Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience using Titewad for 7/8 oz loads? I shot four boxes of the following recipe at 5-stand today:

Rem. Hull
7/8 ounce #8 Magnum
16.7 grains Hodgdon Titewad
DR XXL Pink Wad
Fio 616 Primer

Broke targets well/hard when I did my part and velocity seemed good, but it was very dirty and had a sharper (not hard, but snappy) recoil than I was expecting. I've been using Titewad in my 1 oz loads and have been very happy with its performance and clean burn.

Can anyone recommend a cleaner burning powder for 7/8 oz use with the same components in the recipe? Clays/Claydot perhaps? Does 17.3 grains of Clays seem about right? I'd like something in the 1225-1250 fps if possible.

Nate

·
Administrator
23,773 Posts
Nate_Evans said:
Anyone have any experience using Titewad for 7/8 oz loads? I shot four boxes of the following recipe at 5-stand today:

Rem. Hull
7/8 ounce #8 Magnum
DR XXL Pink Wad
Fio 616 Primer

Broke targets well/hard when I did my part and velocity seemed good, but it was very dirty and had a sharper (not hard, but snappy) recoil than I was expecting. I've been using Titewad in my 1 oz loads and have been very happy with its performance and clean burn.

Can anyone recommend a cleaner burning powder for 7/8 oz use with the same components in the recipe? Clays/Claydot perhaps? Does 17.3 grains of Clays seem about right? I'd like something in the 1225-1250 fps if possible.

Nate
Nate;
Burn quality is improved by making higher pressure. You might have to hunt a bit to get that low a velocity and high pressure in the 7/8 load. BTW, it is worse in the 3/4 oz loadings. I got used to a bit of soot, and never had any mal-functions in the Wife's auto that I can attribute to powder deposits.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
Nate_Evans said:

Rem. Hull
7/8 ounce #8 Magnum
DR XXL Pink Wad
Fio 616 Primer

Nate
Nate,
My go to 7/8 oz. 12 ga. load is in fact about what you stated. I use the Fio 616 Primer, in either AA or Rem. cases. 17.3 grs. Clays, a WAA12L wad or the Claybuster clone the CB0178-12, and 7/8 oz. shot.

This load burns fairly clean, breaks targets with authority and has very little recoil. Runs a tad over 1200 FPS, about 1220 last time I checked.

DLM

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

This is my first attempt at 7/8 oz. I was thinking it was probably a pressure related thing, but I've always had good luck with listed pressures of more than 9000 psi. Hodgdon lists the pressure as 9,500 psi for the given load. Should I be looking for something with even more pressure for 7/8 oz?

Are Fio 616 more powerful than Fed 209A and Win 209? The Hodgdon website lists the pressure for 18 grains Titewad over a Fed 209A as 10,700 psi and 17.6 grains over a Fio 616 as 11,300. Rem 209P listed as 18.4 gr. at 9,400 psi and Win 209 as 18.6 gr. at 9,200 psi. I know there are alot of variables, but I though the Fed 209A were about the hottest primer out there, but I'm open to correction.

D L Marcum said:
My go to 7/8 oz. 12 ga. load is in fact about what you stated. I use the Fio 616 Primer, in either AA or Rem. cases. 17.3 grs. Clays, a WAA12L wad or the Claybuster clone the CB0178-12, and 7/8 oz. shot.

This load burns fairly clean, breaks targets with authority and has very little recoil. Runs a tad over 1200 FPS, about 1220 last time I checked.DLM
Thanks, I'll try it out when I get some Clays, sounds like a good load. I may play with the Titewad load in the meantime, but I'm trying to keep it around the same velocity as my 1 oz load (about 1240 fps).

Nate

·
Administrator
23,773 Posts
Nate_Evans said:
Thanks,

This is my first attempt at 7/8 oz. I was thinking it was probably a pressure related thing, but I've always had good luck with listed pressures of more than 9000 psi. Hodgdon lists the pressure as 9,500 psi for the given load. Should I be looking for something with even more pressure for 7/8 oz?

Are Fio 616 more powerful than Fed 209A and Win 209? The Hodgdon website lists the pressure for 18 grains Titewad over a Fed 209A as 10,700 psi and 17.6 grains over a Fio 616 as 11,300. Rem 209P listed as 18.4 gr. at 9,400 psi and Win 209 as 18.6 gr. at 9,200 psi. I know there are a lot of variables, but I though the Fed 209A were about the hottest primer out there, but I'm open to correction.

D L Marcum said:

This load burns fairly clean, breaks targets with authority and has very little recoil. Runs a tad over 1200 FPS, about 1220 last time I checked.DLM
Thanks, I'll try it out when I get some Clays, sounds like a good load. I may play with the Titewad load in the meantime, but I'm trying to keep it around the same velocity as my 1 oz load (about 1240 fps).

Nate
Trust me, the velocity difference at the target is negligible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.