Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've got both, so I slapped a ruler across them. The 12 gauge frame is 1 and five-eigths across and the 20 ga is 1.5 inches across. That one-eigth difference may not seem like much but just the butt sections 'heft' differently and when you toss in the smaller amount of barrel steel the 20 ga gun is really, really light.

My first high power gun was a surplus SMLE in .303 British. I still remember that gun fondly. Actually was pretty accurate and the cock-on-close makes for a really fast working action. With Rem. 180 gr Core-lokt bullets it was a deer killer!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply my local gunshop has a couple of 12g guns I looked at talking with the owner I said one in 20g would be nice at that stage they were not available but he has since told me the importer is bringing 10 into Australia and I am very keen on one
your right about the old SMLE they are great rilfes and when setup very good shooters I don't think you would find a faster action

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Smlekid,

The 20 Yildiz is very nice, a couple other 20s in the gun cabinet are not getting much range action since I bought the 20. It is a trim, handy gun.

FS

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yipes, I hadn't thought about you being Aussie. I thought the government had disarmed you untrustworthy citizen types. I assume the rules on scatterguns are a bit less restrictive?

For me, a frustration is that although Yildiz makes side by sides the US importer hasn't brought any in. I'd love to have a couple.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hey Hotcha,

Even in China the peasants could have a shotgun---if

1. Your blood line back three generations was all Red.
2. You had a month's salary to spend on a gun
3. You were willing to live with the 10 shells at a time rule and buy your amunition from the police. All 10 hulls had to be turned in in order to get another 10.

Phesant hunting in China was like Turkey shooting here, sneek up on one on the gound and shoot for the head. With 10 shells at a time no one was willing to risk wing shooting.

BTW most of the shotguns I saw were IZH 27 clones or similar--guess they are all now shooting Pardner Pumps :roll:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no not quite dissarmed while we certaintly do not have the freedoms of some countrys it is at least livable if not a bit of a pain at times as for 10 guns being imported the 20g is not popular in Oz so i guess these are coming to test the water so to speak
here we are 12g all the way people don't like using light shot weights here in fact I think some people will not believe that 7/8oz will break clays just as far away as there 1 1/8oz boomers I really think the mere thought upsets them
our gunlaws basically make it a bit harder to own centrefire rifles we have to provide a genuine need (target shooting, hunting pest destruction etc) and a genuine reason (why do I want a 458 win mag mr policeman I'm going after buffaloes that kind of thing) luckily rimfires and shotguns are exempt from the need and reason stuff (at the moment) I beleive that some recent world events have relaxed a lot of peoples views on firearms in this country of late we dont seem to have the anti's jumping all over the place

·
Registered
336 Posts
To an American at present it still sounds ouch. The thought of being at the mercy of a bureaucrat's whim as to whether the reason you want a gun is legit or not would worry heck out of me, but the anti's are trying like crazy here to get some judge, any judge to rule against the Constitution and we've got a fight on our hands.

Ah, the good ol' days. As a broke college kid I haunted military surplus stores which had military bolt guns literally by the barrel. I decided on a No. 1, Mark III SMLE (they were cheaper than Mausers at $35-$40) and was lucky enough to have a gunsmith friend of my dad's to look over the selection. $25 cash and carry and it was mine. Forms from the gov't, we doan need no steenkin' forms! Shot that gun for years. Surplus WW1 cordite-loaded rounds were 10 cents apiece in small quantity and the sights on the gun were set up for that round. I could drop rounds all day long in a tire way up on a chat pile (mining waste) at what the sights said was 800 yards. Loaded for it with a hand Lee loader. Never should have sold that gun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.