Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to the guys who responded to my question, thank you.
seems I was a little off w/ my info. i was going off of what was left over supplies, but cut a shell open to measure the powder and found a red wad(don't know what manuf) instead of the waa12, and there was 35 grains of powder in the shell instead of 20. the 1 1/2 oz of shot came from the info that dad had written on the box and had 3 3/4 dram eq, whatever that means.
Sorry for the wrong info

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Those are NOT trap loads... with 35 grains of powder, it's got to be a very slow burning powder. I dunno about the wad, but now the 1-1/2 oz shot charge makes sense.

These are the equivalent of what would be sold as a 2-3/4 in magnum load. Good for pheasants that get up 50 yards away, but not much else that I can think of.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sounds like a very hot load, if it says 3-3/4 dram in a 2-3/4" shell.

I suspect the red wad is the Winchester field wad. WAA12R They generallly hold a bigger shot load than the WAA12. Sounds like whoever was loading those was going for duck. Thats a fair load of lead too. Maybe it was his "secret turkey shoot load", for those shots from the back fence. :shock:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.