Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across a very nice condition 1100 Trap in a local shop today. I think I'm going to go back and pick it up. It's on consignment for $375 and the fellows over in the ID/Value forum said that it's a good buy at that price.

I was looking for a reasonably priced semi- for recreational busting of clays. I understand that the fixed full choke wouldn't be the best for sporting clays though.

I like the idea of getting a new barrel with changeable chokes and maybe a touch shorter. Will I run into problems getting a non-Trap specific barrel? It seemed to me that the vent rib on the stock barrel was higher than normal to account for the MC style stock? Is that right, or was I seeing things? The MC stock would take a little getting used to as I seemed to naturally sit a little too high with it. If I end up with a barrel with a lower VR that could cause me problems, no?

·
Registered
200 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the fixed, full choke trap barrel. Those barrels are starting to become worth almost as much as the guns themselves. They shoot straight, pattern tightly and evaporate clay pigeons. They are also devastating barrels to use on pheasants.

I use mine for sporting clays, too. Close shots will be a little tough - but most clays courses are now presenting targets that are as far or farther than the average trap target shot from the 16 yard line (average trap target breaking distance is 33 yards) 40 to 45 from the 27 yd line

The rib shouldn't be noticeably higher unless it's an aftermarket rib. Remington's fixed choke trap bbls with mid rib beads and white front beads came with a small "step" in the 1970s and early 1980s. In 30" length they were product code # 9516
for full and 9514 for Modified. These barrels came in green Remington boxes with White Remington logo lettering and yellow labels.

In the 1960s, the first trap barrels had the same rib configuration as the vent rib field barrels, although they did have both the mid rib steel bead and white front target bead. Those barrels were coded 9526 for 30" full choke and came in white boxes with red Remington lettering with the Dupont logo in an oval. They also had very pronounced stress relief cuts near the edge of the chamber and barrel extension. The stock is a more relevant concern than the barrel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks for the great info! Unfortunately I missed out on the gun by about an hour. I checked it out an hour before closing at the shop last night, then when I showed up at opening this morning it was already sold. :( Oh well. Great info though!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks, I may have misquoted the product code # 9512 (not 9516) was the old 30" fixed, full trap with a slight step rib.
9614 was the same barrel but a Mod. choke.

Even Remington's modified fixed chokes were excellent trap target breakers even at the 27 yard line. Leo Harrison, III of Missouri in the ATA trapshooting hall of fame put his name in trapshooting history with an old 1100 as did Daro Handy
and of course with the 870 there was Rudy Etchen whose original 1950 model 870 sits in a display case at the ATA Hall of Fame Museum. Estimated 1 million rounds through Rudy Etchen's 870. The internal bore dimensions of the old 1100s and 870s were the same.

If you see an old 1100 or 870 trap gun in good shape - buy it. They are awesome guns and resellable instantly at equal or greater value

·
Registered
14,316 Posts
Here's another one...what beautiful wood!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =140529933

I was wondering what kind of a skeet gun this would make? When this gun was new people would say anyone wanting it for skeet was crazy, but the monte carlo, parallel stock and 30" bbl are all common in skeet nowadays. Do you think it would shoot too high, with that old, low rib? Why doesn't a 391 parallel target SL shoot too high?

I would worry that a gun like this had a lot of use however.

The full choke is a bit of a dilemma; would a set of after market screw-in chokes or having a gunsmith bore out the bbl to SK or IC effect the value/accuracy of the old bbl, or does it really even matter? Will a modern remchoke bbl fit this older receiver? I do appreciate what you said below about these old bbls.

northeastm1a said:
There is nothing wrong with the fixed, full choke trap barrel. Those barrels are starting to become worth almost as much as the guns themselves. They shoot straight, pattern tightly and evaporate clay pigeons. They are also devastating barrels to use on pheasants.

I use mine for sporting clays, too. Close shots will be a little tough - but most clays courses are now presenting targets that are as far or farther than the average trap target shot from the 16 yard line (average trap target breaking distance is 33 yards) 40 to 45 from the 27 yd line

The rib shouldn't be noticeably higher unless it's an aftermarket rib. Remington's fixed choke trap bbls with mid rib beads and white front beads came with a small "step" in the 1970s and early 1980s. In 30" length they were product code # 9516
for full and 9514 for Modified. These barrels came in green Remington boxes with White Remington logo lettering and yellow labels.

In the 1960s, the first trap barrels had the same rib configuration as the vent rib field barrels, although they did have both the mid rib steel bead and white front target bead. Those barrels were coded 9526 for 30" full choke and came in white boxes with red Remington lettering with the Dupont logo in an oval. They also had very pronounced stress relief cuts near the edge of the chamber and barrel extension. The stock is a more relevant concern than the barrel

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
nody said:
I wouldn't want to ruin the bbl w/ a set of Brileys.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. If there is one thing I am pretty confident of, it is that having a set of Briley's choke tubes installed is not going to ruin a Remington barrel.

·
Registered
14,316 Posts
Virginian said:
nody said:
I wouldn't want to ruin the bbl w/ a set of Brileys.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. If there is one thing I am pretty confident of, it is that having a set of Briley's choke tubes installed is not going to ruin a Remington barrel.
Yeah, thought that sounded kinda dumb and edited it while you were replying. Not trying to say Brileys don't enhance value, just talking about marring the original.

So Virginian, oh master of 1100's, what do you think about this gun for skeet, with a new choke?

Also, you should scare up a copy of today's (thursday 9/24) USA Today. On page 8A is a full page ad commemorating the 10 millionth 870 made, Remingtons being your forte. :D

·
Registered
14,693 Posts
I would not think a trap gun would be very good for skeet, or rather I know it wouldn't be for me.
I saw the ad. Very cool. The 10,000,000th 870 is being done up very nicely for the NRA foundation or some such, if I remember right. Definitely not an Express. :mrgreen:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.