41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
go used. get a win model 50.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most budget guns will shoot and cycle just fine. Yes there are a few models that have a lot less final finishing on the parts, deburring and such, that may cause an occasional issue. But overall I've found the low end SA's and O/Us to be a great buy when budget, beginners, backup or loaner gun is on the shopping list. My last gun in this category was a Charles Daly Field 20 3" from WalMart. It's a beautifully made light weight 20 with Rem chokes and it had the youth stock option in a seperate kit for a few bucks more. After cleaning and properly lubricating it, which many fail to do with newly acquired guns, it has never failed once. Similar 20's can be bought today in the $265 - $500 price range depending what has the most eye appeal to you. And the crazy thing is, right now in this gun market, if you end up not liking it, it has good odds to resell for more than you paid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well, after lots of going back and forth I bid on and won an SA-20 for a pretty cheap price. If I hate it, I'll trade it toward something else. What choke do these use?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well, after lots of going back and forth I bid on and won an SA-20 for a pretty cheap price. If I hate it, I'll trade it toward something else. What choke do these use?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It’s been a few years since I had mine, but If I’m not mistaken, I believe it takes Mobil chokes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I friend asked me to brink my wheelybird over to his house today, so his 8 year old son could shoot some clays. He purchased a Tristar Viper G2 for him earlier in the year. He wanted to get his son to shoot my son’s Weatherby Sa-08 along with the Tristar. The guns were very similar in dimensions, with the Weatherby being a little lighter in weight. He was shooting Winchester AA 7/8oz #7.5 1300fps loads. The tristar cycled them without failure, as did the Weatherby.

I wish we would have had some 7/8oz 1200fps loads to run through the Tristar, as that’s the round I’ve seen give most 20 gauge autoloaders cycling issues. His son really liked the Briley bolt handle and release I had installed on the Sa-08. He had trouble pulling the bolt handle back, and pushing the bolt release on the Tristar, but had no trouble with the Sa-08.

My friend asked about them, and I informed him the parts are actually for a Beretta 390, but the bolt handle from a 390 will fit in the bolt of the Sa-08. The Briley bolt release is also made for a beretta, but the shell catch required a little work to fit in the Sa-08.

He asked if the Briley parts would fit on the Tristar, so I disassembled it to inspect the parts. The bolt handle is definitely different. I don’t believe Briley makes a bolt handle that will fit the Tristar. However, the shell catch does closely resemble the shell catch on the Sa-08. I did not remove the bolt release to compare them side by side, but the mechanism looked very similar.

He let me put a few rounds through the Tristar, and I have to admit, it handled and shot well. I’d still like to put some 1200fps loads through it, but this one cycled lighter loads much better than the Sa-20 I purchased a few years ago. I still wouldn’t choose one over the Sa-08 for my son though. They are close, but the Sa-08 is a little lighter. That gave it the advantage for me.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts