds through it in the last month (trap & sporting clays) and nary a hiccup.
Good Shootin'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had an 1100 synthetic that worked beautifully. Killed a lot of birds with it, broke a lot of clays. I sold it because I like o/u's better. However, my daughter just turned 13 and she loved that synthetic 1100. So for her birthday we got her a synthetic 1100 in 20ga. She and I were out shooting this afternoon and she just loves it. They are great guns. I plan to purchase one of the wood stocked 1100's in 16ga as soon as I can find one. Cannot go wrong with the 1100.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
try the verona 1100, its a semi auto shotgun capable of carrying 3" shells ive heard many rave reviews and own one myself, best gun in my arsenal. and its under 300 bucks.

· Registered
173 Posts
If your a fairly new shooter, I would recomend you buy the 870! A pump will actually help you concentrate more on your shots, as to where it's just to easy (and fun) to throw a wall of lead up with an semi. Both great guns, don't get me wrong. I have a few of each. I'm just saying start with the pump, and add the 1100 later and have two great guns for your collection.. Good Luck! just my 2cents!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Verona does not make an 1100. It is a Remington product. Verona has a black synthetic semiauto whose designation is SX405. BEWARE it is built in Turkey and my experience with guns from there is that they are CRAP. Again, not something I heard--something I experienced.

· Registered
698 Posts
I have a Synthetic Remington 1100 and have nothing but good things to say. Mine is 12 ga and it kicks a lot less than a 870. I currently shoot sporting clays and have never experienced any hick-up of any type. Just remember that the 1100 is a gas operated automatic and you need to keep it clean and oiled which will provide you with years of great service.

· Registered
61 Posts
1100 Synthetic - Oh Yea! Definitely gonna be my next all purpose, field, clay gun! Am tired of a pump for doubles! And the 1100 synthetic ain't too nice to take to the field, boonies and tuff country! Looks like a field, clay, all purpose Supreme to me...

· Registered
4,555 Posts
Jag said:
A pump will actually help you concentrate more on your shots...
Jag,

I have got to hear the explanantion for this statement. Please, tell us how a pump will actually help you concentrate more on your shots versus shooting a semi.

Scott

· Registered
4,144 Posts
When I started shooting I used a pump and I definitly did a lot better than if I shot an auto. It really does make you concentrate on the second shot in doubles. I'm lazy now and shoot an auto :lol:.

· Registered
4,555 Posts
clayshooter25/25,

A pump kicks harder and requires your to pump the gun to load another shell. Neither of these "features" helps you aquire a second targer easier or faster.

Scott

· Registered
4,144 Posts
If you started out as a pump shooter you would know what I mean. I can't really describe it. One time I remember doing as well with my pump as a guy with an auto that was a lot better at the time. Hopefully another person that started off with a pump can clear this up.

· Registered
4,555 Posts
clayshooter25/25,

If you shoot better with a pump versus an auto, it is because you are used to the rythm of the pump or you are used the feel of your pump.

Take 100 people that have never shot a pump or an auto and have them shoot doubles. 90 percent of will shoot better with the auto.

Again, the recoil and the pump action do not help you acquire the second target easier or faster. There is a reason that you don't see many pumps in Skeet, Trap, or Shooting Clays competition.

I am not saying that pumps are bad guns. They just don't magically make it easier to concentrate on the second target.

Scott

· Registered
4,144 Posts
Different people can do better with different guns I guess. The only thing I hated about my pump was that when you load the shells from the bottom it would scrape against my thumb. You are right that the auto's are a delight to shoot though. I'm still used to my pump that I shot for a very long time so I'm still adjusting to the auto.

Good shooting :) .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.