Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A spot i'm going to hunt rabbit has thick chapparel. shots are from 10 feet to maybe 25 yards . i went last week and didn't get any with my 22 but saw 3 all within 15-35 feet. its so thick that the moment you see them flush u have about 1 second before they are out of sight and into cover.I think I need a shotgun to have a chance when with other people. Its hard to wait for them to circle back and stalk them before moving on if you aren't alone. my buddy does good with a semi auto 22 and iron sights . I'll have to take off the weaver 2.5-7 if i use the rifle in that spot again cuz its going to get scratched.
I think the loud bang of the shotgun is going to scare the rabbits cuz the area is hunted alot and mostly with shotguns.

I just got the cash in hand for the 870 express 12 ***** . I'll be buying it on wed .

It comes with modified and i'm thinking about getting an improved cyl. choke for hunting rabbit right when i pick up the gun .

i'm wondering about some LEAD FREE loads that would be good for this . I'm going to be eating them. Cost is a consideration cuz i'll have to get in practice with the loads and I'm broke !

can someone recomend a load for the imrpoved cyl choke and one for the modified ? for cotton tail and brush rabbit.... all i know size 5 or 6 shot is about right

and maybe a load for jacks probably with modified choke since i'll be hunting those in the desert with more open cover?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
That close, a CYL choke would be best, along with a $4.25 box of #6 Game Loads. For Jacks, especially out in the open, a full choke and #4 shot would be better. Lead free shot isn't cheap, and you won't be harmed by eating game shot with lead, I swear :lol:

BT

·
Registered
169 Posts
i would use the modified with a load of 1.1/4 oz. of #5 or #6 shot i would but just any type winchester super x will work or rem game loads just a 1 1/4 oz of lead in #5 or #6 shot will work in any brand i would buy #5 and #6 shot to see what patterns good

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Why do you need non-tox for bunnies? Special reg area?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
stockranger said:
i'm wondering about some LEAD FREE loads that would be good for this . I'm going to be eating them.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to hold fishing sinkers in my mouth when i was a kid cuz they would easily get lost in your pocket. i'm ok so far but i don't want to have any more exposure if its easily avoidable. Then again i wear hippie deoderant cuz aluminum causes dementia and alzeheimers.I work construction so imagine how that smells haha . I'll start with some lead for now.

i just purchased the 870! I got to pick from three unopened boxes . the clerk brought them all out and i got the one with the best wood. I looked it over carefully and noted that the rib was perfectly straight . atleast half of the 870's i've looked at the rib on the bottom left next to the reciever has a slight wave to the edge. I'm PUMPED UP and ready to go !

·
Registered
981 Posts
stockranger: I to am a rabbit hunter & I eat them, I try to remove all the pellets but if I eat one I am not going to worry about it. If you are concerned about the lead. You can take DMSA capsules: Very good for removing lead fron the body. Cheap & easy to take. Sold in the drug store. I use a modified choke in my Remington 870 12ga no.6 shot 1oz 225 pellets field load.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It gonna sound like Rabbit Hunters Anon. here in a minute!

I too am a rabbit hunter and eat every one that I take. The pellets out of your shotgun will usually pass right thru them. #6s or #5s, if ya can find them(but not Magnum shells).
If you're cleaning them and see a hole or bruised spot on one side but no exit hole just take a sharp small bllded knife and slit the meat on the off side. The pellet will be surrounded with small amouts of hair that should be gotten out anyway.

Not that I've ever tried them, but I have read other posts concerning them... Jack Rabbits evidently aren't the most appetizing of the rabbit family. I'm sure others here can tell ya more but I'd check around before trying to eat one.

HWD

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
CZMark said:
Beginner Trap said:
stockranger said:
i'm wondering about some LEAD FREE loads that would be good for this . I'm going to be eating them.
You are far more likely to be harmed by steel shot (cracked/broken tooth) than by any lead shot in a rabbit.
There is a far more serious hazard than that with steel: ricochet! It is very dangerous to shoot steel shot loads at the ground. When steel shot hits a rock, it doesn't flatten like lead, it bounces off; sometimes back at you. Don't shoot steel at ground targets!

I like #6 shot for rabbits.

Good hunting,
desmobob

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok i got the shotgun today and the improved cyl choke . I can't find many places with number 6 and the selection is small . I assume its cuz its hunting season.

Do i want to be useing like 1 1/8 ounce game load ? or some of them say pheasant load (they are a few hundred more fps?) I don't see any that say target load in number 6 .

one last question. I see quail , lots of them , where the rabbits are . both are in season at the same time. would size 6 shot be reasonable for them or would it blow them away? .... what i'm getting at is , is there a choke/ shot combo that will work for quail and rabbit ? both are in the same spot so similar ranges but quail could be slightly further since they fly, most the quail seemd to flush when i'm within 1-25 feet. I almost stepped on one last time !

·
Registered
11,695 Posts
One oz. of #6 should work good on both bunny and bird. You probably want a cylinder or even a spreader choke though. Buy the cheapest 1oz. to 1 1/4oz. loads you can find. The cheaper (softer) lead will open up faster.Aim for air in front of the bunnies' nose. It has been my expirience that you can never lead a bunny to much. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my first rabbit ! It was a brush rabbit and i hit it on the run going away from me . It was about about 15 feet infront of me and I had a split second to react before it went into the brush .. I hit it with size 6 1 1/4 oz gameload with imp. cyl. choke . didn't seem to do too much damage infact it was paralized but still alive. I broke its neck to end it quick.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Good shooting :wink:

BT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.