Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been trying to find info on the existanc of 12 gauge 3.5" Slugs rifled or smooth. I know that some guys reload them, and have reached near 2000fps with them, but does anyone sell 3.5 12 gauge slugs? Seems like thats gonna be the next big thing. I mean a 20 gauge 3.5 blah thats a girlie gun. :)
I can only seem to find obscure refernece to yah they exist and of course a few silly you tube videos.

·
Registered
163 Posts
1 3/8 oz at 1900 fps! 3700 ft-lbs! That will definately kill anything in NA. Hmm, about 50-60 ft-lbs of recoil energy in the average gun? Still only accurate to about 150 yards in the hands of most people.

Not sure if most will like them.....I'll stick with the standard 2 3/4 or low recoil stuff, still kills them just as dead, just not as much wasted energy on the other side of the deer. I bet I can shoot it better too. :wink:

·
Registered
864 Posts
I am sure there are other manufacturers out there loading the 3.5 inch slug. I am licensed to manufacture ammunition, so I can load and sell, the Lyman sabot slugs out of my shop. I have been doing this for about 15 years now. I have been loading the 3.5 inch lyman sabots for about 8 years now. I have one man shooting a 4 inch group at 250 yards with the 3.5 sabot slugs. No one else has tried to shoot that far that I load for. I sell them in bags of 25 for $25, so people can sight in, and still have enough slugs to hunt with. The 2.75 and 3 inch sabots I sell 25 for $20.

I have only had one man come back with the slugs. He wanted to return them, because they recoiled to hard. He shot them while laying down :shock: With any 12 gauge slug, that is just a big no no, unless you want to break your collar bone. I gladly refunded his money. I didn't need nuts like that shooting my slugs :?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
jedimastermopar said:
After reading info about the lightfields it says that they are designed to expand to the diamter of the barrel, would this mean you could shoot them through an overbore barrel on a 935 mossberg?
I assume you are talking about your standard field barrel for a 935 mossberg? If so, I'm almost postive that mossberg DOES NOT recommend shooting slugs in a backbored barrel. If it is a mossberg slug barrel (fully rifled) it isn't backbored and would be fine.

If you have any questions, I would contact Mossberg directly.

Jim

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yup, they exist. All you have to do is take the Lyman 1-3/16oz. "overgrown air-gun pellet" wad-slugs and load them in 3-1/2" magnum hulls.

No problem, dude. In fact you can also take a NEF ultra slug hunter (rifled barrel) in 12ga. and have your friendly local gun smith ream out the chamber for the 3-1/2" shells. Yes, it's perfectly safe because NEF makes interchangable barrels for that frame designed for turkey hunting that are chambered for the 3-1/2" shell. Or you could just buy the reamer and do the chore yourself. Oh, yah, with the right load combination you can get those slugs to break the 2,000 fps. barrier. Just make sure you cast them from Type-metal and use only the tough Federal wads (12S3 & 12S4).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts