Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased this new and the original barrel shot 1 oz slugs well. After shooting in a 3 gun match I wasn't impressed with the factory sights on the barrel. I then sent it to Vang Comp Systems to have a new barrel and ghost sights installed with a Mesa Tactical shell holder. I"m now trying to find a proper slug to shoot with it. S&B suck. Low recoil slugs cause it to jam. I've sighted it in at 25 yards with Brenneke KO 1 oz slug and it's a nice tight group. When I shoot at 50 yards it seems to be about 8 inches or so high. I shot the 1187P off the bench and it should shoot at least a few inches high at 50 yards. Shooting the shotgun is not my forte'. Does anyone have any ideas of what type of slug I should be using?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've shot a good number of Brenneke KO rounds from both my Vang Comp'd 870s. My experience is that they shoot very flat. Doesn't the back of the box have a chart that shows bullet drop out to 100 meters or so?

I alwasy sight slugs in a 100yrds and the KOs should not rise or fall more than 2 or 3 inches from zero through 100 yards. Eight inches high is not the ammo and I am not sure how many inches is "a few inches."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I regularly been shooting 100 to 200 yards with either my M-4 or my PSS in .308. I did my time in the USMC and I know how to shoot. I use to own a 870 with an 18" barrel and it shot 4"-5" groups at 100 yards benched using the standard Brenneke 1 oz slug. Lately I decided to pick up this 1187P so that I can get involved in 3 gun matches with my department when we get a team together.

After practicing with the factory rifle sight I had it dead on at 25 yards with S&B 1 oz slugs shooting a 2" grouping and at 50 yards it opened up a bit with around 3" group 1-1/2 to 2" high above the X off the bench.

At the match when it came to the shotgun stage I wasn't impressed at all with the sight alignment/picture that those cheap sights gave. A lot of the fellow officers had ghost sights. Most of them had Mossberg pumps and 870s and used Federal low recoil slugs. The one guy that had won the match had an 1187P with ghost sights.

Anyway, I sent the shotgun to Vang Comp. The ghost sights they put on also has the front sight which can be adjusted for elevation. After benching the weapon and sighting in at 25 yards I found that Remington, Winchester and Federal shot higher than the Brenneke KO by at least 8". The Brenneke was now sighted in at 25 yards in a 2" group. The front sight appeared to be sitting way to high and that it leaned to the left making the rear sight bottoming out in it's setting. Now I had to compensate with the windage which was 2 clicks to the left. I sent the barrel back to Vang Comp and they adjusted the sight.

Now it leans a tad to the right. I can deal with that. But again it seems high almost even with the outside ears of the sight. Vang Comp says that this Italian sight is normal. I tried it at 50 yards and it shot around a 3" group about 5" at 12 o'clock. It seems to me that it shot better before I sunk $750.00 into it.

The next thing I'm going to do is sight it in at 50 yards and see how this will do. I think this weapon should shoot an easy dead on at 25 yards with a 1-1/2" to 2" high in elevation.

If this doesn't work I'm going to try 3" slugs.

Thanks for any input you can make.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoke with Glenn from Van Comp System later today and he wants to go over the weapon and warranty the work that was done to the 1187P. Seems that the sights might need to be replaced and they will sight it in for free. Not bad if I must say.

Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before I shipped out the shotgun yesterday I decided to try it one more time. I picked up 30 rounds of Remington Rifled Sluggers 2-1/2" 1 oz shells. For a total of 70 rounds in two days. The 1187P was now shot off the bench at 25 yards and made a good 2-1/2" grouping with a flyer. Then I started to shoot at 50 yards and that's when it things fell apart. The groupings were 3"-4" and now about 1-1/2" - 2" above the previous group with the ocassional flyer. The more I shot the more the groupings shifted to the right. At this point I was thinking am I this bad! After a close examination I found that the rear sight was now loose. Shipped it out to Vang Comp Systems and they said they will do the neccesary service. Hope to get it back soon so that I can get ready for the 3 gun season.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts