Shotgun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into buying a reloader, but am not sure on the make to get. I hear that MEC (Mayville Engineering Company) was a great company. I'm looking for one that has the charge bar, primer feed-tray, is progressive, and not too pricey. I would like the use to be for Turkey, goose, duck and various vermin. Although, I do shoot trap as a lesiure.

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
MEC makes a great product. Parts, addons, and support are very easy to find.If you want to reload for steel and non-tox, a majority of that, an exception being bismuth, is hand weighed, especially with Alliant Steel powder, some of the new recipes are using blue dot and some others less bulky powders which meter better than Steel. A progressive is more for volume loading, with a MEC 600jr which is a single stage, you can put together 100-125 skeet or trap loads in an hour....you can double or tripple that with a progressive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You may as well spend the $$$ and get a Spolar. Like buying a Benz.For the best bang for your $$ get the Mec. Just sent my 9000G back for $37.00 and had it rebuilt

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you're reloading mostly for hunting, than a progressive reloader is probably a bit overboard.I have two MEC sizemasters, one in 12 Ga and the other in 20 Ga. The sizemaster is a do-it-all single stage which has a re-sizing collet and an auto primer tray. It's simple to use and is more than adequate to reload a sizeable amount of shells.The Sizemaster sells for about $135. I bought mine from Gamaliel:www.gamaliel.com/CMoore

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use a MEC 9000 for 12ga a SIZE MASTER 20gs and a Jr. for 16ga. They all work flawlessly. It sounds like you might be looking for a Sizemaster. It is a singal stage loader but it has a primer dispenser.The price is , I think is around 150-175 $$$Rick, It takes only 10 min to knock out 100 rounds on the 9000 if you have the hulls and wads all ready to go. and thats federal paper with the 12C1 wads. AA's and claybusters go a little faster.

·
Registered
59 Posts
One of you said you can knock out 100 shells every 10 minutes with a 9000G ? Is this correct or were you referring to the 9000H ?

What are the spolars and what is the advantage in owning any of these ?

Im looking for a reloader that will really PRODUCE shells quickly and efficiently , but can be adjusted for a variety of 12 gauge recipes.

Whats the difference between the 9000G and the 8567 grabber?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I get about 600 rounds per hour out of my Grabber 8567. The 9000G offers auto indexing and auto finished shell ejection. I have heard folks who love the 9000G and those who hate them. Since they auto index if you have an adjustment problem you can end up with power all over the place. For me the 8567 does fine and if I get a problem with a shell it is easy to take it out of the rotation and keep moving. Either way if your machine is adjusted right you should be able to chunk out 600+ rounds an hour with either unit. I think stopping to refill shot , primers and powder takes as much time as the actual loading process myself. I would recomend getting the tall bottle for shot and buying the bottle support ($16.99). for either unit.

Good luck

APEXDUCK

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
i always recommend a mec 9000g. i have used them since 1992, and have loaded over 500k rounds through four. on a good day, when my blood sugar is ok ( i am diabetic), i can load 100 rds 12 ga in about 8 minutes. that is not slinging the handle, that is getting the hull and wad in the press quickly. a press that is twice as expensive and no faster is no bargain. and as someone on this post noted, mec service is impeccable.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Of course, it just depends on how many shells you plan to shoot this year. If it is bunches, a progressive is the way to go. Otherwise, look to the single stage stuff from MEC.

-Chase

·
Registered
135 Posts
My choice is a Ponsness Warren 375C - this is the one for quality if your wallet can handle it. Mine works and works - otherwise a MEC Jr. or Sizemaster are good values. I also question the need for a progressive for a casual shotgunner. Progressive reloaders have a real place in pistol, rifle and shotgun sports but more for the competiton high volume shooter in my opinion. Loading hevi, t/m or steel is a weigh the charge as well as perhaps the special powder and you have to add bufferwraps and any overshot cards seperately so a progressive reloader has limited application. If you must have a progressive then you are in luck because Ponsness Warren make 'em also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts