Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
caseyquimby said:
Which current remington model butt stock, 870 or 1100, would be easiest to modify in order to fit a 1148 in a 12ga?

Thanks,

Casey
Not sure, but I have a used 870 stock coming my way to see what needs to be done to fit my 11-48.

I have heard that the 1100 stocks should be close to a direct-fit replacement.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
caseyquimby said:
Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Now if I could just find a synthetic buttstock by itself...
Hang on a sec Casey...

While S&K (OEM manf. for Remmy) may be using interchangable stocks at the moment, many of the aftermarket folks don't. If they have different part numbers for 870 v. 1100 stocks, your better bet would be to go with the 1100 model.

I have a newer Hogue synthetic 870 stock (purchased as a stock by itself for an 870) that I tried to put onto an 11-48: It did not fit: the hole for the bolt on the 870 stock is smaller in diameter than the hole for the recoil spring tube on the '48. The "used" *cough*beater*cough* 870 stock mentioned above is going to be an attempt to see what needs to be done: most likely I will have to bore out that same area. On the wood stock, this can be done fairly easily, on a synthetic, the stock will be primarily hollow so there may not be enough plastic there to overbore to fit the '48.

Probably the easiest way to tell would be to ask the synthetic stock maker what the ID of their inlet for the stock screw/recoil tube is. On my 11-48, the recoil spring tube OD is .585" inches (IIRC), so you'd need ~.6" ID for the stock to be a direct fit replacement. Even then, you may have to shim the retainer nut or backbore deeper to get the nut to fit.

Just a heads up from someone who's in the same boat as you are.

On a related note: Brad, I owe you an email. I apologize, but I was away from my computer this weekend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, I was talking about the wood stocks only. The 12ga 870 Wingmaster (not Express) and 12ga 1100 stocks have been functionally identical for at least 15 years.

I can't speak as to what the synthetics are. The receivers on the 870 and 1100 are identical - the difference would be in what diameter the hole in the stock is, as the bolt in the 870 is much smaller diameter than the tube in the 1100.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have an 11-48 28ga that had a cut off stock, I bought an 1100 28ga stock from Gun Parts Distributors to replace it. I had to bore about 4" down from the butt end so the nut would reach the screws on the tube...easy peasy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.