Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I cut open a 12 ga AAHS and a Winchester Universal shell they appear to have the same base wad. Can I reload with the same AA type wads? In other words are the 2 hulls interchangeable with the same reload data. (CB1100-12, 1 oz, Win 209's and Titewad X.X gn). I want to use the Universals as shoot 1 time hulls. Thanks for you input, Chip

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
The Universals have very thin plastic and are a pain to reload successfully. You can however use the same data as AA hulls. I decided they weren't worth the effort, and deciding what to do with the rejects.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark for your response. I will keep a weather eye out for rejects. I have lots of AA type wads and few AA's.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Stay as far away from Winchester Universal ammunition as possible, new or used. This is the absolute worst ammunition on the planet. I shoot just about every day and reload just about every day. I have the best luck with Remington, Federal and Clever hulls.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Chip Kolar said:
Thanks Mark for your response. I will keep a weather eye out for rejects. I have lots of AA type wads and few AA's.
The AA-type wads will work in Rem hulls too. Both are tapered hulls and the Win-style wads are all made for tapered wall hulls.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
IndyCA35 said:
I don't understand all the "one and done" talk about Universals.

Yes they are thinner, but as an experiment I loaded some repeatedly. Most went for 10 reloads.
If something is said often enough, it becomes the truth. For years, I believed the AAHS has a smaller internal capacity than the AACF because I had experienced problems using my CF load in the HS hull and I'd read on numerous posts the HS was smaller. But one day, I decided to check it for myself. I took a AAHS hull and a AACF hull of equal length. I filled the AACF with water so there was a meniscus on the top and then I poured the water from the CF into the HS expecting the water to overflow. It didn't, the water completely filled the HS and gave me the same meniscus I had on the CF. My conclusion: the HS does not have a smaller internal capacity than the CF. The two hulls are built differently and the insides of the two are laid out differently, causing them to load differently.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IndyCA35 I was referring to using Universals as use once and done because there are times I don't want to collect shells as I shoot and I can acquire large numbers of Univ shells in a few minutes at the range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.