Shotgun Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
My buddy just bought the A300 Ultima 20 for his 13 year old daughter. I've got a 4 or 5 year old A300 in 12 ***** as my duck gun, its worked flawlessly. Have a 391 12 *****, that also has been a flawless gun in 18 years of hard hunting and clays use.

I have a Tri-Star Viper G2 in 20. I like it a lot. It however did break the main recoil spring at 500 rounds. Tri-Star had a replacement in my hands in 2 days. Fluke maybe? Foreshadowing the future? I bought it as a test of Turkish guns of sorts. Buds Gun Shop gives a lifetime warranty for $29 on it. Many like them. The trigger on mine is still over 7# even after the mcarbo spring replacement. Time for the polishing stones to come out. As said above, they're the same gun as the Mossberg. In 28, they're the same gun as the Weatherby. In the 12 and 20 the Weatherby is built by the other big Turkish Manufacturer ( I think that is how that goes).

If my wife wasn't looking at the checkbook, I'd buy a Beretta A400 in 20 just to play with.

Benelli Montefeltro 20's can also be had for around $1000. They never get bad reviews.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The Mossberg and Tristar Viper are both made by Armsan . the Tristar has a 5 year warranty. I have the Viper 28 gauge. On the advice of Randy I sent My trigger group to Precision Sports. it came back in a week with a 4 3/4 # pull that breaks like a rifle. Any time I have called Tristar a real Live Human has answered the phone. Good Luck.

·
Registered
915 Posts
That was a great video. Thank you for sharing. I'm thinking I might be sold on that Mossberg. Do you think it's better than the Beretta A300?
Well, the mossy certainly did well on RW's comparison test...but we all have our own preferences...and my preference favors the Beretta A300 Ultima.
YMMV, but it may boil down to taking RW's advice and go with the gun that fits you best...may be time to do a comparison test between the models that you have your eye on to see which one is the best fit for your dimensions...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
CZgunner,

If I was looking for a nice 28 gauge semi, I would look at the Rem 1100 listed on GI, they have a few for sale at reasonable costs. If you want a nice engraved one they have those also. Quality old guns for sure.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you’re wanting a soft shooting 12 or 20 gauge semi auto priced under $800 like the title says, then the 20 gauge A300 Ultima is the answer to your question. Especially if your LOP is long enough to shoot it with the kickoff. I own a compact 20 SX4, a compact Sa-08, I’ve owned an Sa-20, and I just purchased a 20 gauge A300 Ultima last night. I did a cycling test, and recoil comparison between the three I currently own last night.

The A300 shot the softest, followed by the SX4, and then the Sa-08. I don’t have many rounds through the A300 yet, but I’ll fix that issue this weekend. I am curious to see what my 5’1” 110lb gf thinks about the felt recoil compared to the other two once I remove the kickoff to shorten the LOP.
Wood Musical instrument accessory Hardwood Knife Air gun

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thank you for that input. The shops that I've contacted are selling the Mossberg and TriStar just under $600. Not sure they are a great value since the Beretta is only $150 more.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
try the Franchi Affinity semi auto, very soft shooting and requires very little cleaning
I shouldered an Affinity and fell in love with it. It’s very light and points perfectly naturally for me. I bought the A300 Ultima instead because it is a gas gun, has great features and looks, and is a touch heavier. I shoot clay games and don’t want to get beat up by the gun. I have no regrets.

·
Registered
367 Posts
try the Franchi Affinity semi auto, very soft shooting and requires very little cleaning
The affinity is a fine inertia gun, but it is not soft shooting. Inertia guns don’t even begin to cycle, until the shooter is recoiled back, energizing the spring in the bolt that forces it back to cycle the gun. That’s why shooters often feel two pulses when shooting inertia guns. The recoil from the fired shot, and then the pulse from the bolt cycling back. No inertia gun will shoot as soft as a gas gun. The advantages of inertia guns are that they run much cleaner, are generally lighter in weight, and are a simple and easy design to maintain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It's amazing, people will bid up on gunbroker to the price that you pay in the store and beyond. And you still need to pay shipping. I've called the Billings, MT Cabela's and they don't have any 20 gauges in stock. I guess this will be a long process trying to find something.

·
Registered
34 Posts
local dealer near here has them online for 798, not sure how much shipping is. I got lucky passing a different LGS, happen to stop in on my way to buy the one for 798 and he just had one come in and was priced lower at 725 so i didnt hesitate and bought it right there

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
local dealer near here has them online for 798, not sure how much shipping is. I got lucky passing a different LGS, happen to stop in on my way to buy the one for 798 and he just had one come in and was priced lower at 725 so i didnt hesitate and bought it right there
I have called around and they sell for $750 when they have them. Transfers are $25 and shipping is $20-40 depending on where the shop is. If I buy in MT there isn't sales tax. I'm not desperate to have it right now, so I'm not paying full price plus shipping, transfer and tax.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
i dont blame you, i really needed a new gun and happened on my deal but was willing to shell out the dough at msrp if needed. i plan on saving for a bit and buying a 626, but needed something now and I am very happy with my desicion. I hope your LGS gets one for you soon, you wont regret it.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts