Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how is the 16.9 gr clays powder in the 1200fps range as listed in the manual with w209 primer and waa12sl wad and number 8 magnum shot with 16 yard trap??, Will this load make the triggers operate in a beretta o/u ultralight?.. At what point (loads) have you had problems operating the triggers setting to the second shot?..... Will the recoil with this load be ok on the trapline with that little 6 pound gun that has a hard plastic recoil pad? (still searching for the right light upland gun for me) Dave..

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I don't know about the Beratta Ultralight, but an even lighter load of Titewad works the inertial triggers on my Brownings, even the older Superposed. It also works the action on both of my 11-87s. The lighter load I use quite frequently is 7/8 ounce shot, WAA12L wad or Claybuster clone of it, 16.2 grs. Titewad, either the STS or AA hull with either the Rem. STS, Win 209, or CCI-209 primer. This is about a 1200 fps load, and it works well at trap back to about the 19 yard line with #8 shot, although I did need to increse the choke to full from my normal imp. mod.

·
Registered
702 Posts
fffg The thing to remember is that even though the load you are shooting is a 12 ga "lite" load it is identical to most standard 20 ga loads. It will kick like a standard 20 ga 6 pound o/u and there will be plenty of inerta to reset your triggers unless they are defective. Shoot and enjoy.
--- Chip King ---

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
chipking said:
fffg It will kick like a standard 20 ga 6 pound o/u and there will be plenty of inerta to reset your triggers unless they are defective. Shoot and enjoy.
--- Chip King ---
And a 6 pound 20 gauge shot with standard loads many times, such as when shooting clay targets, will kick your shoulder pretty good too.

·
Registered
649 Posts
OKShotgunner said:
101VooDoo said:
Welcome back OKShotgunner, long time no post -
Thanks. I've been gone for quite a while doing some technical stuff for the DoD. I may start posting again in the near future.
Glad to see you back, Stan.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I own a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon S, 12 ga field, and I have trouble using 7/8 loads. Nothing less than 1 oz load will set the inertia trigger. I have posted several notes on this forum, but I have never had a satisfactory answer. So I stopped using the Beretta and I'm using succesfully a Rizzini with 3/4 oz shot in a set of 20 ga. Chamber mates. Works perfect.
I hope to find a solution to my problem one day. I wish you luck with your 7/8 load.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Mousson,

I'll almost bet you a fiver I know what your problem is. List the complete load you are using, including hull, primer, wad, and powder drop, in those 7/8 oz, loads.

This information will most likely reveal your problem.

DLM

·
Registered
55 Posts
D L Marcum:

My loads are:

7/8 oz of #8 in Remington Premier shells
Nobel sport primer
17 gr. of Red Dot
Waa12L (Grey wad)

This load will cycle all my other guns including a Beretta 303 semi, but not the Beretta 687.

I also reload 3/4 oz in 12 Ga. in Remington Premier shells
16 gr of Red Dot
Waa12 L (with 1/6th" fiber cushion under shot)
Nobel sport primer

Also in 20 ga. shot in 12 Ga. Rizzini with Chamber Mates
3/4 oz shot in Remington STs shells
13.7 gr. of International Clays
Waa20
Nobel Sport Primer

All this loads work well with my Rizzini, but not will cycle the Beretta 687. Occasionally, I use 1 oz loads for sporting clays and 5 stand that work well in the Beretta 687, but I prefer to shoot lighter loads both for economy and light recoil.

I have been reloading for 7 years now and I have produce Tens of Thousands of shells already. The problem is not in my reloading, but in the inertia weights of the Beretta.
Somedy on this forum suggested that I cleaned my gun thoroughly, which I did, but to no avail.

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Mousson,
Well I would have lost that bet. I figured you were just too light on the powder charge, BUT, your load should be ok, although I prefer one just a tad faster than that one.

It has been proven to me without any doubt, that a 7/8 oz. 12 ga. load will perform best at a speed of about 1220 to 1225 FPS. Too many people try to slow then down to around 1150 and sometimes slower, and lose much of the efficient performance available at the slightly higher speed. Recoil is still very minimal.

Your case is an inertia block that is too stiffly sprung. Send it to Briley and have them do a trigger conversion to it.

This is the conversion that they do when tubing a gun, to make it reset when shooting the 410 tubes. It is also how Beretta Factory 4 barrel sets are set up. The inertia block spring is different, and allows the block to reset with a minimum of recoil. Cost is about $75 to do this.

DLM

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the advices. About the speed, I usually try to stay around 1200 fps, even with light loads. I have tried to push my 7/8 loads up to 1300 fps, to see if I could set the trigger, but it didnt work and they were kicking too much for my taste.

It's too bad I don't live in the States. My problem would have been very easy to correct. I travel there from time to time, but no question of taking even part of a gun with me through customs.

So I will have to do it myself. The Gunsmiths here (Haiti) are more familiar with autoloaders than O/U. Is there a book from Beretta or third party that could teach me how to modify or replace the inertia blocks? I am pretty handy with tools and I could handle the job if I have the proper guidance. May be someone on this forum have done this and would be willing to help me.

Anyway, thanks for your attention.

·
Registered
9,060 Posts
ffffg said:
how is the 16.9 gr clays powder in the 1200fps range as listed in the manual with w209 primer and waa12sl wad and number 8 magnum shot with 16 yard trap??, Will this load make the triggers operate in a beretta o/u ultralight?.. At what point (loads) have you had problems operating the triggers setting to the second shot?..... Will the recoil with this load be ok on the trapline with that little 6 pound gun that has a hard plastic recoil pad? (still searching for the right light upland gun for me) Dave..
I shoot an identical load during warm weather practice, as the load will break targets reliably from the 16 yd line, but I have had significant trouble with squibs in the cold weather using this light of a load of Clays and 7/8 oz of shot.

·
Registered
574 Posts
mousson said:
I also reload 3/4 oz in 12 Ga. in Remington Premier shells
16 gr of Red Dot
Waa12 L (with 1/6th" fiber cushion under shot)
Nobel sport primer
mousson,
I load almost the exact load except that I use 16.9 grains of Red Dot and a W209 primer. Is the fiber cushion a requirement or personnal preference?

DL,
I'm running the above modified load out at about 1150 fps for clay shooting. Should I try and kick it up a little bit for better ballistics?

·
Registered
10,358 Posts
Junkers88,

I would certainly give it a try. My results with reduced loads have never been as good at low velocity's. I truly believe you will find that you will get better performance ballistically, with reduced loads if you run them up to about 1225 FPS. At this speed they seem to perforn as well as the heavier loads, at least at Skeet distances.

DLM

·
Registered
55 Posts
Junkers88

The fiber cushion gives me a better crimp. I have read about people on this forum not using any filler for this load and getting satisfactory crimp, but it didn't work for me.

As for the 16.9 gr. of red dot, I figure it should work fine. You should gain a little speed which would make D L Marcum happy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts